1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Michael Appleton our new asst manager?

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by MIAMI_FOX, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Champions of England

Champions of England Active Member

You're saying Shakey can't sign top players like Lewandowski or any of Barca or Real's players but we could have Mourinho and still not be able to sign that calibre of player because we can't afford them and nor will we ever try because they're not the type of player we're ever going to go for.

You then say you don't want us to sign that type of player anyway and prefer to build slowly so you don't want us to sign top players but you're moaning that we can't now because of Shakey?

My own opinion is we wouldn't be signing top players no matter whose manager because they don't fit our philosophy.

I agree 100% if you're talking Lewandowski etc but disagree completely about Silva, if we want him still we'll get him and he'll come, I have no doubt that Shakey being manager won't deter him.

2. Champions of England

Green eyed monsters mate.

3. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Spurs have Champions League football while we don't so we have to pay over the going rate but even then we might not get our man - I remember when we were after Charles Aranguiz when Raneiri first joined us. We offered him much more money then Leverkusen yet he went there.

If the rumours are true, Maguire is on £80k p/w! I really hope that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot by having highly paid players satisfied with their lot like what happened with the likes of Sunderland - Appleton has a reputation of being authoritative so hopefully will make sure that doesn't happen.

4. Champions of England

Our stock has risen exponentially since then and I reckon if it was a case of us or Leverkusen now he'd choose us. We're an attractive club to play for nowadays and while fans might not see us as anything but Leicester, players will see how good we are and where we're heading, as proven by Maguire's comments.

My theory behind the £80k is loyalty. They want him to be future captain and the five year contract fits in with their five year plan so they don't want him leaving and messing that up. There will be a reason why we're paying him more than we need to and our owners are savvy, not fools.

I agree we'll have to pay over the odds for players but we can afford it and our owners have the ambition to spend it.

5. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I'm not moaning that we can't sign top players with Shakey in charge. In fact I haven't moaned about anything to do with the appointment. As I keep saying, I am happy with the appointment and the approach that will be taken in getting in the type of player that he will deem suitable for his plans and the type of squad development he is looking for. What I also said is that the very top players are more likely to go to the more high profile managers. This might be simply that they know them and may have even played for them at some time. That is the type of player that we do not really want to attract here at this stage in our development.

6. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a chance.

Leverkusen have Champions League football, we don't. That's the way it goes.

If Spurs want a player that we're after then the player will go to Spurs provided he'll get game time there. That's not really up for debate, it's a matter of fact.

7. Champions of England

Leverkusen ain't gonna do anything in the CL but anyway that's by the by, I'm not interested in Aranguiz and didn't want him at the time.

Spurs might well be able to sign a player over us for a first team spot but that's not what Spurs are looking for and any potential signing for us will likely be in the team but they will be on the bench there and on less money. That's also not really up for debate, it's matter of fact.

8. Champions of England

It appears we agree.

9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Spurs have several players on over £100k a week already.

10. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

What you are interested in doesn't matter - the club were and the player decided to join a higher profile club in the Champions League club for less wages.

It also happened when we couldn't keep Kante when we were the Champions and in the Champion League - he preferred to join a mid table club for less money then we offered him because they were a bigger club and good for the lad, it worked out for him.

Also don't throw stones in glass house mate - Leverkusen are going to do much more then we are in the Champions League...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

11. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Agree with this, say we offered Maguire the same wage that Spuds did with more of a guarantee of first team football, that may be why he chose to come here, especially with a world cup round the corner, its not like anyone bar Cahill is a safe bet to be selected.

Its very easy to say that we can afford to compete financially, but as Mahrez is showing, players have ambitions of playing at the top level, that is champions league football. He believes hes good enough to break into a CL starting 11 and wants to go.

12. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

Now I'm worried!

13. Champions of England

I'd say it's more to do with the fact we got off on the wrong foot than anything else, I'm sure we agree on a lot.

14. Champions of England

Yeah Mahrez wants CL football and he'd get it here if he stayed because I reckon we have as much chance of finishing top four next season as anyone else because they all have European football and we're a bloody good team who pick up results consistently and we'll have a better squad next season. If not CL then 100% EL. We will be a top six club over the next five years.

He's too big for his boots now, even though he was our worst player last season and didn't even deserve to start for us but unless someone offers £50m he ain't going anywhere and especially not cheap to a rival. No chance.

15. Champions of England

Mahrez wants CL football but would prefer Arsenal over any other club so he clearly isn't bothered about CL football, EL is enough.

Arsenal won't pay £50m for him and we won't sell to them cheap because we'll be looking to finish above them next season. That's a reality because as I keep repeating, the owners are aiming for CL so Arsenal are a direct rival.

Again these are the owners ambitions and goals not mine, I'm just excited about it and fully believe we can achieve top six at least.

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Apparently last season we told Arsenal that we wanted Oxlade-Chaimberlain + cash for him. I would give them that offer again.

17. Champions of England

We were a completely different club when we couldn't sign Aranguiz and now it's only opinion who he would choose over us and them and I'd say us because PL and more money. We'll never know either way, we can only assume so no point arguing it anymore.

Kante never wanted to be here anyway.

I also bet that Leverkusen don't win their group, knock out the the winners of the EL three seasons running and reach the quarter-finals. I'd wage everything I've got on it.

18. Champions of England

I don't rate him at all, just another overated youngster at a top club. I think Gray is just as good, neither have an end product,

19. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

I would be interested as Ox is a right winger and has a good cross on him so caould get Albrighton to mentor him - would be able to keep up with Vardy as well.

Gray just scored for the U21s so is learning at least.

20. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

If we know Gray, there was probably someone in a much better position for a tap in, but he shot anyway <whistle>

Champions of England likes this.