1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New kit..Love it!

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Jun 23, 2017.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Four facts Beth! (As you know my work has led me to develop some non scientific knowledge of this particular nightmare).
    1. The prevalence is actually declining in the U.K., especially amongst men, it is thought because of lifestyle changes
    2. The absolute numbers though are rising because of demography, there are simply more of us getting older, in the dementia age range
    4. I don't think that there is a real downward trend in the age of onset, it's just a perception because there is slightly less stigma attached to this clutch of diseases nowadays
    3. The number of people getting a diagnosis of dementia, and Alzheimer's in particular, has risen hugely. Doctors were reluctant to give the diagnosis because there is no real treatment and it's distressing for the patient and relative. But a couple of years ago GPs were 'incentivised' (I.e. paid) to refer more people to neurologists.

Not a fact but a hope. There is an enormous amount being spent on research in this area. I think that within 5 years we will have treatments which will slow the progression of Alzheimer's at least, and within 10-15 a cocktail of treatments may be able to stop it entirely if treatment starts early enough - we've done it with HIV, we can do it with Alzheimer's too. There's not much we can do about vascular dementia, the type caused by invisible mini strokes as well as bigger strokes, except lifestyle changes - manage your weight and blood pressure. Which of course also does a lot to stave off cardiovascular disease and diabetes etc. Also some evidence to show that a healthy lifestyle helps prevent Alzheimer's too. For reasons unrelated to dementia I made the changes early last year and have lost over 20 pounds as a result*. Feel great, although one side effect is an insufferable increase in vanity, not an attractive trait in a 56 year old (or anyone for that matter). But dementia is still a lottery, your genes play a big role, and a trip to Switzerland while sufficient wits remain is still my 'go to' ultimate treatment.

All too late for poor old Stan, alas.

* the sb uncopyrighted diet and exercise regime available free on request.

Devonhoop and NorwayRanger like this.
  2. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Very interesting indeed Stan...
    Sorry to pedantic, but whilst I have a few marbles left... when you say the "The prevalence is actually declining in the U.K., especially amongst men," ...do you actually mean incidence.
    So I think you mean that the incidence (the new case rate per year) is falling but the prevalence (total number of people) is rising
    That is really my persception...and I am also aware how much money is being thrown at symptomatic treatments.
    I am unsure that we will stop it completely, as I suspect AD is a natural course of aging, with the build up of amyloids and fibrils being "natural", but to slow it down until death by other causes take their toll, would be remarkable. I know you are right about GP being incentivised too. We had a very agressive GP who really pushed us to get our aunt tested, so he could certify as having AD...and get some money. It was obscene, how much pressure she was put under to be subjected to tests, which scared her

I need a copy of the "sb diet"....as this last work stretch has left me sedentary and my weight has increased.
    I hope that retirement will mean activity, but if not it will be the the sb73 diet for me....it doesn't involved "drinking-less" though does it!!!!!!!!

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You are of course right - the incidence (per 100,000) has fallen. This is why I am not a scientist!
    I hope the amyloid hypothesis is proved properly soon so we can get going on treatments.
    I will PM you the sb73 holistic regime. Sadly it does involve a reduction in booze, but I am a long way from being teetotal!

4. West London Willy

West London Willy Well-Known Member

Back on happier ground, my 16/17 shirt just arrived, fits brilliantly, and will be making it's debut public appearance at the Bournemouth game (well, actually before the game at the C&S for any of you beer-drinkers who will be there...)