1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Matt Le Tiss given an award for Saints greatest player ever. Do you agree, is he??

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Beddy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Reading the Daily echo a day or so ago.......I saw the headlines.......Matt Le Tiss voted greatest Saint ever. Apparently it was between Channon, Terry Paine, and Matt Le Tiss.
    I think what puzzles me is that a decision was made a few years ago to actually build a statue to the greatest Saint ever...Namely Mr Southampton himself ....Ted Bates.
    So the title Greatest Saint ever needs to be re named perhaps?
    I really do not want to take anything away from Matt or any of the players mentioned, but that award had already gone posthumously to Ted Bates. So how can we have two people with the same title? Just a thought..........

2. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

In my lifetime.... yes

In history.... perhaps no

Paul Wotton has got to have been a contender surely???? Whats wrong with these people! :D:D:D

3. Beddy

<laugh> or Pulis perhaps <laugh>

4. Gonch

Gonch Member

Woah there - what about Ali Diah? :emoticon-0140-rofl:

In all seriousness you could say Ted Bates was the Greatest Ever Saint and Le God was Saints Greatest Ever Player*

*IMO

5. NashySFC

NashySFC Member

Pulis.... Nah..... top 10 maybe but not top 3 ;)

Ali Dia??? Brief spell with us but was clearly too good at our level so had to move on!

6. Beddy

In all seriousness you could say Ted Bates was the Greatest Ever Saint and Le God was Saints Greatest Ever Player*

*IMO[/QUOTE]
    Good point.....Although as you know Ted bates was also a player for us at one point. I think I could go along with your point though!!

7. SFC4BAG

SFC4BAG Well-Known Member

Le Tiss has the advantage of having been the most recent of our players. Go back in time to the Likes of Wayman, Ron Davies, Terry Paine etcetera and you could have a few disagree about Matt. Ted Bates was with our club for a bloody long time and rightly is known as Mr Southampton.

8. Beddy

Yes he was SFC...........I am afraid I go back to the "up the middle for Charlie era" Or perhaps another not given a mention of course was Derek reeves. How ever How do you compare the players from yester year with the players of today. You would have to vote for someone you know rather than someone you don't. As some one else has pointed out, it could be argued that he was the saints "greatest player" but not the "greatest Saint".

9. SFC4BAG

How could I forget Reeves? Was 44 in a season.Charlie I was too young to remember though my dad said we were lost without him and proved it.<doh>

My first game was in 52 for my birthday in September.

10. Beddy

Mine was in 47.......Same here birthday present.......but I had to go to Pompey matches as well......a divided family I'm afraid.

11. SFC4BAG

No Pompey in the family but back when a nipper we often popped down to FP for a game when we were away. Wasn't the aggro then.

12. Gonch

Gonch Member

You guys are making me feel really young - cheers!!<ale>

13. Beddy

Grandfather and one uncle ex Navy so Pompey Fans.........The other uncle ex Army........Could have played for Saints at one time so supported Saints. However Saturday afternoons was our day we all used to go to each others grounds every week. No rivalry when outside. Inside though was a different kettle of fish. Man some of those arguments used to make me duck under the table. They soon realised that the argument was getting bad when I went to hide under the table. They also new that if my Nan or Mum came into the room and found me under the table there would be big, big trouble. Especially Nan she wasn't called the Duchess for nothing <laugh> Ah lovely memories

14. SFC4BAG

Funny how everybodies nan used to rule the roost. Even my Mum9god bless her) would stop me in my tracks up till she died three odd years ago and in front of my kids if she felt it was warranted. Still remeber my Aunt coming home for a visit from the states and we took her old man and my cousin to the Dell. They had never been before and couldn't understand what the fuss was all about. Too americanised I guess.

Waiting patiently now for the next time we meet the blues so we can get some payback.

15. Beddy

Your Mum never stops being your Mum that is for sure...........My mother too was the corner stone of our family although tragically she died comparatively young ..God bless her..... My youngest son barely remembers her. As for our next meeting with the blues, yes it is time we repaid the compliment. I guess we will have to wait until next season to do it though!