1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Monk almost got the boot

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Not really, just questioning the need for the points/questions, plus their content. Still haven't got an answer. Just someone in the huff.

2. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

You'd be no good to her now mate, she drinks from the furry cup these days<ok>

Irishshako likes this.
  3. Whitejock

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest, it has opened my eyes to what a LUFC hating paper this is. I haven't actually brought a red top for a good 20 years but money well saved if this is the comic book stuff they come up with

OLOF, Whitejock and Eireleeds1 like this.
  6. Eireleeds1

The sad thing Ristac, is with advent of Twitter, this rubbish gets retweeted by a certain element on a mission and it grows legs. Monk or players don't need such garbage written at this time

Marcos Barber, Whitejock and ristac like this.
  7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Those who want Cellino out... I fully understand them using garbage like this as amunition, I don't condone it, I just understand it.. You would hope supporters would see through that though, what I can't get to grips with is Phil Hay commenting and retweeting it to his 84,000 followers.

Phil Hay is a sports reporter himself and not a very good one if he can't put 2+2 together and see what bollocks it all is.

So I then question why did he fuel the story... Was it to get his RT count up or was it to damage the club or is he in support of the TTGM campaign? Whichever it is he has lost my respect.

TTGM campaign I am for if done correctly, they lost there way with under hand tactics last season. At the moment they would gain more respect if they sat quietly in the background as Cellino hasn't put a foot wrong for a few months now.

In defence of Cellino he is signing us some great players (on paper). Yes some of these players might not turn out to be the real deal but you have to be realistic in who we are going to attract.

I want Cellino out but it is no use hitting him with a stick when he is doing things right. Yes tomorrow it might all fall apart when he has a mad moment, when and if it does beat him with it but not until.

If this group of players play to their full potential, it has to be the best lookin squad we have had in the last 6-7 years. Let's hope Monk gets the balance right and for the wins to start soon.

8. Eireleeds1

Spot on Ristac. I would add that if ttgm or lust are to regain any respect, and I believe it's far too late for that, they must start dealing in facts. One factual tweet is worth hundreds of regurgitated nonsense. Also agree about this being our best squad for years

Whitejock likes this.
  9. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cellino probably is thinking if this doesn't improve in 3-4 games I need to act.

Truth is, after 2-3 games Cellino never sacked him, he gave the okay to sign three more players Monk wanted which shows the article is garbage.

If we don't win in 3-4 more games and Cellino sacks Monk, it doesn't mean the Mirror was right.

As it stands today it is far away from the truth <ok>

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

11. Chippy / Glory

That's an opinion mate, jock wanted evidence it's a true story.
    I was only asking if there was evidence it's bogus.
    I have an opinion that it's likely to be true.
    It might be desperation on my part because If true it might make one or two more to accept Cellino needs to go.

12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I believe Cellino needs to go but it would be nice if we had a new owner come in with something to work with. TTGM started off okay but they went OTT and lost a lot of support.

LUST did exactly the same, I don't know if the powers to be behind them get too cocky or too desperate.

They remind me of politicians, ram one side down your throats trying to force you into believing it rather than deal in facts even if the facts harm their short term cause.

Deal in the facts, gain respect and strike when the time is right, not fight a battle with lies when the odds are against them.

13. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

After 4 games Hockaday had won 2 lost 2. He was given 2 further games which he lost.
    Darko lasted 6 games too - drew 3 lost 3.
    If Leeds fail to win either of their next 2, surely the trigger will be pulled - what does baffle me is why doesn't your press officer rubish these stories as soon as they are published if they are not true?

14. Chippy / Glory

Didn't cellino make the press officer redundant because he can do that job?

ristac likes this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sent a tweet to Ryan Parrish listed as nearest we have to press officer, wonder if he will reply ;) <ok>

16. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Whether this rumour about Monk is true or not I have no idea

The problem is that Cellino's past behaviour makes any story believable

What he's doing to one of our great clubs is a scandal - you guys deserve better

These people may own the club, but they have to remember that it belongs to the fans

Marcos Barber and Farsleyexile like this.
  17. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Ristac, some can't discount it because of past history. Darko and Hockaday got six games so presumably Cellino was losing faith after two or three.
    Not sure I completely agree with you about Cellino doing the right thing over the last few months, all be it most of that would be the close season. Arguably he ****ed up pre season with the handling of Evans and appointment of Monk.
    Let's wait and see on the squad, we say the same thing every season about it being the best in years. Hopefully you're right but let's judge on results.

18. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Forplay, love it <ok>

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't trust Cellino in the slightest, I'm ready for him to do the wrong thing and give Monk the boot but those opinions don't make the Mirror story correct.

This isn't about what Cellino might do, it is about a reporter pulling a story out of his ass and Hay spreading it around on Twitter.

Cellino appointed Monk at the start of June, I would have kept Evans but looking at who we might have got and realistically looking at who would be mad enough to take the job Monk isn't the worse name, many believe he is a great name so you can't say it is a poor appointment.

We are just over a week away from September, that will be three months of Cellino buying players, listening to the manager, appointing back room staff and staying out the limelight, he has even refused to sell Taylor (so far).

Yes been there wore the t-shirt and still fence sitting about Monks ability, I am still waiting for Cellino to self destruct which he will even if it takes a week, a month or even a season but... The Mirror article was wrong, using that article as a weapon to hit Cellino with is wrong, childish and will have the opposite affect for those trying to use it <ok>

gombawn, Eireleeds1 and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  20. Whitejock

This Mirror hack was the only person in the room when Cellino said this? Yeah, right! Only reason a hack would be in the same room with Cellino would be to do an interview. Where are the quotes? What is the story? This guy tweeted the 'sack' aspect. If it was that hot, where was the article & the quote? No, we had to wait a few days for this 'hot' news. Still no quotes, and apparently Monk is now 'pleading' for more time. Does Monk look like someone who 'pleads' to you? Furthermore, all journalists close to the club have been asked if they support this - they don't. Not one has had any indication that Cellino may be thinking this - in fact, they are getting the complete opposite as feedback. No press comment required, as no story. Once you start denying, it's in all the papers. Hats off to Cellino for playing this one correctly.

davy, gombawn, Eireleeds1 and 2 others like this.