1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Miles off.

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Based on this last dozen games, we're miles off being a serious challenger for next season. We need a summer of serious recruitment.

I don't care if he's only been "70% fit" since he came, but Halford is pants. Noone looks like a non-league enthusiastic player rather than Championship standard and I thought Whitts couldn't get any slower - but he has. Forget the sentiment and his "magic left foot" for Christ's sake, it's time the guy is moved on before he starts running backwards.

There's not just a need in midfield, but also up front. I don't think we should have to rely on Zohore as our only serious striker along with the contracted Lambert who it looks as though we're stuck with. He's been good this second half of the season but has faltered recently, and from what I've seen has only got a left foot. I'm also not convinced about Hoilett - blows a bit hot and cold for me. Pilks has class and I like him but again he's not a striker and is too prone to having poor games when played up there.

At the back we look OK especially if Manga stays. Perm any two from him, Morro and Bamba and Connolly and the CB slots should be sorted. Peltier and Bennett look good to go at FB with Richards as an option either side, but Peltier must stick to the right - he looks out of position and useless on the left.

I can't see any real money coming in for selling off anyone in contract. Surely the 2 mill past offer reported for Noone by Norwich must have plumetted by now. So it's up to Tan and the FFP rules as to how much new cash is thrown at it. Unless Warnock can work some miracles (not another Halford please!), it's going to need to be quite a lot.

Jay-Rede likes this.
  2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

We need 3 or 4 for the first 11.
    Couple more for the squad.
    We are not far off.

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Sorry - we're a mile off. Newcastle were no great shakes but they passed us off the park just like Fulham did in that Cup game.

I agree we need 3 or 4 for the first eleven but they are going to have to be good and not just like for like replacements like Halford.

Don't want to keep having a go at him but he is useless for a Championship chasing outfit - more in tune with staying up rather than going up.

4. Hilts24

Ralls should have started and Pilks should have replaced Harris not Noone.

We had clear cut chances after Halford was taken off. Plus Morrisons goal should have stood.

Newcastle are clearly better than us. But take out the top 2 and theres not much in this league. It will be weaker next season and we will be stronger.

From when Warnock came in we are 9th in the form table. We are not going to be a slick passing team. I think we will be top 8 and it could anywhere in that 8.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I think the 3 that come down will have something to say about that. As poor as they've been up there, whoever it may be joining Sunderland in the Championship will have parachute money to burn with the new payment structure.

They'll retain some experienced Prem players and probably recruit some more. Sunderland and Boro have a fan based income structure to support it as well - if anyone will suffer from coming down it will be the Jacks - they could well bomb.

Remember, 3 of the current Championship top 6 won't be going up and will be around next season along with the likes of Derby, Norwich and Villa. It's going to be tough but I agree we'll be much stronger under Warnock for a full season.

6. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

We're a poor side, incapable of going up next season. Every now and then a football club need a clear out to shake up lethargy which can become a cancer in a club. Out for me would be Whittingham, Pilkington, Noone, Noone again and Hioilett. Need a new keeper, maybe Amos is worth another try after his last performance
    Emyr Hughes, seems to have bucked his ideas up, and Adeyemi might be worth another punt under Warnock, then the often said four quality players. Connolly played well for Watford in their promotion season, but is well off the boil pals!

7. Hilts24

Huws , Amos and Adeyemi in our line up and we will be relegated.
    Hopefully Ipswich will take Huws. The other 2 are going.
    New keeper , Peltier/Richards Bamba Morrisson Bennett Ralls Gunner Zahore with 3 other quality players and we wont be far off. Hoillet , Harris , Connelly , Pilkington , Whitts are all fine for the squad. Maybe Kennedy and Healy as well. I think Pilkington may be sold. Manga will leave on a Bosman.

We are not far off.

Leeds arent great and almost made the play offs.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  8. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Let's be honest here, only a few of this squad are good enough at this level. Bamba, Gunner & Zahore. The rest are ok but just not quite good enough but on the plus side some quality acquisitions or different tactics may make them better.

Scott Malone an example. Terrible defender but worth his place in Fulhams team due to the quality of players around him.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That's a bit harsh on some of the others Nin, particularly in defence. The likes of Morro, Connolly, Peltier and Bennett are more than adequate at Championship level.

I know what you're saying though and agree about the overall standard at the club to actually win anything rather staying at this level. We're far away from a cohesive promotion chasing contender at the moment.

What we've got now with Warnock in charge is more than sufficient for a safe mid table finish next season, but is that what we want? The summer aquisitions will define whether we'll finish around there again or mount a serious challenge for promotion.

Warnock's statement is that realistically his target is a top 6 finish. At this juncture maybe that's all he should say but some shrewd aquisitions in the right positions could indeed transform the side.

What we do not need is any more journeymen from his past clubs. That might take considerable resources from Tan. That's not just transfer money, but committed contract wages to attract the right players.

10. hampshire Blue

hampshire Blue Active Member

The big worry is how do we unload overpaid wastes of space like Lambert, Pilkington and Noone ? They will probably just draw their salaries all season meaning we can't replace them.

Most of the rest are mid table championship quality.

Not convinced about Hoilett, Harris or Halford in a promotion chasing team.

11. Hilts24

Very harsh on Noone and Pilkington. Agree id sell both though. Noone has been a good servant and Pilks problem is he picks up too many injuries and its hard to say where he plays in a Warmock line up. But I wouldnt call either a waste of space.Lambert just cant get fit. I dont blame him id blame Trollope.

Agree about Halford. I just see him as someone who is there to stop the opposition.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Good point about Pilks. One of the most skillful players at the club but doesn't seem to fit anywhere. He's no striker and isn't really quick enough for a pacey wide man.

Maybe an attacking centre mid would be worth an extended try. He's creative enough to play others in and can get onto second balls himself.

A little more control in his shooting rather than blasting everything wouldn't hurt either. When they go in like his strike against the Wurzels it's spectacular, but too many go over top.

13. hampshire Blue

hampshire Blue Active Member

My comments on Noone and Pilks is based on most of this season.
    They have both been good at times earlier in their time with us but where has that form gone? Probably best for them and the club if they move on.

14. ninian opinion

Noone is so predictable. He has lost that yard of pace and looks only to come inside and v Newcastle was doing it from near the half way line ending up with aimless punts into the box to nobody in particular. No full back overlapping doesn't help him. I think he's scored just once this season. His time for me is up.

Pilkington is the proverbial riddle wrapped in a mystery. Not quite sure what position he is best suited, he certainly is a poor finisher and unless the manager knows precisely how to get the best from him I would not be unhappy to see him go.

Whittingham. Against Newcastle it was plain that whilst he occasionally stroked a lovely ball out to the wing, the bulk of the time he was wandering around with his head in the clouds not knowing quite what to do, where to go and unless we have a corner or freekick he certainly is not now worth a place in the team; it was like we were playing with 10 men for some of the time.

I have lost count of the number of opposing midfielder whom have effectively passed around our static central midfield with darting little runs, neat triangle passes and quick movement with the ball going towards goal. For me this is the area that the manager really needs to shake up next season. Pace and forward movement in this area is pivotal to the success of a team. This would really bring out the best in someone like your Harris but in my view not Hoilet as I just do not think he has extra cutting edge and certainly is hopeless when given a sight of goal.

Zahore of course is a shoo in for a starting berth and could really do with an nippy little inside forward alongside him to make some runs and finish off some of his excellent buildup play.

The manager needs to acquire a really top drawer keeper for this level and if it means spending a bulk of the transfer budget then so be it. Murphy seems to be an adequate number two.

The defence the City have is adequate as Sparky says above for this level but they are likely to continue to find clean sheets difficult to come bye, as they seem to struggle for some unknown reason when defending balls in the air when at the other end of the pitch Morrison for example is more effective.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

The keeper situation is a right conundrum Nin, but I'm not sure that spending the majority of the transfer budget on one is going to be the answer though.

With Amos between the sticks we conceded goals through keeper error as well as a leaky defence. He was beaten at his near post too often for me - Tomlin's goal for the Wurzels sticks in my mind. His decision making was often poor like his rush of blood charging out of his area when he gifted Barnsley a goal.

Since Amos was pulled, I can't remember us conceding through Murphy or McGregor errors - it has as Nin says been either defensive errors or just good opposition play.

Of course it depends on just how big this alleged transfer budget is, but I would have thought that a smallish proportion could be enough to get a stopper of decent standard if as it seems likely McGregor goes back.

We are woefully short of creation and pace in the centre of the park. What we need to concentrate the budget on is creating chances from midfield and someone else to put them in at the other end when they arrive.

Possession and quick breaking skills puts pressure on the opposition in the same way we've suffered from it recently. That's where any real money should be spent. Improvements here will win games next season rather than just trying to save them.

16. ninian opinion

Wouldn't it be great to see City break away at pace & in numbers like Barnsley or Brentford?

17. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

..........and Fulham. Three clubs who are usually a pleasure to watch from what I've seen.

If they had better defences, they'd all be genuine top 6 contenders on the back of entertaining football and not just grunt.

18. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

well football is in entertainment so I would expect some of it............but tiz a shame its usually the other team that does the entertaining <ok>

it would be very nice for a change of style I tell thee...............im not sure neil is the man we need for that kinda footy ball mind..........so maybe another season with neil that gives us time 2 find the right man for sexy football

19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Aber - I think you're spot on there pal. <ok>

I have the same worry as you - I've got serious doubts that Warnock can produce good football to watch. It seems he wants all blood and guts rather than finesse.

Maybe that's the way to go. Let's face it, Malky got us to the promiised land with some pretty boring stuff but got the results to make us Champions that year. Yes, it all fell apart after that for a number of reasons and hopefully lessons have been learned all round.

Ruud Gullit's sexy football is what we want, but do we really want promotion in preference at the expense of that entertainment?

The financial rewards of the Prem are the pull and that's what makes it so bloody sad. <ok>

20. Hilts24

Lets remember Trollope was taking us down.

At worst we are going to finish 14th. A brilliant achievement considering he had very little resources.

Lets see what happens with the summer window. Miles off - well we were until Warnock came in. We are now much closer thats for sure.