1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mitro for the exit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Is that the sound of Defoe's agent typing a transfer request?

Obi Wan likes this.
  2. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Don't think its a case of not fancying him, just realizing at 22 there is still a lot of improving to be done! He has the drive, he has the basics but I think Rafa would prefer a bit of experience up top and you can't really complain when your behind a 20-goals-in-half-a-season striker.

But Rafa has confirmed Mitro is starting vs Birmingham so he'll get his chance again, just has to take it and even if he knocks in a few, he may have to be patient (something I think Rafa is trying to drill in to him, to calm him down a bit in general not just on the pitch) and wait for Gayle to pick up a knock or lose form.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  3. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Have a feeling you're right. A shame if it does happen though.

Henry Boy likes this.
  4. Lord Jonjomort

Windy, I love the passion too but it's just not enough. With a better striker we'd have beaten Villa last season, his misses were astonishing.

What I think we've been desperately missing is the ability to uncover a gem. Seriously, when was the last time we brought in a player and they just blossomed into something outstanding? Carroll was a reserve, and even then was about 5 years ago. It's a long time. Look at the ins and outs at Southampton by contrast. Who were Mane, Fonte, van Dijk, Schneiderlin, Chambers, Clyne, etc.? How many have we had? Even those who flirted with being decent have quickly faded again; Tiote most notably.

Our contrast under Carr has been unfathomably bad. Our mantra for scouting has been more about stealing players who are already ok; the contract clause for Cabaye, the low fee for Wijnaldum, everyone in history was robbed by Sissoko somehow (especially Spurs), etc. But they weren't unknown. Then there's the idiocy we've displayed with both Cabella and Thauvin - clear disasters before they even happened. I think this is what's holding us back - an abysmal scouting set up coupled with a terrible youth set up. It'll take a while yet for Rafa to clear some of this garbage up.

TheSecondComing likes this.
  5. Sheikh_of_Araby

For me, far too much responsibility and expectation was placed on Mitrovic's shoulders. He should have been playing alongside an experienced goalscorer to help him develop and take the pressure off. He was playing in a crap side and was settling into the British game. I will defend the lad to the hilt until he is a given a proper chance and fails [a la Perez.]

6. Sheikh_of_Araby

Rafa wants someone to come in and immediately score 20 goals. He's scored 5 in 6 games when he has played this season so not at all bad.

7. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

Agree, but he still isn't ready to lead a side in the PL, and ultimately with Rafa's system and preference for a different kind of a striker, I can't see him given the time to develop here.

8. Lord Jonjomort

I was just dwelling on this; if you looked at our front "four" (remember, 6 defenders...) who would you say was the best player amongst them? Probably Gayle, right? Regardless, squad deep, Gayle is the best attacking player at the club. The 4-2-3-1 as a general tactic actually often relies on the best players being in the 3 behind; the no 10, in particular. For us, it's been the weak link since Rafa came here and it's not likely to change in the Championship. Maybe we're biding our time, because if we had an attacking 3 of Mane, Lallana and Coutinho, would Gayle be your choice up top, or would Mitrovic?

Just playing devils advocate and saying that maybe he'll do better if the supporting cast is stronger.

Either way, in Rafa I trust. Still.

9. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I still think it comes down to formations and how you use Mitro.

This notion that his finishing is terrible I don't buy either. He scored regularly enough at Anderlecht.

I'd like to see him given a run of games, as I fully expect he'd get a lot of goals at this level.

Has he not got 5 goals from 5 starts if you exclude the Cheltenham game where he went off? That is without getting any real run of games - I bet he has had 3 in a row max. It seems like he has carried the can for the Blackburn home game where he along with 10 others were pretty poor.

I think people are talking horseshit and Rafa needs to get his **** together personally :biggrin:

Sheikh_of_Araby and Obi Wan like this.
  10. Warmir Pouchov

Therein lies the problem. The notion of a singular system in football. I'm not talking modern football, I mean back through time for as long as I can remember. Only being able to play one way is foolhardy at best.

11. Warmir Pouchov

Also there is a bit of a reluctance to criticise Rafa like he is some sort of god? What the **** is all that about? He is good manager and we are lucky to have him. However if I think he is ****ing things up I'm gonna call it, not sit and go "well I can see that is clearly wrong, but hey look at this guys record, lets just blindly follow the **** over the cliff I'm sure there's a ledge"

As I say I'm glad he is our manager but lets not make him into some sort of deity FFS.

TheSecondComing likes this.
  12. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

It's obvious that Rafa has been Pardewed.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  13. Warmir Pouchov

Well if something is going wrong it is usually his fault by default so I think you are probably right on balance.

Obi Wan likes this.
  14. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Warmir Pouchov and Obi Wan like this.
  15. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

This.

16. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but Rafa chose to play CISSE above Mitro towards the back end of last season. If that doesn't tell us what we needed to know I don't know what will.

17. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

And then we will get relegated

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  18. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Forever perhaps could be over for him

19. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

Mitro update - deep cut to his leg -- Rafa

away to hospital

at least it's not a break <ok>