1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Feb 17, 2017.

1. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Simeone doesn't play negative or boring football. Just because a side is difficult to beat doesn't make their football ugly. His Atletico side play their game according to who they're facing. But his philosophy is based on a solid defence which for me is a basis for great attacking football. We have players that are great going forward. Someone like Simeone will change the mentality of the team. Make them street smart and get them working hard for each other. The solidarity and mentality Arsene always "talks" about will actually be evident.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hmm .. do you think Mourinho plays negative football? Because if anything Simeone is more conservative than Mourinho. If there is a negative TOP side in Europe.. It would have to be Athletico.

In a comparison with Barca and Real well because they play in the same league against the same opposition.

2016/2017 Soo far..
    Barcelona - GS 63 GA 29
    Real Madrid GS 57 GA 20
    Atlético Madrid GS 43 GA 19

2015/2016
    Barcelona - GS 112 GA 29
    Real Madrid GS 110 GA
    Atlético Madrid GS 63 GA 18

2014/2015
    Barcelona GS 110 GA 21
    Real Madrid GS 118 GA 38
    Atlético Madrid GS 67 GA 29

Now Im not saying its necessarily a BAD thing. Just that Athletico are clearly a very defensive team. A team many people would describe as 'negative'.

3. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

La Liga is a duopoly especially with attacking players. With the firepower Barca and Real have it is unfair to compare them with Atletico. Of the rest of the pack they will be up they among the top scorers. We have the ammunition going forward to score goals.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  4. TheBear

True, its hard to compare with the Premierleague. I would still maintain that Simeone is one of the more defensive coaches around.

Wether that's a negative or not is up for debate but I do think it may hinder his chances of managing Arsenal.

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I've seen Athletico play and they generally play very good attacking football. But being solid and defensively sound is very important for a club that doesn't have unlimited funds or the luxury of being able to attract elite players like Real and Barca. As Blukt has pointed out, it is a duopoly in La Liga but the way Simeone has challenged them is magnificent, not many managers in history could go up against teams with a front three of Messi, Suarez and Neymar, or Bale, Ronaldo or Benzema. Those front line ups are ridiculously good, that's why they score so many goals!

The only way Arsenal will be able to challenge for the title or CL is by being defensively solid and build from that. We've never looked the same since the 90's and early 2000's, we've always looked vulnerable and still do now.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  6. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

If we think back, pre-Arsene we were defensively solid but lacked flare. Arsene came in and brought in that flare which made us scary to play against. After that strong defence got phased out we went in the opposite direction. Gung-ho and brainless at times. We need someone that will brings us back to the basics and give us that balance. You can't lose you don't concede. This is where we need to start from.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  7. TheBear

To describe Simeone's football as 'attacking' is utter nonsense.
    If anything he adapted the Mourinho style modern counter attacking game. Basically if you have ever described Mourinho or Allardyce as negative you are being hypocritical here. He's a great manager but he is uber defensive.

This is a pretty decent article on Athletico under Simeone.
    http://theinsidechannel.com/guide-atletico-madrids-tactics-diego-simeone/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  8. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

That article makes me want him more lol

9. TheBear

Yeah like I said he's a fantastic manager but let's not start being like Chelsea fans (under Moureen) and pretending he's actually not a defensively minded coach. Beside's he's not even properly linked to the job yet.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  10. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Erm sounds a lot like Wenger's early teams, break at devastating pace, which i and many loved watching back in the days. But comparing him to Mourinho (Allardyce is just piss taking) is nonsense. Mourinho had much more financial muscle at Chelsea and the competition was far poorer - Fergie was coming to the end of his career and Wenger was no longer a threat. So when he employed such ultra defensive setups they weren't justified. . But your sweeping generalisations of Athletico being negative and only defensive is wrong. A defensive team wouldn't beat Leverkusen 4-2 away.

11. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I watch La Liga a lot, I like how Simeone goes about matches. Against the top 2 "obviously" (not to Arsene at least) they are more compact and disciplined. Against other teams they control games. I really don't buy the negative manager thing with regards to Simeone.

12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

oh my days. Jose Mourinho won la liga with record number of goals. As for chelseas titles, he was winning them with more goals scored than arsenal in 2 of the 3 championship winning seasons (his team finished 2nd in goals scored for the season he didnt finish above arsenal).

Goals does not equal an attacking manager. We had a fantastic champions league tie against barca winning 4-2.

Jose is a defensive manager and whilst Simeone is a fantastic manager, he's also a defensive one. Yes they pass the ball along the ground but so do 99% of teams in la-liga. Simeone has a defensive setup even against the smaller teams. As you can see i agree with the bear

Sign Da Ting and TheBear like this.
  13. TheBear

He's more defensive than Mourinho. Nowhere near as attacking as early Arsenal. I wouldn't call him 'negative' and I dont have an issue with those tactics but it is what it is.

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

The whole point of the negative manager thing is that if simeones/mourinhos teams are winning, they will "control" the game. They won't continue attacking, and they will make sure they are solid at the back. Not a bad thing but they are primarily there to win games, their players work hard and track back. There are no players that aren't working hard. Not a bad thing, but they care little for flair if that is not combined with work rate.

15. TheBear

Thankfully someone talking sense.

16. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

I think Eddie Howe should get the job if indeed Wenger does leave.

Arsenal have won two of the last three FA Cups, haven't they?

Major trophy.

Nice problems to have.

17. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

I think so too, though it will be more victorious if he'll stay with Bournemouth until they made statement, IMO.

18. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I think Howe is still too inexperienced for the role. I would obviously back him were he to ever become Arsenal manager and he's shown some glimpses at Bournemouth that he has potential to be a very good manager, but he wouldn't be at the top of my list at all.

Allegri, Tuchel, Jardim, Simeone (if it was possible), Blanc, Emery, Hasenhüttl & Schmidt would all be ahead of Howe, for me.

gooner4ever and Sign Da Ting like this.
  19. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Eddie Howe is the pound shop Wenger, only rival fans would want him to get the Arsenal job.

Sign Da Ting, TheBear and winifred122 like this.
  20. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

More rumours about allegri apparently telling "friends at dinner" he's going to manage Arsenal next season.

Sign Da Ting likes this.