1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moyes

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, May 10, 2017.

1. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Bugger all else I can think of. I suppose that it seems like the youth players will be brought through if they're good enough, not every manager is interested in that.

2. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

He doesn`t seem to think much of ours though does he? Very few got any chance even when there were injuries to contend with. The only regulars were Pickford and Watmore and they were in the team before he got here.

Now that McNamee`s got the elbow things might improve but that could well be another long haul.

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

To be fair to Moyes he is not alone when it comes to youth, most managers stick through thick and thin with experienced players even when they are clearly not up to it, especially if they bought them in the first place. The loan system seems to be the way forward these days for our youngsters as has been said before. Now that the team are playing at a lower level we might see one of our own come straight into the first team, I and a lot of others would love to see a Bobby Kerr type debut but we may have to stick with our memories and face reality.

grandpops likes this.
  4. Beardsley's Shimmy

Beardsley's Shimmy Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the attractions for Short. Moyes has a really good track record in developing youth. Someone should work out the players values for those he has developed from scratch. I have a feeling it will be a bigger number than most think. This can only be good for squad quality short term and financial stability longer term.

5. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Moyes, I just do not trust him to spend the money correctly or motivate to build a team for promotion based on his past quality acquisitions.
    I think he was getting players here in preparation for the feeder league(s).
    Will he even be able to motivate and get them playing to their strengths.
    Antchibe - a nailed on ball winner ... "play out wide son"
    Defoe should have been buzzing around him in the box getting chances and scoring much more.
    I know all about the injuries but being tactically aware does not seem his strongest point.
    We seem to be getting football savvy knowledge in the background but I hope negative Dour Dave changes his outlook.
    He's still got my support but in hope he changes - we'll soon find out.

6. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I too think Big Vic would be more of an asset in the middle, back to goal type CF., with a nippy striker buzzing around him, we may see that next season all being well, both he and Fabio do not look comfortable playing out wide and this needs to be addressed one way or another imo.

7. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

That target man on the left flank thing he's been doing with Vic is straight out of the Egil Ostenstad (with Jostein Flo for Norway) and Graham Taylor (with Ian Ormondroyd for Villa) book of tactics. Except of course that Moyes didn't use the high tempo, pressing game that made it so successful for those two.

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I wouldn't offer him a new contract. We're going to struggle to get the squad numbers up with our sort of budget. No dead wages on crocks for me. That means bye bye Hoff too for me.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  9. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

I'm still just about behind him but then again I've always had more patience with managers than most.

If we sign Tim Cahill in the summer my patience will be finally over though.

10. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

I sort of agree that we will have a good nucleus of young players. If we can hold onto Catts and Ndong as well that should give us some solidity in the middle as it would be quality in the championship.

Don't think he necessarily has to be out of the blocks like Usain Bolt top 10 at Christmas would probably see him still in a job. Any worse and the mood will become unbearable for him though.

11. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

It's hard to gauge how much Short is going to gamble on budgeting a promotion push for Moyes. Fans calling for Sunderland to keep hold of the likes of Anichebe, Hoff and even Defoe are neglecting the precarious position that puts the club in if you don't go straight back up.

Newcastle were lucky last year, we got a bucket-load of money for Wijnaldum (who was probably worth it) and Sissoko (hilariously) and another £20-30m from other sales (I think over £70m in total) so were about to splash money around with relative impunity. That is pretty unusual.

In a decade (or hopefully a lot less!) Sunderland will be back in the Premiership. If everything is thrown at rolling the dice to get promoted again now then unless it is funding from revenue you generate it is a huge gamble and simply not worth it. If it turns into a few years in the Championship then so be it, it's a million times better than administration, etc. Plus it would be great to see youngsters coming through, the Premiership is a bit ****e for that.

Nostalgic likes this.
  12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Agreed entirely on both - neither will play even 20 games in the Championship IMO.

Don't exactly rate Vic that highly in any case.

Brian Storm likes this.
  13. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Moyes saying today that he is surprised and saddened that Defoe has a relegation release clause.
    Is that either sheer naivety, or arrogance on his part that he thknks Defoe would have signed without one? or do you think he genuinely might be a tougher negotiator and persuasive enough to have signed Defoe without a clause?

14. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

That highly rated scout has hopefully influenced Moyes targets so we get some young hungry players with some pace and fight.

I'd worry if Moyes was in sole charge of target. He'd be on the phone to Hibbert and Osman telling them to get some new boots sorted

15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd keep Anichebe because he's like a combination of the best forwards in the world rolled into one but he's the only injury prone player I'd keep.

16. Brian Storm

You reckon? We're skint, in debt with creditors knocking in two years, plus Short didn't even gamble to stay in the Premier League. I think it's piss easy to gauge, it won't be much. No more than 20m to spend and instruction to keep wages close to the league average. Best I expect.

17. Brian Storm

He was a style of player we needed, but not the player we needed.

Jack TheLad likes this.
  18. Brian Storm

Well no club is going to offer a clause like that, one has to presume it was a condition of the players terms.

Why does it have to be Naivety or Arrogance? Skeptical, only negative '**** stirring' set of options you've set there. Can't it just be a surprise as he said? A case of he didn't know, and then he did so the surprise was merely new info? Always has to be folk trying over read comments and try to bend them to be something else. Desperate to attach negativity or blame. Dying to scrutinize. Everyone is so sensitive and high maintenance over everything he says. Sad imo.

19. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

But why would he NOT expect a player of Defoe's ability to have negotiated a release clause - especially when he joined when you were battling relegation.
    It's not negative to ask whether Moyes is either:
    A). Thick, or
    B). Arrogant to think he could have made Defoe sign without a clause, or
    C). A good negotiator

If he's not one of those, then how do you explain his comments?

Brian Storm likes this.
  20. Brian Storm

I don't think it's anything more than him surprised it's free rather than a lower than normal minimum fee.

They're nothing comments that don't require an explanation is my point. Over scrutinised.