1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Missing the Champions League

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

I watched PSG absolutely batter Barca and thought, now there's 2 teams that know how to beat them. The other being us. Our record against Barca is pretty good compared to most.
    Now I just watched Bayern totally destroy Arsenal. Blimey, Arsenal just have no ticker, they seem all piss and wind to me. Soon as the going gets tough, they turn it in.
    Weird thing is the problem is the same one they have had for at least 5 years, hopeless defence. Wenger seems fixated on dancey, prancey dazzlers, yet ignores the obvious need to add some spine and fight to his squad. My old grandad played for Arsenal juniors when they were still at at Woolwich, so I don't have the same disdain for them as most Chelsea fans, but Jesus, they are hard to like. Surely this loss will see Wenger packing his bags and heading to Provence with his pipe and slippers.
    I miss the CL and look forward to playing with the other big kids next year.

2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

I share your Arsenal sympathies due to relatives that were born and bred just off the Essex road in Islington, the whole lot of them Gunners to the core. In the past they have defended Wenger and rightly so but their loyalty is being put under extreme pressure of late. Having said that, how many other fans would not bite their own arm off to be in Arsenals position, and they are consistently in the top 6, just always the bridesmaid unfortunately for them.

3. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

Personally i'm not missing it. I'm trying to look at the bigger picture of getting back to basics after what was a shambles of a season. We needed to concentrate on being champions of England again, before getting back with the" big boys ". These european breaks we've had all season have been great for Conte to put full attention on the league. We also have a big opportunity to get our second "Double". That's why i'm hoping that we don't make too many changes for our cup games. Mind you he definitely needs to give Luiz the fortnight off to rest that leg of his !

4. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a dilemma, this one. I think our absence in the CL, is one big plus where our target of a domestic double is concerned. On the other hand the glory that comes with being CL champions can't be matched. I was on cloud nine for a good 12 months after Drogs banged home the winning penalty on our glory day.
    Let our. Extra-special one bring home what's available, and just reflect that we could and should be playing Bayern Munich in the final.

Naas Blue likes this.
  5. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I may be missing us playing in the C.L but still enjoying Arsenal's annual battering in Europe :)

The gift that keeps giving....thanks Arsene.

6. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

No doubt not being in CL or Europa has helped us this year, but it's our loss for mine. I agree with Naas Blue that priority now is PL, winning that would be our best possible position. I think we will be lucky to see any team from any country win their League, their Cups and the CL again. Few have done it, but today it is near impossible. So somewhere along the line Clubs need to make the difficult decision of whether to rest their best squad for the "less" important games, or go for it. I am from the school that thinks the kids should play in the lesser games. However I am not prepared to suggest what those games are !!!!!!

7. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Poch looks genius compared with Arsene - isn't he?

8. The Ginger Marks

Poncetto is ok but limited, he seems blighted in his decision making. Clueless against the mighty Gent and rested players in a UCL game because their next game was at Stamford Bridge. Didn't go to plan so he needs to mature still a trophy less manager of no note.

Blueman likes this.
  9. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

that was a tongue in cheek comment tbh.

arse > poch any day.