1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MOTD Players

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by rocky57, Jun 9, 2011.

1. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I've used the expression before and I thought I'd throw a little firework into our lively discussions that have been largely triggered by our optimism with the new boss.

My contention is that some players are over rated and some under rated because they look good on TV/YouTube highlights. For example Kamara is a classic case of flattering to deceive. There are others in our squad however and I've listed a few below.

Dembele has had a good first season and has looked to have potential, but when viewed week in and week out it is clear that the final product is missing more often than not.

On the other hand Hughes is a solid reliable player, doesn't stand out in stature like his partner and does few things that will get a replay. Yet he does more for the team than Dembele in my view.

We're all agreed now on Zamora, and everybody notices the work he does on & off the ball these days. However a few seasons back, when he scored less, a lot of 606 correspondents seemed to be only aware of his goal ratio, when he was doing exactly the same amount of work.

I'm afraid words fail me on Salcido. I cannot understand how anyone who has watched his performances in their entirety can rate him at all. On the other hand, Pantsil has been a victim of highlights with his own goals. This is an entirely unfair way to judge him - he had a great 09/10 season and has hardly played this year. Someone said you can't compare the two as they play in different positions - hardly, considering Salcido is the most right-footed left back I've seen. JP has played a couple of times on the left and been OK.

There are many more examples but I trust we've got a manager once more like Roy who will give players a chance: remember Dempsey and Pantsil had to fight their way into his side.

2. toshchamberlainsmate

toshchamberlainsmate Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ YES, YES, YES

Spot on as usual Rocky.

3. RobespierreFFC

Hughes and Bairdinho are definitely the best examples of players for whom their contributions often go unnoticed. Another player in our squad who I like but often rarely gets talk about, even on this board to an extent is Dickson Etuhu. He's had a couple of dodgy games this season but generally is reliable and can put in a fine tackle. Also scored a wonderful goal away to blackpool earlier in the season. Simon Davies as well I think you need to be at the game to appreciate him. In my opinion he's easily the best crosser of the ball in our squad.

4. Cottagecravens

Davies on a par with Duff - who gets more goals. Others I agree with.

5. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree with what Rocky is saying generally and his and everyone's specific examples.

Another way I look at this issue is how friends who support other teams view our players. For example, my Chelsea supporting boss and I both attended the game at Stamford Bridge this season and he commented the next day on what a great player Dembele is. I'm not sure that that was even one of Moussa's best games but just shows how he stands out to someone who doesn't see him week in week out like we do.

I have friends who are still unconvinced by Bobby (more fool them) and who still see Hughes as Hangelands shorter side kick (ditto). On the other hand people are often complimentary about Danny Murphy's captaining skills and Mark Schwartzer. I think a lot depends on who their own team's captain and goal keeper are in that respect.

6. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Go with Rocky. Dickson is a bit of an enigma - yes, he can be solid in defence and did go forward more under Hughes but the poor lad treats the ball like a hot potato 90% of the time. Trying not to be negative, but Schwatrzer should look at young Stockdale to see what kicking out should be like. MS was dreadful all season and you didn't see that on MOTD.

7. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I agree Rocky. I have a theory on JP and other of the international players and that's called the World Cup. Every single one of the players had a WC hang over in my opinion. JP was the worst affected. When he had a dodgy game he was dropped. He should have had a longer break I think. Dempsey didn't start too well last season either. Just a theory!

8. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Another theory is that JP never recovered from being left out of the Euro final. Personally I wish he hadn't cos that little B on their left wing wouldn't have got away with half as much. Hey ho, back to what ifs. l