1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Most hated - and why???

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by NashySFC, Feb 28, 2011.

1. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Hi all....

It appears to me that slowly we are becoming the most hated team in this league. Maybe the most envied???? Who knows.

I would be interested to know who you most despise and why as well as who you particularly like.

In terms of Lg 1 i have a soft spot for Carlisle as they have a genuine and friendly fan base and memories of Wembley last year they were fantastic! I have no major grudges but for some reason Huddersfield are a team i believe think they are better than everyone else wothout backing it up. They might make it this year though! Maybe they deserve that!

1-Do you think the media has had an impact on peoples views of us
    2-Is it because we have fallen from grace other teams assume we are arrogant
    3-Is it jealousy???
    4-Or are we just A Holes? lol :D

Tough one but all i ever really hear is how we used to be a family club but seem to be despised by quite a few teams, especially in this league!

2. Lord Duckhunter

Lord Duckhunter New Member

Where I drink on match days there are always plenty of away fans drinking,almost all are very respectful of our Club and supporters.The only place I've ever seen this "arrogance" we have mentioned is on internet forums.

3. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Valid point - I dont really ever drink before or after the games, but only a very small minority of any clubs supporters are in the pub with you and they tend to be of good nature and good banter - hence being in a mixed supporters pub.

We do seem to crop up on forums mainly but this is still coming from fans who have opinions and these opinions still count..... and the general vibe is that we are not that liked??? Brighton, Bournmouth, Hudds, Peterborough, Brentford, Colchester, Swindon....

Just wanted peoples views as to why this might be. Maybe i am missing the point and its the same with every club, i just feel that being a larger club in this league we are an easy target? Every slip up is noted and every success is belittled????

COYRs

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Same here and that includes Pompey fans. You will get some hard liners but usually it is just good humoured banter. Just remember the numbers on here add up to no more than 2% of the fan base if that. It in no way resembles the real mood of the fans. Only that of the few..... You could argue that because of the Wums that like to go round the other club sites and spout off. As well as the "so called Pretend Saints fans" from other clubs that do the same. It will obviously leave a bit of a mark on some of the opposing teams youngsters. As usually they see it as arrogance (which it probably is) or just down right challenging and leads to stupid street fights etc when they visit.

5. bpl234

bpl234 Member

i dont hate Saints at all or any team for that matter.

I think the only thing what maybe cause me some concern, is when some Saints fans i think expect their team to be top, when as we all know it is not that easy.
    I think last season no pressure was on you compared to this season as you are seen as one of the big teams and with the finance to back up you up adds a different kind of pressure.
    also a few comments about ?bournemouth playing teams out of form, which i did find a silly.

Overall south coast team i hope we all do well

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I think though that some remarks from all clubs can sometimes be interpreted differently. As a consequence it leads to an exchange of further remarks that turn into a distinct difference of an opinion. Also the written word is a lot harsher sometimes than a verbal conversation. Often you can hear in a tone when someone is joking. Not so from the written word although sometimes the smileys help towards this. The vast majority of fans do not hate their rivals....they really do not even dislike them. They are quite dismissive of the opposing teams usually....uninterested perhaps until the two are playing each other. Then the natural loyalties takes over, it is human nature. Not hatred or dislike, just plain ordinary natural loyalties.

7. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Its a bit of if we are top - its expected...... if we are not then we are laughed at ect

I understand in general there are millions of nice genuine fans and those in pubs and especially those on forums are in no way a true reflection. I just feel that we are an easy target and not too many supporters would put us up there with their favourites lol! Where as before in the higher leagues we maybe were.

I hold no envy over any club tbh as to a certain point, any anger or hatred just shows passion for the team they support which is fair enough! It happens

In regards to the south coast.... there is nothing i would like more than for all 4 of us in the same league! That would be quality....Of course Saints being the higher finishers :D:D:D

8. bpl234

bpl234 Member

yeah i agree when you were in the top flight i think you were looked at upon the small club in the league but as you have dropped down that has changed.

I have no hatred whatsoever, i like a bit of banter with your guys, and a general football discussion with a bit of light banter attached with no malice.

you coming to our place next week?

9. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

I have applied for the tickets a few weeks back so fingers crossed. Shame our allocation was quite low, but glad to see you guys have sold out! Will be a cracking game! Tough game. I can see a draw.... 1-1

10. Lord Duckhunter

Lord Duckhunter New Member

Of course we expect to be top. If Boscombe dropped down to the Wessex League they would expect to be top. It's not arrogance, just footballing sense. We have one of the biggest fan bases, one of the biggest grounds and pay top wages. If we didn't expect to win the league with that in our favour there would be something wrong. All this pony I read from forums about "Saints fans saying they are going to walk this League" are nonsense. I've never meet 1 Saints fan (and I meet a load) who ever thinks this League will be anything other than tough to get out of. The first season in the Championship there were people who expected a quick return, but then we had spent 27 years in the top flight. Any side that dropped down a level after 27 years, would expect a quick return. But I'll tell you what, since that season no Saints fan I've met has ever thought things are going to be easy.

11. A Touch of Clas

A Touch of Clas Active Member

Bournemouth used to mean nothing to me but now we've played them a few times, a rivalry has now been made/increased and for obvious reasons, a local derby creates a dislike towards that team. Likewise with Brighton, their fans were pretty poor for the numbers they brought to St Mary's, then at the final whistle, acted like they had won, despite missing a penalty. Swindon I have also not particularly liked, most probably as they always used to beat us, but their fans have always got on my nerves!

12. bpl234

bpl234 Member

It is building up to an important game next week...

13. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Huuuuge game! Brilliant for the south coast!

Look on pompeys board... theres a thread stating they would all love brighton and bmouth to go up and leave us rotting in lg1! Fickle!

COYRs

14. bpl234

bpl234 Member

i know great for the south coast and how it is not on sky?

I think it will be edgy but an early would i think open things up a bit..However a couple of tricky games for both team coming up before with you having two away games on the bounce, and us gonig to Exeter next Tuesday.
    Just hope it is trouble free!!

15. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Yeh i do, but if ita anything like when you guys come to ours then there will no doubt be trouble! I was caught up in a few issues just purely queing for a cuppa Tea near the stadium! Mad!

Always thought us 2 got on but maybe the change in fortunes in both clubs have swung things a little!

COYRs

16. bpl234

bpl234 Member

Yeah i knew there would be last time, especially going to the train station and in fact i think it was 'so-called' bournemouth fans who never go to the game that spoilt it. People take kids and it is not fair on them!!

I think the will keep the Saints fans inafter the game, but as you will have fans scattered around i dont think that will be an issue.

17. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

I am not too bothered whether others like us or not, we aren't in a popularity contest, we are in an almighty scrap to get promoted to the Championship, this is not the time to be sentimental, we can win fans over by playing good honest football and getting results which will get the rewards that we crave for.

18. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Valid Point - Do we honestly care if other teams dislike us???

19. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Im not saying that i care, i was just interested to find out what people thought was the reason behind this. We seem to have the most wums in the business and are pretty disliked. Thats all.

Was also wondering who other Saints fans had a soft spot for and also disliked..... but backing it up with a valid reason.

COYRs

20. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Other team I have a soft spot for ... hmmm has to be well... Nashy I think you know :p