1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Morgan Schneiderlin told he can leave.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beef, Oct 25, 2016.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The very lovely Mrs Godders:emoticon-0115-inlov is sat in her car with the engine running ready to drive up to Manchester at a moments notice and to bring him home.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  2. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Christ, £13m?!
    That is dirt cheap for a player of his ability and experience. Upgrade on all 6 of our current CM players. Only one who comes close is Romeu.
    Granted we don't need him, but bring him in January and offload 1 maybe 2 CM's in the summer and we'd have done bloody well.

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Out of all the player who have left Southampton of late the failure of Morgan at Man Utd is the most perplexing. A coiple pf seasons ago he was by far the most cultured player in our team and the only thing missing from his game were the goals. I can't help thinking that this failure at Man Utd is a reflection of the coaching at Old Traffold. Van Gaal appeared not to know what he had acquired and Mourinho is only really getting an understanding of his best squad. I would imagine that Arsenal would have been a better move for him but it is curious that the "best fit" clubs for Schneiderlin are ones undergoing a reversal in their fortunes. I can't imagine that Morgan would have truly boosted Arsenal and it is their manager that needs replacing more than any member of their squad.

I totally concur about Morgan being an excellent acquisition for Saints but agree that some fringe players would have to be shipped out first. With regard to our Midfield players, I feel that Davis, Tadic and Romeu remain the best bets and any of the others could quite easily be sacrificed for Morgan if push came to a shove. I would be fascinating to see how much JWP would fetch in today's market ,for example as the nett cost of acquiring the French man may make any deal extremely favourable. WBA seems a strange move but I agree they are doing well under Pulis this season. Puel would seem a tantalising prospect as coach for a French player on paper yet I wonder whether Pulis's team can now be considered to play the more appealing football?

4. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

As much as I agree we're crying out for a quality striker, we won't get one this window but if we could get Morgan for that sort of money, even £15M, that would be a fantastic bit of business for us.

5. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

6 fantastic years destroyed by 18 months on the bench. I was gutted to see Morgan leave but understood his desire to better himself / his bank balance. One out of two is not bad. 18 months out I would say there is a risk he would ever regain his Saints form. Not a big one but enough to put me off wanting him back.

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

If we are not going to play at pace under Puel, surely someone of Morgan's ability to distribute the ball the length and breadth of the pitch would be an ideal acquisition. This is the only other way that we would not be compromised by all the patient build up where the opposition are able to get players back swiftly. I agree that a forward is a priority but just because Morgan shares the manager's nationality is no guarantee that he will be treated any better than at Man Utd.

Libby likes this.
  7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a no brainer for me. Fine, if Morgan was to reject us then that would be his choice. But we've got to at least bid. Signing him would tick so many boxes. Including, in my view, probably being our captain next season.

8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

No. Next season our captain will be Virgil.

9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Clasie has picked up a groin strain...Come on Les, bring Morgan home, you know it makes sense!!!!

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree with every word except the last part. Virgil will be captain next season*.

*Assuming he's still a Saints player

11. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

In which case we would have made a load of profit on him twice, plus been able to enjoy his talents for another couple of seasons. What's not to like?

Jos Say No likes this.
  12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And Virgil is clear captaincy material. But in my view he won't still be here next season.

13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Beefy was saying he won't be here next season then I would agree. However, all the signs suggest Virgil is happy and settled here and unlike with Mane, Wanyama, Clyne etc he has 5 years left on his contract. The ball is entirely in our court for once. I'm optimistic that Virgil will be here next season.

Qwerty likes this.
  14. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Hoping he goes to WBA. I'd hate to be wishing him to fail & lose each week at everton, but it would be my only option if he went there.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  15. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

All I have to say is: West Brom?! Wtf.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Disagree, you don't become a bad player overnight. Form is temporary, class in permanent and all that....

Spot on... in our slow build up style his ability to hit 40 yard crossfield balls to the opposite full back would make a huge difference imo.

Another thing I would say to people saying the position is not a priority is that there's a big chance that Romeu will leave in the Summer meaning we will need a player in that position.

I don't see him coming back but we should definitely at least try imo.

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Although, to be fair, we have several other players who can do just that: Virgil, Højbjerg, Davis and JWP are all capable of the 40 yard diagonal pass, and even Yoshida can do it occasionally.

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Fair point, though I'd argue none of them (bar Virgil) do it as well as him.

19. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Needing to vent, I started screaming abuse at the neighbours - partly their own fault; bloody great flashing reindeer brings out the Grinch in me - but have since calmed. There is a logic in WBA. Assuming Morgan and his partner (?) like living in rich East Cheshire where all the football players live, he could easily travel to work.

Well he would have been able to if I hadn't gagged and bound him and put him in the boot of my car. **** off, Albion, he's ours.

crusti and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  20. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

I would hope that someone at the club has had a word to see if he would be interested in coming back. Makes so much sense for us but no point in bidding if the boy wants a whole new beginning. Agree Fat's; West Brom could be a good move for him - playing wise: but we have missed him in midfield. Clasie has not done enough for me. We also need cover for Romeu who might get injured/collects cards or may actually leave - none of our current set of midfielders can adequately cover for his loss.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.