1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

National service!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Norwayhornet, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Best way to be - and it is good to have others on here - main problem with not606 is that the different voices are fewer than we need - perhaps we should repeat posts from 606 to see if we can attract comments here too

I also hope that Aber too appreciates that this is not a dictatorial site where genuinely different views cannot find expression

2. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

And what does make people in society obnoxious is substance abuse, we all like a bevvy but...... and looking back how bad were we eh Norway???? and I got worse before I got better..

3. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Nice to see Leo gettin a bit of practice for when the real muppets turn up!!! Coz it will happen:)

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Leo, I don't think you need worry about him. His initial postings were designed to aggravate and get a response. You can imagine how some other sites would have dealt with him, simply returning comments of a similar nature. I think that by the reasoned replies he changed his approach to those of a normal person. ;)

5. Norwayhornet

Hearts and minds Frenchie ,hearts and minds;)

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I agree OFH - his first post was met with a warning and he responded to it positively even though it angered him - subsequent posts contained no abuse, swearing or deliberate wind ups. If he had got away with the style of his first post we would probably have needed to clear him out altogether - should be lesson for him to approach new sites with more caution - but he will say this is the "hypocritical headmaster" speaking :)

His second post was actually a near copy of the first but with one or two bits omitted so I wanted others on here to have a chance to make up their minds - it is not my place to act as censor as I do not want to be a BBC style mod - and it worked out well

When we get seriously tested by WUMmers and others I will rely on all your views in deciding what if any action is needed

7. Supergeo2411Wfc

I'm pretty amazing at Call of Duty but I don't know how I'd fare in real life <laugh>

8. aberdeenhornet

At half past midnight I'm thinking we should have a regiment equivalent to the French foreign legion recruiting those willing to go the extra mile, would be excellent at counter terrorism and wouldve got Bin Laden by now. In fact thats a good additional question why havnt we been able to get to Bin Laden and generally we seem to be poor at surgical assasinations.

9. Norwayhornet

The SAS had the chance to take out Saddam in the early days of gulf war one! but the leaders said no coz they were worried about a power vacum<doh>

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Aber - do you actually support Cardiff?

Whilst not really wanting to get drawn into discussion n 9/11 and 7/7 Aber I think your mistake is to assume a greater level of competence amongst our agencies than probably exists. There may well have been intelligence beforehand on all sorts of plots but I suspect there are hundreds of such things and it is no surprise that many are not picked up - it is just that the ones that then take place are the ones that get examined and you think "why was that not acted on?" well the answer is likely to be for the same reason that hundreds of other "leads" are not followed up.

Bush was always a prat - Blair I confess when he came to power I hoped he would be a breath of fresh air but what a disappointment he turned out to be.

11. Norwayhornet

Evening Aber ,Leo Bush made Reagan look like a mastermind! Anyone remember those spittin image scenes, the presidents brain is missing, They used to crack me up:)

12. Norwayhornet

A young lad that I worked with a couple of years ago went into the Noggy airforce! on his 17 th birthday ,He visited me this afternoon , He has elected to stay in the airforce and is a officer and a F16 pilot!!! At the tender age of 19 he now earns heaps more than me ! Just thought this was relevant to our national service debate!!

13. aberdeenhornet

Wasn't that a documentary?

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OK Aber - you are dealing with National Security so what they could find and could not find you will never really know - you have no idea what sensitive material may or may not have been found and it is not for security agencies to share that type of information if they have any thought that it could be against their National Interest. Was building 7 not built on a landfill site and so could have been structurally less sound - I don't know - just a question. What do you think Bush and Blair would gain by attacking their own citizens - especially in the knowledge that if it ever was proved they would be exposed.

And I think that the upside down reading to (not 2 - this is an adult site :) ) kids was not onthe occasion you think it was

15. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Norway - I don't doubt that the forces have valuable training to provide - but it needs to be to volunteers - not coercing people into the armed forces just to get an education. An alternative is a decent programme of Apprenticeships

16. aberdeenhornet

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Leo, appreticeships and a change in attitude to the trades is needed. Germany values the blue collar and indeed Norway, its the case that the differential with you guys in Noggieland between the canteen chef and the office manager is tiny in terms of salary. We in the UK apply a stigma to blue collar work seeing it as second grade for those who fail to achieve white collar status. This is blatantly wrong, an invention of the weaker sex gradually pushed into our thinking to degrade our masculine right to supremacy..... (Norway get your Mrs to read that last bit.....)

17. Norwayhornet

Aberdeen .no I have to live in this house and while she is in a good mood ,you aint spoiling it<laugh>
    Leo the point I\m trying to make is if this youngster hadnt been called up, He would still be working with me doing a far more mundane job,by his own admission , the air force made him a man and gave him a career he never even dreamt of!

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You see Aber - that's where we fundamentally part - you see plot and intrigue by bankers behind a sort of worldwide conspiracy and adapt your senses to see that - when I was young my grandfather had "International Jewry" as the cause of the world's woes. Well that is your view and as we do not get to see security footage then we will never know for sure - and you do not know who I lost in New York or London so don't suggest what I would or would not want to know.

All I suggested about building 7 was that it may have had weaker foundations than the major skyscrapers built on the granite of Manhatten - the collapse of the other buildings were like a mini quake and could have undermined it - how can I know?

19. aberdeenhornet

Lucky lad flying fast jets was always my ambition, damn my right eye............

20. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

OK - Norway - I can't argue with that and am pleased for him - but wish he had been "forced" into such a apprenticeship in a non military environment