1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McBride's - Off The Beat Discussion

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Bidley, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

You couldn't make it up. On the QPR board someone has started a thread calling on his fellow board-members to boycott the Norwich board because they banned him. Can anyone follow his logic, because it beats me: 'I like going on other people's boards and winding them up, they don't like it so they ban me. To show them that I won't take this kind of thing lying down, I'll get all my mates to stop doing the thing they want me to stop doing.'

I'm almost tempted to go on and ask them to boycott us too, but it's best not to poke at wasps nests, just in case it provokes further hostility. I thought you'd all enjoy the muddle-headed strategy though.

2. Take Me Home Al Fayed

3. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I think someone needs to go on the QPR board and tell them to "chill out" or "lighten up".

4. Captain Morgan

I would just be a red rag to a bull, Bidley. Best to leave them alone.

5. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I've been there before. It's not pretty.

Coincidentally, has anyone seen/interested in seeing the new Spider-Man film?

6. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Oh I know, I was just commenting on the stunning irony as much as anything.

Absolutely not. It annoys me no end that all the films coming out these days are remakes and reboots. Why does Spiderman need a reboot?! The last ones weren't out that long ago!

7. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Unfortunately Bidders, most films these days are pointless and seriously lack any sort of originality. Whether it be comic book films, graphic novels, remakes, reboots, book adaptations, prequels or sequels.

I watched it the other night with a serious comic book enthusiast (I'm an enthusiast but not to the same degree) and it really was not worth it. There's only so many fresh ideas you can come up with in three/four years and sadly the remake was lacking in them. It has obviously been toned down for a teenage audience, so the 'humour' is cranked up a notch as is the romance. As a stand alone film it wouldn't be so bad, but because there was something before it, it makes the new effort almost redundant.

8. Captain Morgan

Surely Spider-Man (you forgot the hyphen. I am that big a pedant) would be a re-spin.

9. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

It's criminal isn't it! Has 'Hollywood' really run out of ideas?! I read the other day there's going to be a remake of Total Recall with Colin bloody Farrell?! Why?!

I suppose that nonsense sells. People would rather watch a film well within their comfort zone, meaning one they've seen before with different actors. The last two 'original' films I saw was Battleship and The Dictator. I'm a big Sacha Baron Cohen fan so enjoyed TD, but Battleship was utter, utter bollocks.

10. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I didn't forget the hyphen, I meant it to be read like "Barrowman".

Honest.

11. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Also, Bandit, you say you were waiting for my top 5 bands, I write you a dissertation on my tastes, and I get nothing! The least you could say is "LOL what a load of ****e"! Bah!

12. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Thing is, a lot of these remakes are actually make overs. Total Recall was great but is now about 25 years old so with all the new computer graphic wizardry someone probably thinks they can make it seem much slicker and shiny and take it to places the effects of a quarter of a century ago wouldn't let it go. The same is true for all the other remakes that we see nowadays (although the Spider-Man one does baffle me, to be honest because it is so recent).

Trouble is, the originals are usually so much better. And don't get me started on Batman - the franchise that would not die.

13. Captain Morgan

To be fair, Batman had died a death in the 90s, there was a suitable gap before Christopher Nolan came along and took it in a very different (and very impressive) direction. You can't necessarily make the same argument with the Spider-Man films, although I can't say that I'm particularly vexed about it. Not nearly as much as I am by Bidley's errant punctuation.

14. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Ahh apologies. Mind must have wandered off somewhere. I remember you saying you liked NOFX? A friend introduced me to them a few years back with Stickin' In My Eye and I've liked them ever since. I wouldn't really say I'm that much into metal, such as Slayer etc but do have a soft spot for Metallica. Their S&M album is golden.

And you do know Battleship is inspired by a board game? :p and was also lifted from the Transformers series. So I wouldn't call it entirely original myself.

15. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Bat-man is an except-ion to the rule, the late-st films have been very good indeed. I think Chris-topher No-lan has done a great job in pro-gressing the fran-chise from the shockers that were Bat-man For-ever and Bat-man and Rob-in!

16. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

That only furthers my point! Either way it was big, smelly, polka-dotted, brown pants.

17. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Yes, the last couple of Batman's have been decent. Same thing with James Bond - I was ready to pull the plug on the whole franchise when Daniel Craig took over and the harder edged story lines made it worth watching again.

As for Spider-Man, I've heard it's good, but like most of you, uninterested in seeing the story respun (pardon the pun). I can't think of any movie remakes that were better than the original.

18. Captain Morgan

Ocean's Eleven. The George Clooney one is excellent, whereas the original Sinatra one is dreadful. That said, Ocean's Twelve is arguably the worst sequel to a film in the history of cinema. Unless, of course, any of you have better (meaning worse) suggestions...

19. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

This is an opinion a lot of people share but there are some gems out there.

The Fly (David Cronenberg)
    The Thing (John Carpenter)
    The Departed (Martin Scorsese)
    Scarface (Brian De Palma)
    Insomnia (Christopher Nolan)

There are others but I'm blanking.

20. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I never knew Scarface was a remake, heh.

I'd like to add that Terminator 2: Judgement Day is the best sequel ever.