1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Morecambe - one supporters view...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Apr 16, 2011.

1. brb

brb Guest

from the Medway Stand.

Well the stats said it all today, Gills 9 attempts on Target, Morecambe 1.

Gills went behind to an early penalty, when Lawrence was adjudged to have handled in the box. Difficult from where I was sitting, it looked as though a Morecambe player had handled in our box, the shout went up from the Rainham End, only to see the ref pointing to the penalty spot?

Someone I was with said they did see Lawrence handle, whether that was after an original handling of the ball by Morecambe, only the tv cameras might be able to reveal.

Very frustrating game, we just didn’t seem able to break Morecambe down in the first half, despite several good attempts by Lawrence to bring the ball from the back, down the wing, normally in to a waiting Barcham.

Maher took a cracking long range shot on goal, only to see it saved by the keeper.

Half time 0-0

The second half saw the Gills at Priestfield, go for all out attack, it just didn’t seem our day though to put the ball into the back of the net.

Hessy made several changes, which seemed to bring the Gills even more to life and the game completely into the Morecambe half.

In fairness to the ref, despite the first half decision on the penalty, he managed the game much better in regards to time wasting by the visitors, which produced several yellow cards. If only we could have had this guy for the Hereford game, even J Payne was allowed to stand off the grass to take the throw ins!

I looked up with 86 minutes on the clock, thinking it just is not going to happen for us today, then 2 minutes later that wonder striker of ours Cody, found the net to the delight of the 5,500+ Priestfield crowd.

Now Morecambe just pulled everyone back, as the Gills came at them, again and again with 5 minutes added time.

Weldone to the subs that came on Rooney (why don’t we start with him), Jack Payne why was he even sitting on the bench, the third being Nutter.
    Spiller got Man of the Match, no disrespect but what? He seemed forever to be running in to trouble.

Akinfenwa normally to be judged the bad boy by ref’s, took several challenges, that if it had been the reverse, would have gone against him.

Cody, saved the day again, Lawrence although came forward from the back, there were times I wanted his strength and experience to have a go straight on goal, because someone needed to give the Morecambe defence a stronger battering. Good to see Gowling come forward into the Morecambe box, using his height to get to them high balls.

Barcham is one of my favourite players, as usual putting in great little runs down the wing, one suggestion though, sometimes I feel he just needs to look up for other opportunities.

So it’s another draw and those auto hopes, are fading by another dropped 2 points, or is that 1 point saved!

2. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

1 Point saved I would say, But we could look back at it in the future and say 2 points dropped.

3. Gills79

Gills79 Member

Cannot agree about Rooney. It seemed as if everything he did today went wrong. Other than that a fair assessment of today's events

4. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

A very statesmanlike analysis brb especially when your mind must have been at Goodison. There are some points to add. Firstly, although Spiller hardly deserved motm he was not the worst either and it does get a bit boring when Lawrence wins it every week. Secondly, I thought the team looks so much better balanced with Nutter on the pitch and Martin on the bench. Finally as I was driving home listening to the analysis some guy came on who claimed to have spoken to Steve Bennett the ref assessor and they all seemed convinced the penalty decision was correct. No doubt TV will clear it up.

The Blackburn megabet looks on brb. It will make you very rich. When you buy the Gills will you keep Mrs S as a consultant?

5. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

you think you lot +ucked up today wycombe were ****e in the first half and went behind from a dubious penalty ,we only started playing in the second half and got back to 2-2 but the usual ****e officials missed 3 penalty claims for us:mad:.the referees a +anker springs to mind:mad::mad::mad:

6. brb

brb Guest

bristol - <laugh>

I agree about Martin, also whilst on the subject of bets, forget Goodison, I had 2 bets come in and then Charlton and that 83rd minute goal cost me over £700+ today.

Oh and Mrs S will be fired and Mrs brb hired, 2nd thoughts consultancy at home and work, not a good idea :emoticon-0107-sweat

7. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Can't agree more Bristol, it is much better with Nutter in the team than Martin, I think he would be worth keeping in view as a back up, But he is not good enough for starting every game.
    He may improve, But at the moment it is a no from me.