1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

Congrats Chilcs!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip <ok>

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Not the first time. Neither, sadly the last time I have thought this. Just probably more at the forefront of my mind as I am trying to lose that final ½ stone before I go on a beach holiday to celebrate my 20 year anniversary. I am actually force starving myself. Just got to me watching the ITV news to actually thing WTF am I doing when so many have so little. I'm hungry tonight, but seeing that reminds me I'm not. I really am not. Don't know why, but it really got to me tonight. I actually feel guilty for 'dieting' in the name of vanity. It's totally ridiculous if you think it through. Fate and pure luck has got me where I live, and thankfully to the abundance of food that we do really take for granted.

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I know exactly what you mean no7, and guilt is the first emotion anyone is bound to feel, once you've gone through grief and anger. But it's not as simple as "there's enough food to go round" which I'm sure you know. The main problem worldwide is farmers being forced to grow cash crops by their governments or local warlords or whoever, rather than grow food for their own communities. Throw in climate change, which is turning huge fertile regions around the world into deserts, denuding of the rainforests by just about everybody for short term economic gain, pollution of the oceans and stripping of fish stocks (more economic greed) and a thousand other things and it all adds up to a global nightmare. But it isn't irreversible for humanity, and there are things we can all do to help the 3rd world problem in a small way. For a start, refuse to buy ANY foodstuffs imported from the 3rd world that don't have a Fair Trade emblem on the packet. Over time, if everyone did that, things will change. As for the other stuff, too much to talk about tonight but none of it has to be permanent.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Appreciate your predicament. It's mine too, in my own way. And it is utterly, utterly ridiculous. The world wastes millions of tonnes of food each year before it even gets to the plate. Then, when it does get there, we throw multiple tonnes of it away in uneaten platefuls, never thinking to actually cook less or buy less or making what we do buy stretch out so that we don't make balloons of ourselves. And you have people in Somalia, and other peoples from famine countries down through the years, who spend their days searching the ground for spilt plant seeds or roots in arid areas, just trying to find enough food to fill their bellies for one day or one meal.

Actually mate, you've made me angry tonight over this. But don't feel bad about it. Feel good because you done me a favour. I've been slowly turning my face in the opposite direction and I have needed reminding of this ridiculous state of affairs. Cheers. Have a read of this below. One fact - the World wastes 1.3 BILLION tonnes of food each year - one third of what is actually produced. A whole third.! Utterly disgraceful.

http://www.fao.org/save-food/resources/keyfindings/en/

5. thereisonlyoneno7

It's worth quoting both of you because it really is so important. Today I went through my fridge and freezer and ruthlessly chucked out food that was 'out of date'. It is ridiculous really. I had an abundance of food and I threw it away. Maybe as you get older you start to think about these things but it really can't be right. The 1st world force starve themselves on purpose, whilst the 3rd world just starve. It has nothing to do with politics or religious beliefs, but really a realisation that we are all from the same planet and humans. It won't change in our lifetimes, but still doesn't make it right.

Anyway, on a brighter note, I'm sure our kids and grandkids will sort it out for us :)

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Well done Gramps!

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  7. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Just seen a shot of a marina in southampton on BBC news. Looked beautiful. Flat water and clear blue skies.

:emoticon-0132-envy:

8. thereisonlyoneno7

Lovely here in Poole too. May sit on the decking with a nice coffee before I start work :)

9. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Blodfrysing her i Norge!

10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

11. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Oh, no, not another one! :(

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Sunny on Oyl o' Wight too. :)

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Back home after 2 days in intensive care, but has cancelled some tour dates.

14. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to a night out in Swansea Grand theatre tonight to listen to Talon - an Eagles tribute band. Going with friends who have seen them multiple times and totally rave about them so fingers crossed...

15. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Snø her nå!

davecg69 likes this.
  16. Saint Helen

Oer yma ond dim eira.

17. Saint Helen

How much of the spoken language can you understand, Chilcs? I read that easily (and got it right!) but wonder how easy a language it is. I knew I should have watched those Scandi-noir TV shows...

18. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Jag talar lite Svenska, sa jag kan versta lite Norsk. (And I don't have a Scandinavian keyboard, hence the lack of proper spelling - apologies!)

I love Scandinavia. Am planning (when my personal life finally sorts itself out) a road trip through Denmark to Sweden and Norway (and Finland if I'm really adventurous). Wonderful part of the world and lovely people too.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

It really is beautiful down here today. Shame I'm heading to the smoke in a couple of hours where it's supposed to rain!

20. thereisonlyoneno7

Ah but raining Gabbiadini goals is a nice kind of rain :)

Saint Helen and Libby like this.