1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Michael Carrick

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JakartaToon, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

What we can take confidence from is that promoted sides do hold their own once promoted these days

2. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I think we'd be able to compete at the bottom end because there is some rubbish in the Premier League as well but more than anything I would be very worried sending our current defence out against any team in that division. Dummett and Clark could probably handle themselves ok, if not spectacularly, but Lascelles and Yedlin would leak goals badly. You'd have to include the DCM in that defensive set up too and we don't really have one anywhere near good enough at the moment. Mbemba could probably handle himself but I don't know where we stand with him at all since we've barely seen him under Rafa.

3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Me too if you look further up it's only going to get tougher though we're hundreds of millions behind the likes of Everton these days who at one time I felt we were up there with

They could be fielding Lukaku and Rooney upfront while we field Gayle lol

Even Bournemouth have jack whilshire ffs and we have jack colback

I'm sorry but I never thought I'd see the day Bournemouth had a better dude than us but they definitely have.

haslam likes this.
  4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Single most important signing we will make.

5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I think it's joint most important with a proper goalscorer.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  6. Warmir Pouchov

We will need a striker too of course and a No.10. Those two will suck up huge funds too.

7. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

For all our complaints about how we have played this season, the results would have been far better if we had had someone like the Andy Carroll of our last championship season - or even, dare I say it, the Shola of our last championship season!!

In most games we have made plenty of chances that have ended up in either the goalie's hands or the stand behind the goal.

8. Warmir Pouchov

Maybe. However we played a lot more attacking at home so those guys got a leg up on the current bunch. Once a striker gets rolling at St James they grow a couple of inches, get a yard quicker, the confidence just flows. Gayles done ok. We just don't have a Nolan. He bagged 17 and we had Lovenkrands and Ameobi in double figures too. We were getting a lot of players in attacking areas - certainly at home. I think I posted the stats the other day, our home form was unbelievable. Hughton faced the same challenges we do now with teams sitting deep. He wasn't a patch tactically on Rafa away though.

9. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I agree. The singular most important signing to make will be a defensive midfielder...and a striker...

Sorry, the two, not one, the two most important signings will be a defensive midfielder, a striker and a number 10...

Sorry. The three most important signings will be a defensive midfielder, a striker, a number 10 and a commanding centre half...

Okay, the four most...

10. Warmir Pouchov

No the single most important signing will be a midfield destroyer. Only way Shelvey will cope in the PL is if someone is doing his dirty work. Shelvey then needs someone to pass the ball too. The No.10. He'll then need someone who is going to finish what he creates. The striker.

If we got those 3 and nothing else I'd be reasonably happy. Of course we need a left back, of course we need a wide midfielder. We could do with an experienced centre back and back up for Shelvey, back up or first choice right back. All nice to have.

If we don't get the first 3 named we will be deep in a relegation battle which is a lottery we don't want to play.

I watch a fair bit of South American football when I get the chance. The guy who is most like Mascherano who Benitez cherished so much is Santiago Ascacibar. Plays for Estudiantes and is an absolute little pitbull. I could see Benitez having the contacts to go after someone like who is not quite on the big clubs radar yet.

11. TheDiceMan

TheDiceMan Member

I'd have him, but not if it would stifle Shelvey; S is the future for us and Carrick has another year at most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

Don't understand the Yedlin criticism on this thread?!

13. Warmir Pouchov

The only bit I can see is General Lee? To be fair I can see a lot of frailties in him also defensively. Doesn't seem to have a lot of positional sense. Sometimes going forward there appears to be a lack thought, absence of a plan of what to do. Basically he seems a bit thick to me. I like his pace though and think he is our best option currently. Against the poorer championship sides he is definitely useful. In the PL...I'm not so sure how he will get on.

14. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

Really? I think he's been one of our better players this season.

15. Warmir Pouchov

I think he has done well. I just think he is fairly thick and loses track of where he should be. Sometimes going forward he is in fast forward and doesn't seem to understand linking and dovetailing with Ritchie. Still young and learning. He has done well, but I just wonder if its because he is not really tested at this level. Time will tell. I like him but he is a bit rough round the edges.

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Heard a reliable source say he is lined up should we get promotion.

17. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Really?? Intriguing.

He's been saying he's more likely to retire go to another club, so I can't see it happening, much as like it to be true.

18. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I'd love to have him. We have a great record of players coming from Man Utd and doing well for us. Alan Smith, Obertan, etc.

Seriously though, he's approximately a bazillion times better than Colback.

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  19. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think I should start a Transfer Rumour thread about Lionel Messi next. Although he probably wouldnt get much game time as Rafa only plays one up front.

20. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

It's ok we're getting Pardew to return and he's making room for Messi at left back by selling off Krul.

JakartaToon likes this.