1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Michael Carrick

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JakartaToon, Mar 2, 2017.

1. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39149036

Should we be approaching him to do one last season with us (assuming we go up) if he doesnt get a contract extension.
    He is like a much better version of Colback and Shelvey rolled into one. Superb vision, great covering and great passing ability.
    I know he said he would retire but maybe one last season at his hometown club on a great salary might persuade him.
    We know we will need to strengthen in midfield. To me he is far less risk than an untried foreigner and a short term solution that could allow us to consolidate.

J. J. McClure and Captainchaos. like this.
  2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Definitely but I have a feeling Ashley won't be having that and it's the type of thing that he knows will get Rafa to walk , so he'll be delighted if Rafa requests him

JakartaToon likes this.
  3. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who pissed in your Muesli this morning?

Captainchaos. likes this.
  4. Captainchaos.

Feeling fatigued mate

5. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

It would be good for us and him but I suspect his family will be settled where he is and to be honest like chaos says it's just not Ashley's bag. Not at 150k a week ish he would probably earn.

Cracking player though and one we should have had on our books many years ago being a Geordie lad an all that. It's still odd how he slipped through the net.

6. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

But if we get him on a free, and it's just for one season, £150k a week could be justified.

Absolutely get him if there's a chance, brilliant vision and passer, everything Colback isn't, I'm sure he'd be up for coming to us if he can't stay at Man U.

I remember Bobby Robson wanted him in 2004, but Freddie Shepherd got arsey about signing him, and Robson ended up going for Nicky Butt instead under Keiron Dyer's advice!

JakartaToon likes this.
  7. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I don't think there's such a thing in football as a free transfer. If you aren't paying the player's previous club a fee then you are paying the player and agent larger signing on fees. £150k/week for a season will be £7.8m. Plus the fees. You'd be talking £10m and that is pretty wasteful tbh. I'd leave well alone and as has been stated Ashley would never sign it off anyway.

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Yes for me. High quality even now. Man U always look better when he is on the pitch.

Reality though - 1. He doesn't sound like he would fancy it 2. Mike would never sanction it 3. Essentially he has to play and we are after more of a destroyer I would think - you'd basically be benching Shelvey who is still developing

Coaching role?

Captainchaos. likes this.
  9. Captainchaos.

I honestly think Shelvey is better suited to the NFL than the premiership

He might do well against the ****e teams in the championship but next season he'll offer very little

We will be looking for a new manager next season too

10. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

We've started to produce without him on the pitch, so I'm beginning to think this'll be his final season, and having just been granted a testimonial, I think it's probably the right thing for him and the club to part ways in the summer, on a playing level anyway.

I think he'd be happy to carry on playing as long as we'd keep him in the squad, but I think he's likely prepared to hang up his boots for the day that we don't offer him a new deal.

With respect, not every player is attached to their home town, there'd really be nothing you lot can offer him and a possible relegation scrap is probably the last thing he'd want to end his career with.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.

11. Warmir Pouchov

Exactly. Its a massive step down the ladder, why put yourself through it? I don't think he has a strong connection with the club, KK discarded him by getting rid of the youth set up.

12. Warmir Pouchov

I agree. I hope he can improve but all he has done in his career so far is show he is a capable player at this level. His petulance and lack of desire when the going gets tough would not serve him well when we are up against better teams most weeks.

13. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I reckon you need somebody with more energy anyhow in the midfield role, Carrick is surrounded here with players who'll do the graft, mainly Herrera this season. He sits deep, pulling the strings, we all know where his heat map is.

If you come up, I think you need somebody to do that graft in CM, not Colback, as much as he huffs and puffs he's not good enough.

Henry Boy likes this.
  14. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

He still has a house here in Morpeth and visits family a lot more regularly then you'd think.

Although agree with the rest of your post and everyone else. Ashley would never have it and he'll likely retire.

15. General Lee Speaking

Shelvey will be good enough to be part of a premier league team that stays up, no doubt about it, but top half maybe we are looking for someone better. I'd say one the most important signings we make, though, if we go up will be a defensive CM. I could live with Hayden as back up but Colback must be moved on and replaced with a more dynamic player with a real presence on the pitch.

16. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Not a hope in hell. Too old, plus he's already said he will never play for an English team other than Man.Un.

17. Warmir Pouchov

We need a Tiote from his first season. A holding midfielder who will destroy the other team and let Shelvey play. We need to walk before we run and Rafa plays a formation where it is a necessity

18. General Lee Speaking

...and West Ham United.
    ...and Birmingham City.
    ...and Swindon Town.
    ...and Tottenham Hotspur.

I think that's all of them.

19. Captainchaos.

Basically next season we're ****ed without major investment in some top quality players

20. General Lee Speaking

That has become very clear over the course of the season. I was hoping certain members of the squad would develop a bit this season, but I don't see enough progress with the likes of Mitrovic, Perez, Aarons, Hayden, Lascelles, Lazaar and Yedlin. Not enough to have any confidence for them to be regularly starting games in the Premier League anyway.

Warmir Pouchov and Captainchaos. like this.