1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Merry Xmas Pards, you're fired!

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Dec 22, 2016.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

nor do I

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Me three

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

It's Big Sam on a two and a half year deal, I'll see more of the ball from my doorstep now...:grin:

kingdom hoop and sb_73 like this.
  4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Allardyce has a win rate of 33.6% from all his years managing in the PL. 35% was his highest at Bolton, but it's been 30% at his last two. Which will save you from relegation but nothing else. Why did anyone think he would make a good England manager?

5. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Perhaps we could sign him up to try and score a few goals for us? I only wish our midfielders, or anyone could chip in with goal numbers like that.

Pardew moved to Charlton Athletic in November 1991, and was Charlton's top scorer in the 1992–93 season with 10 goals.[4]

Personal information
    Full name Alan Scott Pardew[1]
    Date of birth 18 July 1961 (age 55)[1]
    Place of birth Wimbledon, England
    Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)[2]
    Playing position Midfielder

Senior career*
    Years
    Team Apps (Gls)
    1980–1981
    Whyteleafe
    1981–1983 Epsom & Ewell
    1983–1984 Corinthian-Casuals
    1984–1986 Dulwich Hamlet
    1986–1987 Yeovil Town
    1987–1991 Crystal Palace 128 (8)
    1991–1995 Charlton Athletic 104 (24)
    1995Tottenham Hotspur (loan) 0 (0)
    1995–1997 Barnet 67 (0)
    1997–1998 Reading 0 (0)
    Total 299 (32)

Teams managed
    Reading (caretaker)
    1999–2003 Reading
    2003–2006 West Ham United
    2006–2008 Charlton Athletic
    2009–2010 Southampton
    2010–2014 Newcastle United
    2015–2016 Crystal Palace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Pardew

6. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

7. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I wish he'd done his waltzing back into Loftus Road instead of the Co... we have now. We might have been snug mid table already, and with a few decent players promised him January to give us a promotion challenge, rather than going for League 1.

finglasqpr likes this.
  8. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

England? Not me. But believe he had a 100% win rate!

9. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

The option of consolidating in the premier league for a couple of seasons. Good management of finances in the back room.
    OR...
    Attempted consolidation in the championship under FFP with the possibility of relegation/promotion; regular changes of managers, players, staff etc etc

Whatever happened to good old football and the trek to the ground for a good old footballing game??????

10. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

We're not too brilliant there at 1.20 ppg in 2016

I wish someone would fire me for $5 million squid!

Crystal Palace axe Alan Pardew (with £5 million pay-off) and set up Sam Allardyce talks

please log in to view this image

Alan Pardew (background) will be replaced by Sam Allarydce (foreground)

Crystal Palace will hold formal talks with Sam Allardyce on Friday afternoon following the sacking of manager Alan Pardew and hope to make a swift appointment before their next fixture at Watford on Boxing Day.

The Premier League club have suggested that the former England manager is not the only candidate, but he is the outstanding preferred choice and has been for several weeks as Palace have been considering a change. He is likely to be offered a two-and-a-half year deal, including a seven-figure bonus for avoiding relegation.

Allardyce is, nevertheless, understood to want reassurances over how Palace is run – including its ownership structure, which changed at the start of this year with American investment – to bring in his own back-room staff and to have cash available in the January transfer window with the team in 17th place, just one point above the relegation zone.

Palace sources insist other managers are under consideration, including another former England boss, Roy Hodgson, and the Wales manager – and former Palace player – Chris Coleman, but it would be a major surprise if Allardyce is not installed should terms be agreed.

Allardyce has been out of work since late September when the Football Association decided he had to go after just 67 days as England manager following revelations in The Daily Telegraph. Palace will also want assurances that there will be no repeat of Allardyce’s injudicious behaviour.

Sam Allardyce, who managed England for 67 days earlier this year, is expected ton be named as the new Crystal Palace manager after the south London club sacked Pardew Credit: Getty Images
    Only last week Allardyce declared that he would “probably [return to work] in the new year if not before” and that his experiences with England would make him a better manager. “That is behind me now,” the 62-year-old said. “That is a very difficult, dark period, but moving on, adversity makes you stronger.”

Talks are now taking place with Palace chairman Steve Parish, who reluctantly asked Pardew to leave after a dismal run of form. Pardew has received a significant pay-off, which will come close to £5 million if he does not find another job during the length of the last contract he signed, only last summer.

He is understood to believe Palace have acted hastily and was convinced he could turn around the team’s fortunes. However, Parish has been under pressure for several weeks, with a number of the club’s new American shareholders – not just principal investors Josh Harris and David Blitzer – increasingly worried about Palace’s plight.

Pardew took Palace to the FA Cup final this year Credit: Getty Images
    Pardew won a stay of execution with the 3-0 home win over Southampton on Dec 3 but, since then, the side have drawn at bottom-placed Hull City and lost at home to Manchester United and Chelsea. Palace have won just six of their past 38 league games, taking relegation form from the end of 2015-16 into 2016-17. Despite reaching the FA Cup final last season, their points to games ratio (0.72) is the worst in all four divisions in 2016.

Unfortunately for Pardew, this has coincided with Harris and Blitzer, along with other US investors, buying a 36 per cent stake in the club for around £50 million. Ironically Pardew’s previously impressive stewardship was one reason why the Americans invested in the club in the first place.

Although Parish is responsible for the day-to-day running of Palace, and protected Pardew as long as he could, he is understood to have accepted a change was needed because of the risk of relegation and the lack of improvement.

Pardew damaged his prospects further by saying the club had shareholders who “perhaps don’t know a lot about football” and although several figures at Palace insist this was not directed at Harris and Blitzer – but some other small investors connected to them – it was not interpreted that way.

“I’m not going to blame other people [American co-owners],” Parish said. “Relegation is so costly and I feel with no blame attached we got ourselves in a rut and need a change. We hope a change will change things.”

Parish added: “We all bought into the decision to play a more expansive style of football [this season]. We all believed in it. That hasn’t worked. It’s no one’s fault. The players have been running their socks off for Alan, the spirit is good.”

Palace did move towards a more attacking style last summer with the recruitment of record signing Christian Benteke, Andros Townsend and goalkeeper Steve Mandanda but although they have scored goals, they have been defensively weak.

Parish added: “But now we’re going to wind the dial back the other way. We’re talking to a number of people to make sure we get this right. Nothing has been agreed.”

While no deal has yet been agreed with Allardyce, his powerful record as a firefighter against relegation, not least last season with Sunderland, and his ready availability make him the most attractive option to Palace.

Pardew was asked to 'step down' on Thursday Credit: Rex Features
    The wording of the statement confirming Pardew had gone – saying he had been asked to “step down” – reflected the difficulty of the decision.

Pardew himself said: “Personally I have a lot of good feelings for this club and am sad that my time there has ended. I feel that I have a special bond with the club and hope that hasn’t been affected.”

Pardew, a former Palace player, left Newcastle United to take over at Selhurst Park in January 2015 after Neil Warnock was sacked with the club in the relegation zone.

The 55-year-old’s appointment was popular with supporters and results improved as Palace went on to avoid the drop comfortably by finishing 10th, their best final position in the Premier League era.

Crystal Palace's desperate 2016 in stats
    Alan Pardew's ego is bound to be a little bruised by his dismissal from Selhurst Park, but the numbers suggest he has very little to argue with. Palace currently have the fourth-lowest all-time points total in a calendar year in the top flight. Only the awful Aston Villa team of 2015, West Ham in 1976 and Bolton Wanderers in 1898 rank lower.

Crystal Palace's worst league years everPoints per game192219511948197219541980198119251971196220161973Points per Game00.250.50.7511.25Highcharts

5:15PM
    One set of fans seem quite happy with the news
    Newcastle fans were "wrong" they said.
    Newcastle fans were "deluded" they said.
    Newcastle fans were right all along. https://t.co/3xoqAR9r29

— Geordie Faithful (@GeordieFalthful) 22 December 2016

5:06PM
    Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace record
    Alan Pardew has been sacked by Crystal Palace. Full reaction on #SSNHQ this hour. Read more: https://t.co/SluLdiTeXG pic.twitter.com/eQalXkipGQ

— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) 22 December 2016

4:34PM
    Twitter reacts
    I'm sure it'll be Allardyce but I'd be happy with Rowett, Keith Hill, Harry, Wagner or Coleman.

— Bruce Millington (@brucemillington) 22 December 2016
    Amazed Pardew lasted this long. #cpfc results in 2016 have been shocking.

— Paul Green (@PaulGreen1001) 22 December 2016

4:12PM
    Allardyce's representatives to 'hold talks' with Palace
    According to Sky Sports News, the representatives of Sam Allardyce are set to 'hold talks' with Crystal Palace as the South London club start planning their escape from relegation trouble. Allardyce has never been relegated from the Premier League, and most recently pulled Sunderland out of the mire last season.

4:04PM
    Top 10 contenders to replace Alan Pardew
    We ran the rule over 10 of the leading contenders to replace Pardew at Selhurst Park. One man leads the way with the bookmakers.

Sam Allardyce is odds-on favourite for the Crystal Palace job Credit: Getty Images

3:55PM
    More from Steve Parish: 'We need a change'
    The Crystal Palace chairman has admitted his club is "in a rut":

I’m not going to blame other people [American co-owners]. Relegation is so costly and I feel with no blame attached we got ourselves in a rut and need a change. We hope a change will change things. Even the most one-eyed opposition supporter would accept we've been on the end of some appalling [referee] errors over the last few games.

We all bought into the decision to play a more expansive style of football. We all believed in it. That hasn't worked. It's no-one's fault. The players have been running their socks off for Alan, the spirit is good.

But now we’re going to wind the dial back the other way.

We’re talking to a number of people to make sure we get this right, nothing has been agreed.

3:39PM
    Brilliantly inconsistent
    Pardew is amazing, Pardew is rubbish, Pardew is amazing, Pardew is terrible, Pardew is OK, Pardew is...oh. pic.twitter.com/l3TeAJMXEl

— Chris Collinson (@cacollinson) December 22, 2016
    3:34PM
    Compensation
    So the word is that Pardew has been given a healthy payoff of £4.8m and that Big Sam is waiting in the wings.

The bookies make him strong favourite. Here are the latest odds:

Sam Allardyce 5/6, Chris Coleman 17/11, Roy Hodgson 11/1, Chris Hughton 25/1, Harry Redknapp 25/1, Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1, Nigel Pearson 25/1, Ryan Giggs 33/1

3:30PM
    Pards joins this list

3:22PM
    Remember the good times
    Palace may be facing some hard times at the moment, but it was pretty rosy for them not so long ago. 1-0 up in the FA Cup final and this happened.

You can see it in his eyes
    Pardew smiled for a photograph in Victoria Station this morning. Little did he know...

So I bumped into Alan Pardew at London Victoria this morning.. turns out he was on his way to be sacked. His last picture as #CPFC manager pic.twitter.com/VeBvxXMGlO

The right decision?
    Probably. Here are a couple of reasons why:

22 - Only I.Branfoot (25 in 1993), O.Coyle (25 in 2011) & J.Lyall (23 in 1994) lost more PL games in a year than Alan Pardew in 2016. Gone.

— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 22, 2016
    0.72 - Crystal Palace have the lowest average points per game tally in the Premier League or Football League in 2016 (0.72). Worrying.

— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 22, 2016

Pardew's thoughts
    The sacked manager has released a statement of his own on the Crystal Palace website. Here it is:

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everybody at Crystal Palace for their fantastic support. In particular a big thanks to the players who gave me absolutely everything and Steve Parish and his Board.

Personally I have a lot of good feelings for this football Club and am sad that my time there has ended.

I feel that I have a special bond with the club and hope that hasn't been affected, I wish everybody associated with the Club the best of luck in the future including of course the fans who have been magnificent.

There will be no further comment at the present time.

Pardew sacked
    Crystal Palace have parted company with manager Alan Pardew with immediate effect.

The club released a statement on Thursday afternoon saying they had 'asked Pardew to step down'.

Chairman Steve Parish thank Pardew for his service, with the run to last season's FA Cup final a particular highlight, and wished him well for the future.

The statement in full:

Crystal Palace F.C. have today asked Alan Pardew to step down as Manager of the Club.

Club Chairman Steve Parish said, “I would like to put on record our sincere gratitude for the tremendous service Alan has given us, both in his time here as Manager and previously as a player. Following a fantastic second half of 2014/15, the 2015/16 season culminated in only narrowly missing out on winning the FA cup as well as securing our Premier League place for a record breaking fourth time. During his tenure Alan’s hard work and dedication were without question, he has improved so many areas of the Club and we wish him the very best for the future.

With games now coming thick and fast over the holiday period the Club are hoping to put someone in place as quickly as possible but have nothing to say about a replacement at this time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/22/alan-pardew-sacked-crystal-palace/

11. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

The lack of a compelling alternative?

12. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

And subsequently the job is given to Mr. Charisma himself, Southgate.