1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Midfield - Who stays who goes?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by poolie_mackem, Jan 27, 2011.

1. poolie_mackem

poolie_mackem Well-Known Member

With the iminent arrivals of Sulley Muntari and Stephene Sessegnon surely that meens that the days of one if not more of our current midfielders is coming to a close, well at Sunderland anyway.

Just wondering in your opinion who needs to stay and who needs to go?

Midfielders

Andy Reid, Steed Malbranque, Jack Colback, Jordan Henderson, David Meyler, Lee Cattermole, Ahmed Elmohamady, Kieran Richardson, Christian Riveros and Bolo Zenden

2. MackemMoverSAFC

I reckon Colback on loan and Andy Reid sold, no movement on any of the others yet.

3. NewbottleSAFC

NewbottleSAFC Member

Good point. Personally, I wouldn't want to see any of them move on. But if I must I suppose Andy Reid and Riveros.

4. Dyno

Dyno Member

Ive got a feeling Malbranque could go in the summer I hope not, but I think he might.

5. Dazzla_FTM

Dazzla_FTM Member

You forgot Zenden.....I say Reid is first to go...Love him to bits but he's off the pace now. I can't see anyone else leaving unless they hand in requests...Elmo is on loan so i can see us not keeping him in the summer - we need strength in depth and that ias what having Steed, Zenden, Riveros and Meyler as backups is all about!! FTM

6. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

with the extra stenght in midfield, do you think he would now consider a sizeable offer for jordan, im not saying he should but anyone think he would

7. Mackeminexile

Mackeminexile Active Member

Reid is out of contract in the summer so will be off on a free. Zenden may or may not stay on as a player coach. Colback will probably be off either on loan or to a championship club as Waghorn was. Steed is the interesting one - does he stay knowing he will mainly be a squad player or will he look for a move to a newly promoted side? All the others will stay - we'll sign Elmo up permanant and give Riveros another season just like Bruce did with Da Silva before keeping on or shipping out.

8. poolie_mackem

poolie_mackem Well-Known Member

commachio

Bruce and the club do not want to sell Henderson but we have to be realistic there is a good chance a top club will come calling in the summer then who knows what will happen.

IMO we should sell Colback and Reid in the summer.

Malbranque depending on a deal for N'Zogbia.

Zenden is out of contract maybe a player coach role

9. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Reid will go in the summer but not until unless it's a loan deal, Malbranque might move on although i hope not, he's been fantastic for us when given a good run, poor class. I think Riveros might come out of his shell a bit more if he's also given a run so i don't want to see him go just yet, give the kid a chance.

10. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Reid, Colback, Riveros who do not look good enough could be on the way

11. Do the Asamoah Dance

I just cant see Reid fitting back into the team, especially if we manage to pull off Sess and Muntari.

Colback I imagine will be loaned or sold, Riveros is clearly off pace and Zenden is out of contract at seasons end.

12. Steeley89

Steeley89 Member

Reid and Colback must go. Keep the rest. I still think Riveros will pull through

13. MackemSpartan

MackemSpartan Member

Agree with most on here.

Reid can go, colback out on loan - prefereable to a top half championship side pushing for promotion!

Keep everyone else for strength and depth ;)

Would hate to see Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed leave!

14. BilboSouthWales

Dont see much in Colback so would like to see him shifted on.

Reid just doesn't fit in anymore so should be moved on before the end of window IMO.

Would still give Riveros some time, he's shown signs of improvement. Would assess the situation with him in the Summer and go from there.

Also I'd be more than happy for Zenden to carry on for a little while longer, calm head and he's still got it!

15. Siddall

Siddall Member

TBH I think we've got the luxury of a bit of time. At least until the summer, let's just see who clicks on the training pitch and on match day.

16. Dyno

Dyno Member

I would definitely keep Zenden, i always feel more confident when hes in midfield....Especially away from home.

17. bald-in-guelph

<doh>Personally I wouldn't give a fiver for Elmo as he's ****ing hopeless. Rarely have I ever seen a "winger" at this level fail to beat the full back and get to the dead ball line as much as Elmoshowaddywaddy does. He crosses the ball from far too deep. He had a canny game against Blackpool, but his crosses are made from too far out and it's as easy as shelling peas for the centre halves. Everybody seems to think that he's quick. He seems to be but he isn't quick when he's got the ball at his feet. He wants to stop and cut in all the time. I don't rate the bloke at all.<doh>

18. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

I dont see why Steed would leave, nor Zenden.

Riveros to be sold imo (provided we buy Muntari on a permanent deal in the summer).
    Colback on loan to a top half championship side.
    Reid to be kept on (left winger -muntari is CM and Sess is a RW).

If we get to Europe, we can use players not named in the 25man premier league squad, and we will need plenty of strength in depth in order to do well in Europe.

I dont agree with you, and think Elmo is getting better and better. He set up a few goals so far.

19. Ballin' Boy

Ballin' Boy Member

Would love to read Tom LeSailor's thoughts on all of this. Why hasn't he made the move yet?

20. InBruceWeTrusted

Elmo's days could be numbered I think. Although I think if we are stuggling for cash after our 'Bent replacement' is bought along with Onouha which could cost £15millionish for replacement and £5million Onouha so may not be willing to fork out another couple million for Elmo. Shame though because hes very versitile and can play in various positions. I feel signing Elmo is not to igh up on Bruce's summer agenda.