1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matt Taylor Transaction.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 2, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Football League to launch probe into Bristol transfer furore as Rovers prepare official complaint about Matty Taylor's £300,000 move to rivals City.
    • Football League are set to investigate Matty Taylor's move to Bristol City
    • Taylor made the move from Bristol Rovers to join club's rivals on Tuesday
    • The £300,000 figure exactly matched release-clause price in his contract
    • Such information is deemed private and confidential by League regulations
    By Charles Sale

The first transfer between the two Bristol clubs in 30 years is set to be the subject of a Football League investigation.
    There is concern at Rovers over what City may have known about striker Matty Taylor's contract terms before they made their successful £300,000 bid for his unlikely switch from the Memorial Stadium to Ashton Gate.
    That figure, which City offered for Taylor last Sunday, exactly matched the release-clause price in the player's Rovers contract.

Such information is deemed private and confidential by League regulations, and players are not permitted to disclose it to rival clubs, nor can they get their advisors to do so. The League would look into the matter if Rovers make an official complaint, which they plan to do.
    Rovers are concerned that Taylor's agent Tam Byrne, who works for the Wasserman Media Group, also has a close relationship with City manager Lee Johnson. WMG claim Byrne did not leak any private contractual information and that although he is a friend of Johnson's, he does not contractually represent him.

Bristol City sources say Taylor's release-clause price had been published during media speculation before his move to City.
    A club statement said: 'Bristol City can confirm that it made an offer over the weekend to Bristol Rovers for an undisclosed fee for Matthew Taylor and that offer was accepted.'

The furore generated by Taylor's move led to a police presence around his home after the transfer was announced.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...gue-launch-probe-Bristol-transfer-furore.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I think it was common knowledge of a release clause and the £300K release figure days before the window closed, the figure was being bounced around by the press, it was on all of the forums and there was no denial by Bristol Rovers before hand, they should be pursuing Taylor's agent not Bristol City if there is a case to be answered.

If they were so thick as to allow that to be entered into his contract it's their own thick fault, they should take the money and be glad, the player has moved on, so should they and don't make the same mistake next time, incompetent fools.

Red Robin likes this.
  3. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

They should either have made Super Matty (sounds strange saying that!) Taylor an improved offer to safeguard their interest and investment, or now learn from what appears to be a schoolboy error on their part, and slink away into the night on their Camels and try and find a cheaper replacement. Oh wait, they can't as the Transfer Window has shut <laugh>

Going crying to the Football League about it because a group of bigger boys legitimately stole their only worthwhile asset just smacks of desperation.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

absolutely what I said.... they had a valuable asset which "was worth £10m :emoticon-0100-smile " or at least 2 maybe £3m and they only gave him/negotiated a 2 year? contract with a come and get me clause of £300k ...... I wonder if they put a sell on clause into his deal with City ... if we sell him on they get to pay us 15% extra :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Red Robin and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  5. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Wasn't he out of contract in the summer? If so, the player has all the power to negotiate and The Gas would really have no way to stop such a clause being inserted. Don't think they can be mocked for that.

Jean Luc Bosman once again hurts the game....

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

You are correct - inserting the clause was the only way Rovers got him to sign the contract, so it wasn't them being stupid, just accepting that it was the best they could do in the situation.

Bit harsh to say Bosman hurt the game - he himself suffered as a player, without enjoying any of the benefits the new ruling have brought to others. I will admit though that maybe there should be something in place to protect clubs (particularly smaller ones).

7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Yeah the circumstances around Bosman's issue meant that if the ruling was never made, he would have been completely shafted by the club.

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This guy new just what he was doing, what is all the fuss about..?

* Clarke admits that Rovers were keen to see Taylor move anywhere else other than their cross-city rivals, but that they were powerless to block the transfer due to a release clause.

* "We managed to sign Matthew, but we could only do that if there was a release clause in the contract. He would not have signed the deal without that caveat.

* "We would have liked him to go somewhere else other than our rivals across the city, but you can see why they have done the deal.

* "They are in a relegation spot and are signing lots of players to get themselves out of a mess. They are desperate to stay in the Championship and will see it as a good bargain."

* "I knew in my own mind that there was a good chance of us losing Taylor and then it was a case of creating a good opportunity to get the most money from a minimum release clause.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/matty-...bristol-city/story-30106497-detail/story.html

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  9. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This comes from gaschat, proof the "gasheads" suspected the £300k back in December, note the date..

please log in to view this image

10. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Common knowledge.

The gas should asked themselves how that was allowed to occur?

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Exactly. No championship club came in for him in the summer and thats where he wanted to go. Lots of league 1 clubs offered him a deal and the choice was his. But he only wanted to stay if we included a release clause of £300k. So what do we do? Do we say no and let him join a league 1 rival for free? Or do we agree to his terms and hope he does the business for us which will put him in the shop window for championship clubs and at least we will get a fee for him?

It was a win win situation for us as he has scored plenty for us helping us to 8th and he has also got us a fee too. Yes, the £300k is peanuts but its a lot better than what it could have been!

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Thats all been explained but to reply to the £10 million bit, DC has admitted today that heonly said that to potentially put off clubs going for him. Obviously meaning he thought the £300k wasnt common knowledge. But it was of course. We were discussing this last week on our board about the £300k figure cant be true as seems low.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

A very good point which I have seen in many places <ok> But I am getting the impression that no one at Rovers believe they leaked that info to make it common knowledge. So who leaked it then? Thats the question isnt it really. And from what I have read on this, avoiding everyones opinions but just concentrating on the story from the daily mail who 1st reported this story, it sounds like Rovers are suggesting someone close to Taylor (like his agent) could be the guilty one! If so, then 'apparently' that breaks a football league rule that I didnt even know existed and even now I dont think it actually does! I think the daily mail could be just stirring the pot to be honest. I say that because its funny how neither City or Rovers have said anything on it about a complaint yet a national newspaper have but this story out and not someone local press. Seems strange to me. <ok>

14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It's more than likely come out of the blue camp, there is proof above they were discussing back in December, I still don't understand Bristol Rovers going to the FA with a complaint, it's seems farcical,nothing to be gained..

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I dont think we are pursing City. If this story is true then the football league is just investigating the transfer and if any foul play is been found then I cant see City will be the ones to be punished. Its not your fault is it. It will either be Taylor, his agent or whoever who is found out. You only recieved the info. Thats not breaking rules surely.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

No doubt that it was talked about back in December. I think the issue is, who put it out there for those on gaschat to talk about it? How did those on gaschat find out about the £300k? If this story is true from the daily mail, then all Rovers are doing is asking for the deal to be investigated because if someone has broke the rules then someone should get punished for it surely? It obviously wont get us Taylor back and im sure no gashead would want him back no anyway <laugh>. It also wont get us more money either. So like you wiz, what is the point? Just let it go Rovers unless you have real proof of someone breaking the rules which I severely doubt is the case. Move on. But I still have my suspicions that there is any weight behind this story anyway <ok>

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So who is this good friend of Taylor's then who leaked the info to harleygas as quoted in the image that you have kindly included?

This good friend looks to be the one who has broken the football league rules (if such a rule exists of course!)

I wonder if harleygas will grass on the individual who is apparently a close friend to Taylor!!

18. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

According to the news tonight,Rovers have not gone to the FA.

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

There you go. I had my suspicions on this but wasnt sure. Why would Rovers tell the daily mail and not anyone else? That just didnt make sense to me.

20. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

This fan is a bit stupid isn't he hoping for a bidding war? The release clause is 300k so why would any club pay more? The bidding war would come in offering the contract not in the fee paid

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.