1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mazzarri's future

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Jan 29, 2017.

?

What should happen to Mazzarri

Poll closed Feb 2, 2017.
  1. Go now

36.8%
  2. Give him till Burnley at least

21.1%
  3. Give him a month

5.3%
  4. Give him till end of season then decide

36.8%
  1. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

The other thing that worries me is that we are spending almost all of our extra revenue. That means if we do get relegated we will have massive commitments. I wish I believed the Pozzos had a real plan. Did Quiche have a 3 year contract or was that new for Maz? Are the Pozzos nervous that if they make Watford too good they will be seen as their number one club?

2. Jennings60s

Do you think so? Wish I believed that.

3. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

You seem 'in the know' on this.
    Do you have an idea of the replacement as well? Another unknown or a more familiar face?
    The right choice could do wonders with this squad.

4. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Quique had a two year deal but it was he who insisted on inserting a clause that it could be terminated after one year by either party, it was he who acctivated said clause hence my thoughts that he had a game plan in mind when he took the job.

Markthehorn likes this.
  5. Jennings60s

Sounds likely - and so a three year deal was unusual for the Pozzos - they must have really thought he was the right man

6. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not particularly, but a 'good source' leaked that one...we will see, but i'd suggest it's a reliable source! i've heard so many rumours about Mancini but despite the fact that he's been to a couple of games and watched from the Directors box, i can't imagine we'd afford him. I just pray it's not Ranieri!

7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Wonder why they gave Walter a 3 year contract in the first place - maybe with his experience of top level players they thought he'd iron out any discipline issues and be able to control the squad.

Seems to be the opposite to me!

Flores wasn't fussed about staying as stated about - with Mazzarri I guess we will never know but he does cut a frustrated figure on the touch line and his usual comments about wanting the players to do this seem strange - as if they don't listen to him.

8. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

It's a tough one to call really because I don't want us to keep changing manager every season, but also don't want us to keep someone when it's clearly not working. The question is though, who is there to replace him? We all know the Pozzos don't go for the obvious, but think it's got to the point where we need someone with some Premier League knowledge/experience. We always buy in a number of players from foreign leagues, so it seems too hard to try and get both the manager as well as a number of players to adapt to the league in such a short space of time.

It's obvious WM hasn't won over the fans - it's quite telling he doesn't have his own song. Even when we were playing awful under QSF, fans were still singing his name. There seems to be no connection with him and the fans, and think a lot of that comes down to the football we play, which is sometimes baffling. We seem to have the players to be able to play better football, but a bit like QSF, he sometimes tries to put square pegs into round holes - I mean, 4 CBs at the back! Sure it worked against Arsenal, but we needed to keep it tight... but away to Palace, with the pace they have on the wings, we needed proper FBs in there, IMO.

The Pozzos seem to like WM, and rate him highly, but he doesn't seem to be suitable to the Premier League. He seems to chop and change the formation and certain players too often, and there just doesn't seem to be any tactics in many of the games. Seems a certain level of reliance of just play it long to Deeney and hope he can do something... win us a set piece or something. There has been some bad luck in losing some creative players like Pereyra and Zarate... but there should be enough in that squad to create more.

I think he probably should go now... but the question really is, who can we bring in to replace him!

9. Chris 13

Someone of that level would be nice :)
    Pellegrini coming back from China?
    You never know!

10. Markthehorn

Hornette_TID likes this.

11. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Most on the wobby is tosh well comments wise, but I thought this comment was worth posting here:

danholman:

Whilst I agree he has zero charisma and there is a lack of manager-fan engagement which ultimately will lead to short thrift relative to results, let's look at the table. People can look down etc but equally we are two! points from 10th with a game in hand over three teams above us. The reality is 10-16th is a bunch of teams who are consistently inconsistent. Am I his biggest supporter. Absolutely not however he has more of a plan b than QSF did and is much more willing to change formation and team than QSF did. The threshold for relegation this season will be 33-35 points so absolutely people need to relax. We are in the same bucket as those other teams between 10-16th. Yes we have less points than last season but so do ALL the other lower teams as the big teams at the top have picked up far more this season. So comparing points year on year is not justified as the top teams have improved pointswise markedly (hence the gap for the top 6-7). Also QSF garnered us so few points after January that regardless we will finish with more points than last season I have no doubt as we will pick up 9-10 more points in the remaining games. There are far more teams in worse shape than us and I hate the phrase "reality check" but the truth is we are comfortable. My biggest concern is the return to a long ball game with no style or swagger. The last few games have been appalling to watch (both teams) which is more an indictment on the premier league from 9th-10th down.
    Trying to take positives before the Sunderland game!

kchorn likes this.
  12. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

The game in hand referred to is away at Chelsea!

Hornette_TID likes this.
  13. Mexican Hornet

Still one more game that others mind in total...

14. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

My biggest concern is that whereas the Joker actually improved us over a season the last two have seen us starting like lions and finishing like lambs - could this be because others are able to suss us out over a season ? I cannot believe that the Pozzo's are simple enough to believe that they can send us someone who has never managed, or played, outside of Italy in his entire life, who then has the responsibility of putting a team together consisting of players who are also new to the British game.

15. Markthehorn

Listened to a bit of 606 on Saturday and there was a caller saying our position masked some very poor performances generally..

Savage was trying to say but you are "safe (9not yet..)/mid-table is good for us" (which is true...) so suspect the media will question the Pozzos' decision if Walter does go at the end of the season.

16. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

17. Chris 13

Hornette, I know you said Maz was leaving but apparently at last weeks 'At your place' event it was made clear he was staying. Maybe Duxbury can't come straight out with it but apparently he was very supportive of the manager, except his English of course!

18. Mexican Hornet

19. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I found this line interesting "Some of us do more than others, but the responsibility is the same for everyone." I wonder if he means about playing time or if some actually do try harder then others!

Possibly reading too much in to it, but may be a reason why someone like Success hasn't been getting the game time - he is fit but simply doesn't deserve to start!

Also getting fed up of the constant moaning on the pitch. Holebas is an obvious one but even Amrabat was at it a lot on Saturday.

20. Mexican Hornet

Think there is a lot in between the lines really....