1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mick Leach - My alltime favourite

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by danishqp, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Top post Danish, I too remember seeing Mick Leach play in the 70's.

Every word you state resounds quality and passion, sadly something currently lacking. Maybe the players of today should see a video of the likes of Leach, Allen, Francis, Sir Les, just to name a few, so that they can understand what is meant by the QPR spirit.

2. ESPANACOL

ESPANACOL Member

A great club man and a product of our youth team. My ex father in law always moaned when Mick's name came over the tannoy as one of the team changes. He did not moan that day at Villa Park, another great QPR moment.

3. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Great post,always known as lino leach,up there with tony hazell

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fantastic post Danish. Mick Leach was everything that is good about a footballer. Always liked him.

5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I like this thread, so in an effort to keep it going,anyone remember this bloke?
    image.jpg

No great personal story I'm afraid, he was just something of a cult figure for me and my Dad in the 70s.

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

7. Ranger

Ranger Active Member

Fond memories flood back. Thanks for posting Danish. I remember back in 1974 (or thereabouts) I was at an event at Barkers in Kensington (?) as a school boy and Mick Leach was the guest of honour at that event. I was asked to present a bouquet of flowers to his wife. She was a very beautiful and charming lady from one of the Scandinavian countries (I think) and Mick was very much a gentleman. It was very sad to hear of his passing. Not forgotten.

8. Hetwistsheturnsjohnbyrne

Is it Rachid Harkouk.

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, but thanks for reminding me of someone I had completely obliterated from my memory! This bloke was a much longer serving player.

10. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

Stan, I'm cheating here as I guess this, from the Derry on Talksport thread might have something to do with the person in question:

"When everything is settled one way or another I'll be starting the Ron Abbott appreciation thread, for reasoned reflection and nostalgia".

He looks hard as nails a defender per chance?

HTHTJB - Ah Rachid, turned up at our place after some naughtiness if I remember correctly, far better looking boy and our Adel of the day, though AT is probably far more the religious one as I think Rachid is doing a little time at her majesty's pleasure again.

To continue on this nostalgic path - We've had some other boys that have spent time at Her Majesty's Hotels haven't we?

And Stan - am I right?

11. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

top man leach not a great player but good honest player & always filled in when called for in that great side we had, wish we had more of him in todays squad then we might get somewhere.

12. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks to me like Ron Abbott - didn't he start off as a centre forward and ended up as a centre half?

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Got it Danish! Abbott was at the club from 71 to 79 but played less than 60 times, including from the bench. Started off as a centre forward but converted early to, as you say, a tough CB. In truth he can't have been very good, but for some reason my Dad and I took to him. It must have been tough as a squad player in those days, with only one substitute - opportunities few and far between, especially as players only seemed to miss games if they were actually in a hospital bed.

Easy one this time

image.jpg

14. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Thats John Delve - again someone who didn't get many opportunities, was a decent tidy player

15. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

thanks for posting this danish, Micky Leach was my favourite player in the Rangers side of that time,hard working and provided the time and space for Stanley & co to do there stuff, every team needs a Micky Leach.

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Another Mick Leach goal from the 75-76 season. I am now retreating into a cocoon of nostalgia to avoid the stark realities of this season. Thank god for YouTube. At some stage I'll have to get some work done......

[video=youtube;biNzeUMZbTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biNzeUMZbTQ[/video]

I know all the arguments about technical ability, fitness and so on, but when I watch these clips I am increasingly convinced that these blokes were just as good as players today. They move the ball quickly with huge skill on crap pitches and facing genuinely hard challenges. And I know that the game was much more entertaining.

17. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Thank you sb....brilliant, happy days.....have to do some work as well

18. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

You know what, the boy could play a bit as well!! Cheers for keeping it going Stan this is pure therapy:biggrin:

And I for one totally agree, give these guys the incentive of the money, masseurs, diet, pitches, fitness coaches, psychologists they would reign supreme today. Or maybe they'd have just metamorphosised into what we have today!

Question - Do you think Mick Leach would ever have had a quote attributed to him stating that him not playing well was the fan's fault?

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think Stan may have blamed the bookies, his wife and Tommy Docherty at various stages for slumps in form, but questions from the fans were discussed in the correct venue - the pub.

The vision of SWP facing up to Chopper Harris or Kenny Burns has cheered me up hugely.

20. Vale_Hoops

Vale_Hoops Well-Known Member

Cracking post, one of the best I've read on this site <applause><applause>