1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

**** sake. People are so stupid. Thoughts with those innocent people who are injured.

2. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

No, I've read now that the man who died is the one who'd collapsed and has sadly passed away. Hope there aren't any more fatalities or serious injuries :(

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I've just read comments on the attack on the Britain First page on Facebook.

Am now seriously considering emigrating.

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Tbf if it's the page that I'm thinking of, it might as wel be called The uneducated, racist scum of Brtain page. Not really a fair representation of the average Brit (I should hope!)

5. Le Tissier's Laces

Interesting though - if MI5 keep a watchlist of those in the Muslim communities with a propensity towards violence, then they really should do the same on that page..."call to arms" stuff etc.

Saint Helen and VocalMinority like this.
  6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Absolutely, any idiot that talks about/threatens violence, regardless of whether they intend to carry it out or are just mouthing off, should be monitored. So easily done too because these idiots think they're invincible online.

7. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I balance complete rubbish like that written by those idiots with seeing a few thousand people at Saturday local Get-Together. Everyone I heard chatting (as I handed out cakes :)) talking sensibly about race, religion and colour and welcoming the Syrian families who have been relocated in the area with open arms. There are always going to be aggressive, mouthy idiots who think that their way is the only way but I really do think that there's a sea change happening of ordinary people willing to stand up for what's right.

I hope that I'm not just being stupidly naive...

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Had a lovely holiday....apart from the heat. Too much for me.....had to forego trip to Florence on Friday as I couldn't face another city at over 35 deg(and had been twice before). Took train to Pistoia....worked like a dream. Didn't stay long because the market covered everything....great if you want something, but ruined the look of what must be a lovely square with a striped church and basilica. Pistoia on main Florence-Lucca line, so a good base for travelling (if you don't have own transport). Montecatini (where I stayed) is 15 mins away by train and worth seeing....especially if you take funicular to Montecatini Alto.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Thanks Fran - that square I believe is going to be the location of the gig I'm going to so useful to know! I don't intend to do much travelling about as am staying in a converted monastery 2.5 miles out from Pistoia.

Mind you, if I get sunburn then perhaps some day trips will be on the cards!

10. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

The terrorist attack last night was reported differently. I wonder why?

11. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

in a separate development, Panorama has discovered that firefighters put out the first fire at Grenfell Tower.
    They were called to a fridge fire, and within minutes told residents the fire was out in the flat.
    The crew was leaving the building when firefighters outside spotted flames rising up the side of the building.

12. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

It is quite a heavy handed piece of journalism but what I find interesting is that I have several colleagues at work who are landlords having bought property as an investment and have leased it out. I know of at least three people from my immediate working connections and no doubt there are more. I don't think it is a good way to invest because there are so many risks to the landlord even if a letting agent is employed. Basically, it is exploiting other people in my opinion.

The issue of budget is not that clear cut. You could spend a fortune upgrading a building and the resultant work could simply be cosmetic. I would hope that my own professional body will take a lead in the aftermath of the inquest and I would like to see an audit of all high rise property to establish which buildings are and which are not fir for purpose. This could also be extended to housing stock. The idea that sprinklers are some sort of panacea over-looks the fact that there are issues with things such as water process and access yet I think that it should be made legal that every building has two means of access and egress as a starter. This is pretty fundamental. Any flats that cannot be adequately evacuated in event of fire should be closed down and the occupants rehoused. It is not acceptable for people to live in high rise property that is compliant with Building Regs that are 40 years out of date. If sufficient people get involved in political action, this will be impossible to counter and the people will get their way. I strongly disagree that the tragedy should be politicised but it should facilitate a change to prevent the continued use of antiquated high rise accommodation and maybe steer investment in to better quality housing.

The likes of Rees-Mogg should actually be targeted by activists and by concentrating on such ridiculous political figures as this will do a lot of damage to the image of the Conservatives who will find his attitude difficult to defend. I feel that he is an odious cretin and has got away with his poisonous views for toolong with out any real challenge. Much was made of the weakness of Dianne Abbott during the election and her stumbling performance was hard to vindicate but if Labour put the boot in to Rees-Mogg and highlighted his wealth and privilege it would be a huge embarrassment.

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You're right about Jacob Rees-Mogg, who is MP for the neighbouring constituency to mine. A more odious son of privilege it is hard to imagine. Diane Abbott, however, it should be pointed out, suffers from Type II diabetes, and on the occasions when she stumbled in interviews during the election campaign, her blood sugar levels were low as a result of getting insufficient food. Despite this, she still got just about more votes than any other candidate in the country, over 42,000.

In fairness, it should also be remembered that Theresa May has diabetes, the Type I insulin-dependent kind, which may partly explain her lack of dynamism during the election.

14. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

16. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

18. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Heading on out to Glastonbury. Be good all. Hoping we have a new manager at the helm by the time I get back to civilisation.

19. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Stonehenge last night:
    20170620_225459.jpg
    ...and this morning:
    20170621_045913.jpg

20. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

And here's what we were all there for! Happy Summer Solstice!
    20170621_051103.jpg