1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Monk open to Sunderland offer

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by C19RK73, Jun 7, 2017.

1. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Sunderland are set to hold talks with managerial candidate Garry Monk - and the Echo understands he would seriously consider an offer. Monk is out of work after resigning from Leeds United earlier this summer. In an Echo poll last week, he was the overriding favourite among Sunderland fans to get the post vacated by David Moyes, scooping 47 per cent of the vote. Chief executive Martin Bain is ramping up his search for a new boss ahead of their first season outside of the top flight in a decade. And while Monk hasn't been short of approaches since he left Elland Road, including being heavily linked with fellow relegated North East side Middlesbrough, the Echo has learned that he is open to an offer from the Black Cats.

Read more at: http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...garry-monk-open-to-sunderland-offer-1-8583185

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

So he didn't make the shortlist? Has he applied? He better get his skates on, he's not going to approached and offered. He needs to sell himself. Not sure what the article means given how advanced into the process we are.

The Little General likes this.
  3. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Bit late this init

4. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Worrying if he hasn't been considered IMO when you look at who is available.

I would be happy if he was our manager.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  5. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

It's between mcinnes or grayson but I hope it's Pearson or monk.

6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like he has been considered but hasn't had discussions yet.
    He'd be an ok appointment. It doesn't seem to me that the club have cast their net very wide in the search though, if the names that are linked are to be believed. Hull have been linked with Leonid Slutsky and Christoph Galtier has just left St Etienne. Why aren't we considering people with records like their's but do seem to be considering has beens like Paul Lambert?

7. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

I would not be the least bit surprised if we did go continental given the time we are spending over the new guy. I do not think Moyes' leaving was unexpected and there is a wealth of talent to look at. Soton (twice) and Watford have shown this.

Like most clubs the appointment of manager is a lottery but it is buying the winning the ticket that is they key.

8. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Why, whats he done ?

9. Jack TheLad

Granted he's not exactly got a trophy cabinet full of medals/trophies to note but neither have the rest of the main names linked - Pearson, Mcinnes, Grayson who are 3 other favourites.

He didn't do a particularly bad job at Swansea, who possibly pushed the panic button early and he took a fairly average Leeds side almost into the playoffs which was more than expected. I know a couple Leeds fans and they're gutted he's left.

Who would you go for just out of interest?

10. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Who ? A tough one, but someone on the way up, Monk bottled it at Swansea then again end of last season. We need a hardened manager, it will get nasty over there pretty quick if we don't hit the ground running. Giacc its a toughy.

Charley Farley and Jack TheLad like this.

11. Jack TheLad

If we let him start with effectively a clean slate he will be able to have players who want to be there, so the 'hardened' part might not be as necessary as people think.

I'm all for letting someone build something here, it could take 2/3 seasons before we're even challenging to go back up.

Not sure it's entirely fair to say he bottled it either mind!

12. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

13. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Agree I just aint got a buzz with Monk, a bit like I had with Moyes.
    Leonid Slutsky and Christoph Galtier seem worth considering. Just read that Leonid Slutsky wants to absorb the cuture of Hull. To me this is a key requirement our new manager needs, get in touch with our culture and area, along with our other managerial expectations.
    But if its Monk he'll have my full backing as dour dave initially did despite my concerns.

14. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about Monk, but if it takes 2/3 seasons in the championship we'll have become a championship team with a championship mentality. In the current day financial misalignment in favour of the premiership we'd be cut adrift , a bit like Blackburn, Wigan even Leeds - not good enough.
    Hopefully we get the right man, come up next year, then move up the premier league with the same manager - <cheers>

15. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

I'd have had him signed up a day or two after he left Leeds if I was Martin Bain...

16. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Looks like monk wants the Boro job but I think Boro will go for Pearson instead.

17. Jack TheLad

Reports saying he's spoken to us now about the job but it's out of him and Pearson for the Boro job.

I bet we're waiting to see who they go for. Instead we should be blowing their ****ty Yorkshire club out the water.