1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McBride's - Off The Beat Discussion

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

It's a shame Rhapsody (of Fire) are no more. Well, there's Luca Turilli's Rhapsody and Fabio Leone has gone solo, so we now have two Rhapsody (of Fire)s :D

And Fulhaman, if you go to the Cottage in that shirt do we get to call you a West End Girl? <laugh> :)

2. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

So would I be! Nah! It's from 2006 (I think) Concrete concert at the Mermaid Theatre.

3. Fulhaman

Only If I go in the Putney End.

4. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I had a lovely pint of Bath Ale last night for the first time. A lovely pint, highly recommended folks. Baby Cham is my preferred second choice if bitter isn't available, BTW.

5. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'm a big ale fan too. Gin is my second choice.

6. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Blue Moon, which is a kind of mock craft beer, very nice nevertheless.

7. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I drink Strongbow but am in no way a 'chav'. Does that make sense?

8. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'd be more of a chav if you were a Stella/Fosters/Carling/Carlsberg swiller.

9. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Is it only me who finds the term chav offensive?

The following isn't directed at anyone who has used the phrase on here, but I often here it used sneeringly by people who are looking down on others who haven't had anything like the same opportunities in life as them. The original derivation - 'council housed and violent' speaks of whole strata of society being written off en masse. It's a label that grates whenever I hear it. I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's appeared on this board a few times in the last week, and I thought I should say something.

Just to keep the mood light, I'm a bitter man too (for drinking that is, not personality type). I used to have a reasonably good pallet for whisky too, but not so much now.

10. Fulhaman

Estrella is my favourite beer closely followed by Mahou (which is very difficult to find over here so when I get it I tend to take my time over the few cans I get). I also like Leffe Rose which is only available abroad so bring it back when I do a Booze Cruise every six months or so.

I'm also very fond of Spanish Brandy - not French - Spanish is slightly different because it is matured in old sherry barrels and this adds something to the flavour that the French variety just doesn't have.

And in case your wondering why I like so much Spanish stuff (food, beer, food, Brandy, food) it's because the Mrs is a señorita (or was when I met her) now she's a señora.

11. FulhamIreland

FulhamIreland Well-Known Member

I'm Irish, I'll drink anything.

12. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

Hi Cap'n, I agree completely- which is why when I use it I put it between apostrophes. Sadly, though, it is the best way to help another approximate your thoughts efficiently.

There is another which could be interpreted in an equally offensive way, but it is used in mortgage industry- NINJA - no income, no job, no assets.

13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I see your point, Captain, but I'm not sure I agree. I wrote a response, but after thinking about it I think we should steer clear of this particular argument; no good can come of it!

Bitter and whisky for me. I also like red wine, but I don't really have the head for it any more.

14. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from Captain, but I've never used it to condescend to a 'minority'. The people I generally call chavs are quite literally the scum of the Earth, which I often know to be true.

15. Captain Morgan

I'm sure you're right, Surlyc. I thought twice about not commenting, but when the term started cropping up more than once I decided it was worth making the point. I had decided to air it just the once and then let it go. I wasn't trying to start a major debate, just add some fuel for thought.

Red wine: it nearly made my list as well. We're frighteningly alike in our drinking preferences.

16. Fulhaman

Can't drink any sort of wine - I can drink beer, gin, brandy, rum with no problem. Two glasses of wine and I'm flat on my back.

17. BredeRules

BredeRules Member

Anyhow, back to the alcohol preferences - Tongham TEA, Speckled Hen,
    NZ SavignonBlanc, SA Cab.Sauv, Bordeaux Red,Smooth Scotch e.g. Aberlour

Me - Middle Class????? (Captain, I agree with you. Bidley, I agree with you also).

18. Captain Morgan

I remember hearing once that Bono from U2 discovered that he was allergic to something in wine. Then he discovered that the enzyme (or whatever) that caused his problem broke down over time, meaning he could safely drink wine as long as it was really old vintage wine. I think the financial implications of that had less of an impact on him than it would on most people, but maybe that's your problem Fulhaman. All you need to do is to form a rock group, conquer the world and then get cracking on some of the really good stuff!

19. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

But preferably skip the "smug, bad-sunglasses-wearing bastard" bit out.

20. Fulhaman

Sounds simple. I'll start on Tuesday.

Oh,bugger, the bad sunglasses were the only bit I had off pat. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Seriously, I think i am allergic to something in the stuff to be honest. I can feel the headache developing after the first sip, and that can't be normal.