1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mick McCarthy

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by ibodyslamrhinos, Jan 18, 2017.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I read at the time that they were offers but the players turned us down......
    One player doesn't change a team as we all know!!

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

The state of this :emoticon-0102-bigsm Accusing me of plucking figures from the air! On the contrary...

£3m - Lee Tomlin (agreed)
    £1.5m - Gustav Engvall (no way was he 3m, everyone refers to him as our 1.5m striker, God knows where you got that from)
    £2m - Hordur Magnusson (this was the rumoured value everywhere, again, dreamt up 3m)
    £1.5m - Taylor Moore (reportedly)
    £1m - Callum O'Dowda
    Free - Josh Brownhill
    Free - Gary O'Neil
    £500k - Jamie Paterson (ish - certainly no more than a million)

Admittedly they're not all nailed on but they're all roughly what was reported. Which gives a total of £9.5m, which is roughly what I originally said.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  3. BCFCRob

And for what it's worth, it doesn't matter if the transfers were not remotely close to happening. The fact is we almost certainly made those bids, and therefore the funds were available. I doubt they did it just for a laugh.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

First thing funny how you've totally forgot the 9 million bid for Gayle as well.
    Also forgetting the £2.3 million spent on the unknown player Kodjia.
    But O'Neill?? He was playing for a team (and still actually in the first 11) who just got promoted to the Prem! Come on if you had any of this intelligence that you try to put across to us mere posters. Surely you would say to Cotts "are you ****ing mad? Why the **** do you want to waste the boards time trying to speak to him? After all we was the team just promoted to the championship at the time.
    Your bitterness is going eat you up mate.

5. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Oh heavinly irony! I love it! "The state of this." But then you clearly show you have plucked 9 million out of the air. As well as undervalueing the fees we paid for players. Nothing like getting personal to emphasise just how much you are losing the debate.

All depends where you read your rock bottom values of these transfers I guess. As Paterson was double your 500k. Magnusson WAS 3 mil according to every outlet I read! It was 2.5mil BEFORE we even landed him! Engval was 1.8 I believe with 1 mil add ons (bare in mind the world knows we just sold a player for 14 mil no team is gonna sell their best prospect for pittance!!). You are missing out costs of Adams and Abraham loans as well, which is far from free, no loan is, always an initial upfront fee to the club.

"And for what it's worth" ... "The fact is we almost certainly put in a bid" .... whoopty-do! That means what exactly? Mansfield put in a bid to sign Ibrahimovic in the summer. Means zilch! We put in a bid for Lingaard, there was absolutely zero chance we were going to sign him, Cotts and everyone in the country knew that it wasn't going to happen. Put in a bid, gets fans excited, again, means nothing in a real sense when you talk about backing a manager financially.

There is no question whatsoever that in a real sense LJ has been afforded more money than anyone else, without giving any reason why he should warrant it and has little to show for it. Can you really argue that?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. ibodyslamrhinos

7. oneforthebristolcity

Yeah but we did get 15 Mil for kodja, so the funds were available!!
    Quoted by your link "But they ended up showing a small surplus after selling striker Jonathan Kodjia to Aston Villa for £11m in a deal which could eventually be worth up to £15m".

Don't really know what your beef is?

8. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I googled this out of interest to see what was the 'rumoured' amount we actually paid for him? From all the results I could only find this!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ordur-Magnusson-Euro-2016-heroes-Iceland.html

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

hopefully City's budget wont follow the Severn tolls next season .....

10. johngalleyfan2

juniors probably spent about £10m so far Kodija et al probably brought in about £14m

11. BCFCRob

1) You clearly have no idea what irony means
    2) I described how I came to £9m, how did I pluck it out of the air? You literally did that yourself.

I literally cannot find one article saying £3m for Magnusson, and you're stating things you think you know as fact. 'Paterson was double your 500k'.

'No loan is [free], always an initial upfront fee to the club', more bullshit. Many have fee's yes, but a load don't as well. Nor do most people count loans in total transfer spend, but hey, let's carry on twisting the rules just for you.

The fact that you think we didn't genuinely want to sign those strikers under Cotts is laughable.

And as for the bold bit, no I can't argue that, he has now had the most to spend when you include January. But I literally cannot argue when you make **** up. At least my arguments have base and where I don't know the facts I make educated and fair guesses. You've stated some things which are clearly false, or entirely baseless. So again, when you say I'm losing the argument, on the contrary.

12. ibodyslamrhinos

1.) Yes I do know what irony means. I found it ironic you called my post a "state" when yours was riddled utter nonsense and drivel, along with made up facts, which again ironically you believe to be the "base" of truth. Hence the irony. Now repeat that back to me I want to make sure you understand.

2.) You have plucked out figures of transfer fees making your 9 million a plucked out of the air figure.

3.) Seems like you are twisting the rules to fit your purposes but not mine, but hey keep this coming, let's see how much we can help your side of the argument out.

I've also given you one article that outlays some of LJs spend, and it was the first one I came to. Which had it an excess of 10 million at the time it was written. So how hard are you really looking? Go ask any Nottingham Forest fan and they will tell you that Paterson is a player they were confused as to why he was sold and wouldn't have gone for less than a million and it was all over the radio at the time that we had spent a figure believed to be 1 million! So your 500k is way off, but hey, you know this as you know you needed to low ball prices to try and prove your fictitious facts.

Could go all day with you sweetheart and happy to do so. You can't lambast someone with swear words for making stuff up when you have so ironically (do you want me to go over that word again?) done yourself and then admitted doing so.

13. BCFCRob

Amazing. That isn't irony, that's hypocrisy. And this is coming from someone who said that Engvall was £3m, which I'd say is a 'made up fact'.

See above.

Are you just regurgitating my post back at me :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm Try to come up with something yourself.

Fair enough, it was over £10m, my estimate wasn't far off. Whereas your estimate of £9m on just 3 players probably was. See the Engvall example for how you're doing the exact same thing that you accuse me of.

Please don't call me sweetheart. You're having an absolute mare here.

14. ibodyslamrhinos

I agree it is hypocrisy, but it's also ironic that you can come out and proclaim that someone's post is a state and in the exact same post, what you write also be riddled with inaccuracies. I'll use it in a sentence for you to help.

"It's ironic the man came out to shoot down someone else's post and attempt to make them look silly whilst claiming to be the one possessing facts on transfer fees paid. Yet whilst using the language of a 13 year old chav or a bad B movie cockney gangster ("the state of it mind" , "having a mare"), he had in the same single post, himself ended up looking like the silly one, by having no facts or evidence to support such audacity. Oblivious to the irony of this situation."

That help?

Throughout my years on BBC 606, and approximately 5 years on this forum, the ONLY person I've had this type of conversation with, was Redprint. Just so you are aware.

15. BCFCRob

Great. Next time I want a concise history of your Internet habits I'll let you know.

ibodyslamrhinos likes this.
  16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

An easy way of defining budgets to Managers is squad size.

O'driscoll was charged with slashing the squad and wages, Mr Cotterill squad was small, and Lee Johnson? Its bloating.

I was never that enthralled with Mr Cotterill, as his football at earlier clubs was sometimes anti football. However at BCFC he did a very good job. I have no doubt given the same resources (the clubs accounts will show significant increases in wages under Mr Johnson) Mr Johnson is getting Mr Cotterillwould have done a superior job ... It would be hard for anybody to do worse.

Comparing McInnes,O'driscoll, Cotterill to Lee Johnson is a juxtaposition. Lee Johnson has an entirely different resource to utilise and club concept/philosophy/project, or whatever else it is they are fannying around with and abandoning to operate with.

Mr Cotterill wanted to sign quality v numbers. He was not given the resource to. Imagine Kodija and Grey in the same side, or an alternative of similar standard. Mr Cotterill wanted real quality v what is occurring now.

Redprintt likes this.
  17. oneforthebristolcity

Your comments are failing one thing...............Grey or Gayle wasn't interested in coming, was it the club or Cotts??
    So maybe the money was there for Cotts.....just the players he was interested in wasn't interested in us!

18. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I am missing nothing.

Mr Johnson is allowed a squad of ever increasing numbers, the previous two Coaches/Managers were not. Mr Cotterill was given a wages cap. A wages cap that no longer exists. For two seasons Mr Cotterill attempted to run a squad of 17/18/19 players while wanting to add REAL quality to it.

Its milk and honey now in comparison.

Redprintt and Red Robin like this.
  19. BCFCRob

How do you know Cotts was given a wage cap Cliftonville? I know SoD was (and that's why I hold back criticism which others love to let loose with). And to be fair, I have many criticisms of LJ, but the size of the squad is not one. The squad was way too small under Cotts and with the lack of emergency loans, expanding the squad is something we had to do. I think we have a squad of 24 or so which isn't really that bad in all honesty.

I find the Steve Cotterill situation interesting as many claim to know bits and pieces of his tenure but without any 'truth' coming out. I do know he still lives in Bristol and see's some of the City players though.

20. johngalleyfan2

THE CLUB they knew they were the upper hand and could go where they chose ... a club more likely to get them the prem first and it did