1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic May to seek snap election for 8th June

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Jack TheLad, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

The danger here is that people see this as personality politics. From watching the various news channels over here May wants a stronger hand to negotiate Brexit as laid out in her Article 50. Labour is looking at the Economy and NHS which looks more Nationalist.

Could be a bit more interesting than some think. Cameron won a landslide because he promised a referendum on EU and we have now reached stage two.

2. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Corbyn is simply a dead loss. He seems nice enough, but he fronts a ****ty crew bent on a left wing agenda that makes Dennis Skinner look like a Tory. The sooner he goes the sooner we get a proper opposition not based on Tim "orpen, tollerunt and yoo-nahted" Farron.

Montysoptician likes this.
  3. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

But blaming Corbyn for being there isn't the point.

Blame the system that put him there.

The unions are run by the left wing activist who are the ones most likely to attend and vote at union meetings.
    So he got their vote.
    Mostly people who join Political Parties tend to be activists too and in Labours case I believe the majority are left wing. So he got their vote as well, (as well as the Tories who joined at the last minute just to make sure he got in).
    He didn't get the majority of MP votes on the simple basis that they could see what the outcome would be from a mile off.
    Turkey's DON'T vote for Xmas.

A thumping defeat might be a good thing if it gets that system changed.

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

The national debt has doubled under the Tories, the health service is in utter crisis like never before, people forced to use food banks are at record levels, the vast majority of people are still worse off than they were before the Tories took office, the number of homeless people has grown enormously, state schools have had their funding slashed, councils have had their funding slashed and the social services are in utter crisis. So why is it that the narrative being portrayed in the mainstream media is that the country is doing well under this government?

Montysoptician and Nostalgic like this.
  5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Looking forward to every Tom, Dick and Harry self-electing themselves as Social Media MP's over the next few months.

This is going to be an absolute trouncing and no amount of 'man-in-the-street' waffle will change a damn thing.

IMO :)

6. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Would all of that not have been pretty much the same if Labour had been in power (if they'd had the sense to elect Davey Boy instead of Ed), with the UK having been in a 'not very good state' financially for decades ?

7. adz_safc

adz_safc Active Member

The country couldn't keep up with previous spending so they would have had to have been cuts regardless of who was in power (unless they want to make us like Greece). Unless people accept paying more in taxes (including companies who couldn't give a **** about people, then things won't change much and who is going to vote for a party openly admitting to putting taxes up?

8. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I just wanna **** her.

9. MrRAWhite

Stealth taxes have went up for the less well off as well as below inflation wage rises which in reality are wage cuts. benefits have been cut for the disabled, but at the same time the richest people and large business have had their taxes cut..The result of this is less tax revenue coming in which is causing the spiraling national debt. The Tory hard austerity policy directed at everyone but the rich is just not working.

10. MrRAWhite

I don't think so mate for the reasons I have put in the previous reply.

11. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Above comments go in line with what I always say. Tories or labour, May or Corbyn, In Europe, Out Europe, any combo of, stay in bed for a year and when we wake up we'll still be skint, complaining of taxes, foreign policy , every policy, the NHS , funding for everything and MP's expenses etc etc.
    I think this is going to be confusing for most voters. Vote for traditional party?, or current party policies?, the individuals?, how the winner will go about Brexit?
    Having said that, I will vote as if I don't I believe I'll have no right to moan.

Billy Death and MrRAWhite like this.
  12. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

The winner will be whoever Rupert Murdoch and the press want to win :bandit:

Billy Death likes this.
  13. Tel (they/them)

I don't think debt rising is a fair way to measure a party who have had a gargantuan task of cleaning up the mess made before then, albeit including mistakes previously made by them too.

The deficit is a far more accurate assessment.

Corporation tax for the big American chains needs to be ruthless though, if they don't pay it, then confiscate the premises.

I don't buy the rich people being given an easy ride story, it's too left wing imo, higher earners have and always will put more into the system, they could buy a £70k car and that's £14k in the coffers from VAT, it'd take the average earner 2 years or more to put that in via income tax.

Labour under Corbyn would save the NHS by compromising national security, it's simply not an option.

Sidthemackem and polyphemus like this.
  14. MrRAWhite

I have made my dislike of Corbyn very clear, and agree with his weakness on defence issues. My gripe is with the national media who do not point out the mess this government is making of things. Also, didn't the trade deficit hit record levels in 2016?

15. Tel (they/them)

The national deficit has been slashed massively mate, if reports are to be believed. Being able to service debt is more important than not acquiring any more.

It's a little like United having £500m debt and Sunderland having £160m debt, Sunderland are much worse off though as a business.

Like you say though, it's hard deciding who to believe with media picking favourites, time to put my head in the sand for a few months!

MrRAWhite likes this.
  16. MrRAWhite

I'm sure I read somewhere that the trade deficit with the EU reached record levels last year, but could be wrong..

17. Tel (they/them)

Good thing we're leaving then if that's true.

18. MrRAWhite

If Le Pen wins in France it could change everything regarding the Brexit negotiations..

19. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I hope he does.

20. MrRAWhite

He is a she mate..