1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Known to police, but it seems just because he was a nasty ****. Never shown any signs of extremism or religious zealotry....

....so maybe he was just a nasty ****, wanting to go out with a bang.

2. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Also worth noting this one was a 52-year-old dad of three... a bit different to the age bracket of a lot of recent attackers, who tend to be quite a bit younger.

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

As a terrorist expert just said on TV, they tend to be losers and outcasts who can be controlled as they seek a meaning to their lives. The age is the surprise....I wonder what has changed in his life to make him feel suicidal. Usually at his age, they are convincing some poor kid to do it. Apparently he was an English teacher, but perhaps not recently as he has a criminal record.

4. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Born in Kent and raised in the UK pre-EU membership and before higher levels of diversity. He also worked as a school teacher and took an interest in body building.

Wonder what his motive for this was, bar the obvious letting it get into his head and being a mentalist?

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Sky have just interviewed one of the first men there. He was there on a PR event when he saw the policeman being attacked by a man holding two large knives. He leapt a fence to go to his aid and arrived just as Mahood went towards another policeman who shot him. He applied first aid and was joined quickly by the MP who tried to give CPR. He said anyone would have done the same...perhaps some would, but not many. Well done, mate.

They do ask stupid questions. It was suggested to him that Palmer's family would be pleased to know that everything was done that could be done. His reply: ''They'd have been more pleased if we could have saved him''. He said he was alright, but I think shock will soon set in.

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I happened to be in a car going down Hagley Road when the raid kicked off last night. I'd never seen so many armed police officers and full-body armour armed with sub machine guns. There were dozens, and lots of vans, flashing lights all over the place. It was like something out of the Hunger Games.

7. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

What a good post this is,it also surprises me how often people quote things from sources they claim to despise which firstly,suggests they read them ( or search out that info) and secondly,helps to spread the very info/news they are so against.

davecg69 and Whiteley Saint like this.
  8. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I look at 3 papers regularly, so I am not sure what it says about me. The Mail, The Times and the Sun. Each one I look for a different thing. The Sun is a quick read, the Times I digest and the Mail I dip in and out of. Of course if Saints win, then I read every paper, but only the sports section :)

I probably am a bit unusual, but I also once went to HMV and bought a Kylie CD, Pink Floyd CD, Bon Jovi CD and a Louis Armstrong CD at the same time

9. Velcro Roy

You probably have to buy three papers to read anything about a Saints win mate.<laugh>

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I stopped buying national newspapers years ago, wih the exception of needing a soak base for the bunnies tray :)

davecg69 and SaintinSerbia like this.

11. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

You don't need to read a paper these days to know what they write. Social media advertises the awful headlines and crap written in them. I avoid all news papers as there is rarely a balanced article.

So the assumption, that people read papers they don't like it is not true when you have "friends" who share articles.

The sad thing is, there is a link to people on my fb that share Britain first and daily mail. ****, statistics are horrible.

12. Velcro Roy

Ah! The Portsmouth news.<laugh>

davecg69, fatletiss and SaintinSerbia like this.
  13. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I'm 57 and don't think I've ever bought a newspaper! Always reminded me of grandparents with slippers on, a slug of whiskey and a pipe or a cigar.News was always on the tele at 6 o'clock. My grandad always did the football pools, reading the newspaper sports pages, fag ash burning his cardigan, trying to pick out 8 draws. He was as successful as his grandson! Been away from the UK for 12 years now and all my news is from the internet. An interesting spectrum from you guys, but from facebook I just block anyone who I don't agree with. Apparently all UK papers are right wing and all US papers are left wing - how did that happen? Not sure it's possible to get any REAL news apart from not606 Southampton forum?

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I buy the i daily, then the Graun on a Friday for the music section.

15. SaintinSerbia

nope! all excellent in their own genres! good music is good music!

thereisonlyoneno7 and davecg69 like this.
  16. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong in a varied musical taste, no7. If you looked at my cd/lp collection, you'd find Sibelius next to Slade and Van Der Graaf Generator next to Robbie Williams. Hard rock through to country and western.
    Same with papers I reckon - except I don't bother anymore, except for the occasional cryptic crossword. The rest I get from social media and great posts on here

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  17. SaintinSerbia

ROBBIE WILLIAMS!!!!!

18. - Doing The Lambert Walk

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

That Louis Armstrong CD absolves you. Of everything.

davecg69 and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Live in Paris 1957...absolute gold

davecg69, fatletiss and Archers Road like this.