1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New east stand

Discussion in 'Watford' started by OxheyWFC, Sep 23, 2013.

1. OxheyWFC

OxheyWFC Member

2. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I wonder if "the option of adding a front load facility into the design" will mean similar to how the Rous Stand was done where there were what looked liked shutters when the stand was initially built, and then the LR was added later.

I'd love to know what junk they find under there, to know potentially how close we came to another Bradford.

3. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

i'm not going to comment about Watford and Gaywoods <whistle>

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Glad to see it on the move however big it will be. I still think that the construction will be 'interesting' for the engineers. I think it is wise that they have gone with perhaps a more modest design at this stage. Interesting to note that the redesigned Stadio Friuli will reduce the capacity from 41,000 to 25,000 for Udinese.

5. Kismet110

Kismet110 Member

When I initially heard 3,000 I was a bit dissapointed thinking somewhere around 5,000 would be the figure.

But as mentioned above the front-loading bit element might be dependent on future gates so hopefully we'll have the option to up it accordingly.

GREAT news though, the 4th stand was becoming a bit of an (unfunny) joke.....

6. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

It will be 3000 to start but the way its constructed will allow for in increase when needed in future. I guess its simply to save time. Its useless building a 5000 seater stand if its going to take all season. We need he extra capacity ASAP, and this will give us the space.

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! I am overjoyed!

7. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

8. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Best result for a long time this, our 3-sided gorund is a bit of a joke unfortunately.

NICE ONE POZZOS.

9. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Me too Dan was wondering if I would see it my lifetime gotto love those Pozzos :)

10. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I do hope that Jon Marks didn't jump the gun in his match commentary Saturday as several of us picked up the news that it would be built and used this season. Like Hornet Fez I think that it will be an "interesting" build, and I will be surprised if there is not some slippage in the time scale for it to be opened.

Will the players be changing in the Yellow and Red Lion I wonder, with free as much as you can drink strong ale for the opposing side before games? ;)

Looking forward to seeing the plans when published, but yet another step in keeping the feel good factor going. As Mme said when I told her, "anything has to be better than what we have to look at now".

11. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

What is Gaywoods?

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Gaywoods is a demolition company, whose registered address is in Pratt Mews. ;)

13. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

Looking at the product lines of glevents (thanks for the link g.a.) it seems we will be having a temporary or "semi-permanent" structure. Not a marquee I hope. Given the time frame of "this season" it could hardly be anything else. But an improvement on what is there now, no doubt about that. And an extra 3000 supporters getting behind the team must be a good thing. I do wonder where the dressing rooms will be though......visiting teams can change in their coach....

14. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Something is better than nothing - they probably want to make it 3k to see how the stand fills up and then develop later on.

Too many teams have stands which have cost money and they don't sell tickets for.

15. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I wonder how permanent the stand will be. I am mindful of the new 'temporary' stadium we have in Christchurch. It has been designated as temporary but will probably be used for at least 10 years. It was built from scratch in months, has all the facilities large crowds require, and football fans can create a cracking atmosphere by pounding their feet. (Rugby fans hate atmosphere. They make even the quietest Watford crowd seem raucous.)

There is no aesthetic appeal to the place but it was basically created by engineers rather than architects.

For Watford it is about bums on seats at the moment, I would guess. Longer term plans will have regulatory requirements. Pleasing news, though.

What we need now is an old Main Stand stories thread.

16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Fulham have had a 'Temporary' stand for years...

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I see that a petition has been started to ask the club to call the new stand the Graham Taylor stand. Not sure that he would agree to it, but he did take the club from nowhere to the top and really deserves to be remembered. Without him and EJ I am not that sure we would still have a club to support. EJ refused to have the Rous named after him, but it would be great if he would agree now to allow that and we could then have both in our ground every game.

Maybe the Rookery could be called the Bassett end and the Vic RD stand the Bassini end. Just a helpful suggestion.;)

18. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Yeah, up their ends OFH.

19. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

What about calling it "The Elton Johns' Taylor Made Stand"

20. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

They did the new stand at Worcester Warriors - looks not bad for temporary... 800px-Sixways_SlickSystems_East_Stand.jpg