1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Middlesbrough sack Spaniard

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Mar 16, 2017.

1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39291081

Middlesbrough have sacked manager Aitor Karanka after three and a half years at the club.
    Boro are winless in their last 10 Premier League games and currently sit in the relegation zone, three points from safety with 11 games remaining.
    They are also the league's lowest scorers with just 19 goals and were knocked out of the FA Cup by Manchester City last weekend.
    Assistant head coach Steve Agnew will take control of the first team.

2. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

Good decision by Boro and if we get beat on Saturday then hopefully Mr moyes is next.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

That old chestnut. No doubt the players will suddenly remember how to play football now the nasty man has gone but how long for is anyone's guess.

4. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

It seems odd that Sunderland are the only team in the bottom 6 that have NOT sacked their manager this season.

Yet :bandit:

5. BIG BAZ

aye and it's funny because we looking the worst team down there to.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

It'll feel a bit ironic when we stay up and those who got rid end up below us, keep thinking positively.

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sounds almost like you want us to get beat.

I don't think Moyes will be sacked TBH - sacking so many managers is one big part of the financial problems the club has - we'll only compound that by sacking another manager and having to pay him £5m

Who would you have in his place realistically? Sad thing is that even realistically, Gary Rowett (who I think is going to be a very good manager) wouldn't come here (Marco Gabbiadini is mates with him and said that on the radio)

9. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Big call from Boro, but Gibson is a good chairman and he kept Southgate in last time to no avail, so perhaps it's worth the risk.

Alan Pardew should be on red alert.

10. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

So they've pressed a huge panic button in North Yorkshire I see, not sure what they expected at the start of the season. Surely he was given an objective of keeping them up which he could very well have done (admittedly they're not playing very well at the minute but could have turned it around in their next game).

Bad bad decision long term for them I think.

11. Tel (they/them)

Managers are rarely sacked with the long term in mind though are they mate, just look at your last 200 managers that have been sacked when ES has pressed the panic button.

The truth is it's a tried and tested method of rallying a group of players.

BIG BAZ likes this.
  12. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

The point I was getting at though is what did they expect at the start of the season, to be comfortable mid-table? Surely he's in and around where they expected to be so why is he sacked, don't understand the whole we're struggling we need to sack our manager, some clubs and owners (especially newly promoted teams need to put things into perspective, we aren't all as good as Chelsea!)

13. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Short term though, based on our experience, it'll probably work.

As you say, in the long term it's a bad plan. As we are showing!

14. Tel (they/them)

I don't think they've won a league game this year mate, so I don't see it that way. I think the slide has been acknowledged at the right time, before they're cut adrift, and a couple of wins under a new man would pull them out of the hole. Of course they probably did expect to be in the scrap, but they're not showing much fight.

Incidentally their next game is us at home, perhaps they'll get a result with this manager change, hopefully they'll get nowt but a tonking.

15. BIG BAZ

I want us to win on Saturday but I can't see it. At the minute I can't be even ass to go.

I don't think sacking managers has put us in bad financial position. If we didn't sack our managers over the years then we would of went down years ago.

Like I said to other people on here. I'll take anyone above moyes but like you said the bloke will be going nowhere

16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree totally! I expected them to be down there so can;t work out why they've sacked him
    That's just it though - who precisely is there out there? Karanka? Ranieri? Would you take them? Pearson? I wouldn;t - I'd rather stick with what we've got - sacking managers hasn;t helped with the financial situation that's for certain and you assume we would've been relegated. We need some stability - My opinion is leave moyes in charge to get things right for us which I do think he will if given time - the only way we become an attractive prospect to a new manager is if someone else owns the club

Nostalgic likes this.
  17. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Thats the positivity needed by our fans on Saturday - 3pts and onwards with 40+thousand at the end of the game :emoticon-0170-ninja:emoticon-0170-ninja! :emoticon-0148-yes:

18. BIG BAZ

I'll take Warnock, pardew, Pearson and ranieri above moyes sorry.

Sacking managers haven't cost us loads tho. Compare sacking managers to staying in the premier league pal. Couple of million here and there is **** all compare to staying up.

People keep on saying keep moyes and he get it right. Tell me one good thing the bloke has got right so far.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    rooch 3 likes this.
  19. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Pretty bold decision, he's the best manager they've had in a long while, until he came along they got nowhere near promotion. Can they really claim they deserve to be comfortably safe in the Premier league? Karanka ain't gonna struggle to find work anyway.

20. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I thought he was Portuguese?