1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Another fine piece of detective work by the internet.

2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

...and yet people still believe everything which is written on it.

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

4. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Are you on a wind up? A man who has done more for peace on the island than almost anyone else!Had the grace and dignity to shake the queens hand a number of years ago despite watching her forces kill 14 innocent people in his own city who's only crime was to be out marching for civil rights. The papers I agree have been disgusting. Making it seem like he is still a leader of the IRA and forgetting the work he has done for peace in the last 30 years. I don't expect you to have a clue what life in somewhere like the bogside with a foreign army treating your people as subhuman.I do agree it may be tough for the families alright.Same thing could be said of any British PM when they are eulogised in death for their part in wars.Thankfully in Ireland I'd imagine and by a lot of people in Britain he will be remembered by the peace he has achieved for his country and not because he fought in a war

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

A nice change of pace. <yikes>

Qwerty likes this.
  6. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0127-lipss

7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

The Prime Minister has just addressed the nation.

8. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I don't read it. Nothing would make me pay a penny for that disgusting rag. I would never give a single groat to its despicable owners who have a long history of consistent racism back to "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" in the 30's.

upload_2017-3-22_21-23-3.png

Vin

9. HarryTipper

HarryTipper Well-Known Member

I apologise. Coward was too strong and was very much a reactionary statement.

thebronze14 likes this.
  10. - Doing The Lambert Walk

PC Keith Palmer named by the police force as the officer who gave his life while in service at Parliament today.

He was 48 years old, had been in the force since the age of 33 - a dad and a husband also.

11. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Very sad. RIP to a brave man and sympathies to his family

12. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

You have your views, I have mine. I've spoken to guys who were there when those 14 innocent people were shot and they said they came under fire .....
    But to deliberately place bombs to kill and maim innocent women and children and never apologise takes a special kind of cold blooded killer.
    I shall say no more - we have different views.

13. thebronze14

thebronze14 Well-Known Member

Apology accepted...We have obviously grew up in very different places and have differing viewpoints so I think we'd both be banging our heads off the wall if we went into it too much tbh

HarryTipper likes this.
  14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

You realise you are talking about a murderer and a terrorist right?

He is responsible for the death of many and the maiming of many more, please forgive me for not being overly sad at the news of his passing. Despite him striving for peace in later years (possibly to save his own skin) he is nonetheless a disgusting human being.

15. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Brings it home to me. I may think I am in my 20s, but I am 48 and a dad and a granddad. It's too young to die, especially just doing his job. I have been known to knock the police force, but no one should die just doing their job. Every day, every policeman/woman do expose themselves to this kind of thing. I think before I carte blanche knock the police force next time, I'll step back and think that I'm 99.99% sure that my work won't leave my daughter without a dad and my other half without a partner.

Soldiers, Police are all heroes really. They do something that I never could do.

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Sorry I went off on one yesterday....it was because of the terrible events and I was surprised that something that should bring people together had instead resulted in divisions.

Wanted to add a personal experience as I got caught up in an IRA attack in London a long time ago. I was about to enter the Underground when police appeared. The bomb didn't go off, but I remember the police yelling, Go, go, go....just as we saw in videos yesterday. The strange thing is that I don't remember being scared...it was just automatic to run. Sometimes second bombs were set to catch people fleeing, but luckily that didn't occur to me at the time.

A second memory was my recent visit to the Houses of Parliament. I was offended by the sight of huge bollards along the street....though fully appreciating the necessity. I just thought it was awful to see the need in our free society. In the long queue for the security search, there were armed police, but there were also nice old-fashioned bobbies.....being helpful and keeping our spirits up during the wait. Who knows....perhaps Keith Palmer was one of them. I remember feeling proud that this queue of mixed nationalities were free to enter this wonderful building and be treated with civility (more perhaps than you would get in some countries). I hope that this will go on unchanged....increased security but we mustn't lose who we are.

Thoughts are with those affected....either directly or by being affected by such events.

Libby, davecg69, ChilcoSaint and 3 others like this.
  17. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

No need to apologise Fran.
    People will always respond in different ways, and, if I am honest, nothing really surprises me anymore, with regards to the atrocities being carried out and to the individual responses to them.
    Someone yesterday became upset at the Mail mentioning that the attack was carried out by an Asian.
    In light of recent years, my initial thought was "Muslim", simply because the majority of these types of attack are, unless I am mistaken, found to have been committed by Muslims, or in the name of Allah. That doesn't make me anti Muslim, or racist. It just means that recent events have shaped my way of thinking that way. Just as years ago, a bomb going off in England, would have most of us thinking "Irish". Again not racist, just a natural response to what is happening in current affairs.
    With reference to the IRA, one of my sisters and one of my brothers, could easily have been caught up in the pub bombings at Guildford, in 1974. My brother was visiting my sister, who was living in Epsom at the time, and the plan was to go to Guildford that evening, for a few drinks, which may well have put them in one of those bars. Fortunately they changed their plans and stayed in Epsom for the evening.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/guildford-pub-bombings---terrorism-7878429

18. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I used to teach James Barker who was 12 when he was killed in the Omagh bombing. You couldn't meet a young kid more full of life. He was a cheeky little bugger, but a pleasure to be around. Still think about him a lot whenever something like this happens.

19. fran-MLs little camera

I am a Mail reader (there I've said it :)) and I took comments personally when they weren't, so sorry once again. My first reaction to the attack yesterday was that it was probably perpetrated by a Muslim....which is just common sense....but my second thought was a hope that there would be no retaliation against British Muslims. Not in my name in other words...so I don't consider my thoughts racist, just realistic.

A commentator on TV said it was the first attack on the government.....I thought you've got a short memory. Airey Neeve's murder, the Brighton hotel bombing, not to mention the rocket attack on number ten (the reason there are gates in Downing Street).

20. fran-MLs little camera

I feel for all the injured, but I always feel especially sorry for visitors to our country....several injured were foreigners, including some French schoolchildren. I almost feel (unreasonably) that we have let them down.