1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Watford v Barnsley

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Apr 19, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread

Watford v Barnsley

The Hornets welcome the Tykes and the 13th team plays the 17th (as the table stands while I write). The travelling folk of the South Riding of Yorkshire are coming to visit to Hertfordshire. And finally the Yellows host the Reds.

WATFORD

please log in to view this image

• The Manager – Malky Mackay

“I am so proud of them for the way they have gone about their business this season through adversity, plenty of times.”

“I think to come up here in front of that intense atmosphere and play the way we played and pass the ball the way we did, will mean that young group will fast track and potential will turn into reality.”
    • The Hornets

Ross Jenkins was withdrawn from the match at Leeds last weekend because of injury, I can not find out what and perhaps with a week to right itself he will be fit for Barnsley.

Stephen McGinn will sit out the rest of this season and a bit of the next one with the damage to his knee ligaments.

• The Fan – Loyal Supporter

"This season has been many things but mediocre is not one of them, that's for sure. This has been a season of development and progress over last year in my opinion. Any true Watford fan wants us to do well, but let's face it, most of us thought we were doomed to a relegation fight this year whereas we've been in the Top 10 for most of it. We've been in the Prem twice in the last 11 years with some exciting times along the way. For a club that nearly went bust (only just a season and a half ago) and had to come back from the brink with limited everything, I'd say overall there is not a lot to complain about at the moment. I do wish A.Taylor and Mutch had stayed, or tat we had got another left back in , but there it is. Supporting this club is certainly never dull...U Orns!!!”

Update on the Hornet's latest statistics

BARNSLEY

• The Manager – Mark Robins

"
    It feels like we've lost but there was some great stuff from us. We've passed the ball well. I'm really disappointed for them. We were getting the ball into the box and we moved it well.”

” I thought we were the better side for most of the game. Until we went down to ten men and then we were under the cosh a little bit. The fans came and sang their hearts out, it was just disappointing that we couldn't send them home with the three points we deserved.”

• The Tykes
    Barnsley are another club who are timid to say which players are injured or suspended.
    • The Fan – ?
    “?.”
    I have not seen anything like the Barnsley fans. They must be so happy there is not a bad word among them. A little spat in a thread about new owners and wish lists for new players but that is all.
    Who will win?

Current form

With two wins three draws and three defeats in the last eight matches Barnsley’s and Watford’s form is identntical and the goals record of 10-10 is almost the same as Watford’s 12-11.The wins against S****horpe United and Bristol City, both at home is far better than Watford who lost to both these teams on our own field. Watford have however played a 0-3 away win and three games at Vicarage Road with five of their games away where Barnsley have played four at home and away.

Akureyri's Prediction: 3-0 It is about time Watford woke up and I think the Tykes will be the unlucky club to feel the Hornets sting.
    There is a history

The last match: Barnsley 0 – Watford 0: A match in which Barnsley were slightly the better team had Watford return to Vicarage Road with half the spoils. A Scott Loach save from no distance from a Garry O’Connor shot and two lucky moments gave Watford their point, where shots hit each of the goal posts.

Further into the past: I was prepared for a one sided piece here but Barnsley have won seven times in Watford and Watford only ten, there have been eight draws. The goals have not been dissimilar either 32-26 in favour of the Hornets. A 4-0 win for the Hornets in 1988 was their best and the Tykes managed two 0-2 wins, one in the only cup game between the teams in 1911 and the other in 1993.

On My Radio: If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC Radio Sheffield will cover the game.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget
    The Hornet's Nest on the BBC’s 606 or not606
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Watford.

2. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Nice job as ever AK ,Hope your right about the score!

3. northofwatfordpete

MMM....not sure that I can't handle change - must be an age thing.

4. Norwayhornet

Pete dont worry it gets easier its just daunting at the beginning and there are plenty of people to help if you get stuck!

5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You will get there. I did, and I will wager that I have a few more than you. ;)

Anyway nice to see you again. The community is getting back together and with the topics discussed can be quite fun.

ak....good as ever. I think that when I was at the Vic it was Mark Robins first game in charge. Danny was also fairly new and scored the winner. I would be happy if he scored again.

I telephone one of our number with the result when he is out of contact. I don't remember ever reporting a loss if that is anything to go by. ;)

6. Sir_Luther_Blissett

<ok> ak.

I think we might win... Why am I optimistic? I'm never optimistic. We'll get thumped now... oh, phew! Normal service has been resumed :wink:.

7. Norwayhornet

I am optimistically hopeful !

8. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

lol @ SLB...that's how i'm feeling!...great thread as ever Ak, thank you :)

9. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Great thread AK - Cannot make it as I am away, but little Miss W_Y will be representing the W_Y's.

I am going for the usual of 3-1 to Watford with the norverners scoring first

10. Norwayhornet

Cant think what the international element of us would do these days ,without Aks match threads! They have become an essential part of matchdays!
    :emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp:emoticon-0137-clapp

11. Dyches Beard

Dyches Beard Member

I would go for a Watford win, but it's a family day so that's unlikely! Nevertheless, I am predicting 2-1 to Watford :biggrin:

12. Norwayhornet

Aw shucks I forgot it was a family day! oh well next win v fester then!

13. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a family day? Darn it!

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

We will win - no doubts

15. Norwayhornet

Hope so! after 3defeats 2 draws a win would be timely!

16. Norwayhornet

Just posting to keep this one above the foxes one! and in order!

17. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

Family days usually ruin the football, add to that there is an "end of season" feel about many things could make for a quiet day.

I gather the Season Ticket details will be released on Saturday (a small rise is expected), so I expect people to be a bit distracted.

As for the game, I expect an even encounter without the pantomime Paul McShane (wasn't he in hi-de-hi?). Let's hope we can turn the form on and entertain the punters.

18. Norwayhornet

Good news about the season tickets! Must have read your complaint Elixir!:)

19. LuxWFC

LuxWFC Member

I don't think Barnsley have an X Factor....usually that's what it takes to beat us! Going to go with 3-0 win.

20. Norwayhornet

I would have gone with that as well moose , its just the family day curse that worries me! 2-1 hornets