1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Michael Johnson

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by luvgonzo, Jan 21, 2013.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Just read this and thought it was sad. Goes to show how injuries can affect players.

Full article in the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21088459

Michael Johnson: From future England star to released at 24

Dietmar Hamann had never been so certain that a young player would become a star.

"He was a fine passer with vision and an eye for goal," the German remembers of his Manchester City midfield partner Michael Johnson.

"But what really marked him out was this innate understanding of the game. I had never seen that before in such a young player."

Not bad when you consider that Hamann, a Champions League winner and World Cup finalist, had previously played alongside an emerging Steven Gerrard at Liverpool.

"Michael played a lot and was a key part of my team," remembers Eriksson. "He really was excellent and everyone was sure he would be the next big star for England."

"I always say a special midfielder needs to have the main attributes - passing ability, a good engine, strong tackle, vision, intelligence - and to be absolutely outstanding with one of them," Hamann adds.

"I can honestly say Michael was outstanding in all these areas. The player he reminded me of was Michael Ballack [whom Hamann played alongside for Germany], because of his all-round ability, but also because he was so economical with his game.

Following news of his release by City, Johnson revealed he had experienced mental health problems and spent time in The Priory Clinic, and asked to be "left to live the rest of my life".

2. matth_22

matth_22 New Member

a member of my family has mental health issues, its tough, i know what he's going through, hope he gets better.