1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Murphy with promotion

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by nufc4life1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. nufc4life1

nufc4life1 Active Member

hi all what would yous do with Murphy if we do go up ?
    Personally I'd keep him a season for back up until Rafa gets his premier league squad as I don't think mitro or Gayle are gonna be the men we need
    I'm not slating Gayle I'm thinking more injuries etc
    Mitro in my opinion is over rated and I'd probably start Murphy over him
    Thoughts lads

J. J. McClure and RobEllious like this.
  2. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

It all depends on who gets bought.

Assuming we go up striker is a priority. To survive comfortably we will need a goal scorer of PL standard. Murphy won't do that. Neither will Gayle or Mitro as sole strikers.

If you have Newbie, Gayle plus 2 more. Does Rafa rate Mitro? Not as a first choice and Murphy is currently ahead between them but again is that because of the rumoured family problems or form?

I personally guess he will be kept but only as fourth choice and will he stay for that?

3. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Keep mate, he's an example to alot of our players still looking strong and effective at his age and we always love a non-conventional in the prem (sibierski, kuqi)

4. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Think he will tbf, chance to play prem and had enough belief in himself to come this season

5. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

If Mitro is getting sold, and I assume it would be to fund a more of a Gayle like (but better) type of number 9, then I'd keep Murphy. He'd do ok as a 3rd/4th choice much like he has this season. He grafts enough to at least get away with playing in the Premier League I reckon. The simple fact is while we might want to change most of the squad if we go up, we simply won't be able to so we have to carefully pick who stays and who gets replaced. I'd probably look to keep Gayle, Perez and Murphy and bring in a number 9 and a number 10. There will have to be money brought in from selling Mitrovic and hopefully Diame to help fund those two signings I reckon considering how many other areas we need to strengthen. Should easily get £20m in for them 2 players.

6. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I like Murphy and his workrate.
    He's the type of striker you want up front away to Stoke or Baggies in the pouring Winter rain.

7. General Lee Speaking

I'd still prefer Messi, like.

RobEllious and Obi Wan like this.
  8. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

I would have thought you would be continuing with the Newcastle success model spelled out to me on here
    IE Spend a hundred million on new players then sell Murphy and Perez for 40 million each

9. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

No way he's ****

Half the side needs replacing e

10. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I don't think he will cut it at PL level. If we are keeping a big man option I'd prefer it was Mitrovic. He has potential and still has a lot of time to develop. He still hasn't learned how to use his physical advantages yet.

I don't mind keeping all three current strikers however as long as we are signing one that fits with Benitez way of playing and guarantees a lot of goals. Defoe will be on a free <laugh>

11. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Murphy would be a decent stand in striker in the Prem, but should be first choice. He should've got far more games this season to.

I'd hang on to him and Perez in the Prem (Perez actually seems more suited to the Prem than the Champ), and cash in on Mitro (form is too up and down and is too much of a psycho) and Gayle (would be constantly injured in the Prem, just like Carroll).

12. Blacker-than-Knight

Mitrovic should be gone, he has no potential in the Prem or Championship, fine for European leagues maybe. Pretty sure that Rafa will look to make several major additions to build more of a premier league squad.

13. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

So ultimately spending £20m. Can't say I can see your point

14. Warmir Pouchov

If we are writing off Mitrovic at 22 and saying he has no potential its a bit of a concern for our approach in my opinion <laugh><laugh><laugh>

15. General Lee Speaking

I'd prefer him to stay over Murphy and get loads of game time and become the player he could be, but Rafa plays a certain way and he just doesn't seem to fit in or Rafa just doesn't rate him. So being practical for next season we need to raise some funds for purchases (I'm presuming) and weighing everything up I'd say let's just move on, make do with Murphy as a back-up/big lad to change things up for a season and get that pacey number 9 we need. It's the same with players like Clarke and Dummett. I just can't see changing most of the team in one go so we will have to be canny in who comes in and out and who stays for a season and can do a job but maybe not pull up and trees. To be honest if Rafa is staying and does rate Mitrovic then great but when is he going to get regular game time? I can't really see it based on this season where he's been playing 2nd and now 3rd fiddle and been in and out of the team (mostly out), and that's in the Championship.

16. Warmir Pouchov

I agree. I don't think he will play much under Rafa. If I was him I'd want out.

I don't mind if we sell him if its because the style doesn't fit.

Its just the suggestion that we write off a striker of that type at 22 I find humorous.

17. General Lee Speaking

He is a good player now and will get better. I've supported him all season and will continue to do so but yes he just doesn't seem to fit with Rafa's style. If Rafa is here for the long term then I don't see him staying.

18. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Have to say for once I actually agree with Hank and I'm sure DPP will too.

RobEllious and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Only half?