1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Indeed. And actually a referee only has one linesman effectively

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Actually that's a very good point. Why not have two linesmen on each side? There's a simple way of improving the chances of getting offside decisions correct, especially now they are all talking to each other about the important moments.

3. TheSecondStain

I'm quite happy to have those two extra officials in a media booth overlooking the entire match, with direct contact to the referee. These things will eventually happen anyway. I don't know why people put up a resistance [I know you're not]. As you said yourself earlier, people resisted goal-line technology. Fears proved to be utterly unfounded on that. These systems will be tested, tested and tested, and make the game fairer. Probably more exciting too, I expect.

fatletiss and ChilcoSaint like this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Goal line technology has no effect on play...no one could argue with that. Big difference from anything that interrupts play. Perhaps we should leave it in the hands of the referee and then he can check anything he is unsure of, but only if he asks. There will be some incidents that are perfectly clear, but there will be others that are still unclear as they will be down to interpretation as they are now.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

TSS you keep saying you don't know why people are putting up a resistance, yet you're not addressing any of the issues people are raising.

Goal line technology is completely different, as I've already explained.

Archers Road likes this.
  6. TheSecondStain

I'm really not interested in people's issues on this. They all amount to people being afraid of change for the better. Now if they were objecting to stupid things like 'sin bins' I'd make supporting comments.

7. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

You're right, that would be the only workable way really. It's going to take a while to sort all this out.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

<laugh>

You're ****ing unbelievable mate, some of us are trying to raise valid reasons why we think it could be a problem and instead of a decent response we get 'afraid of change' <doh>

Maybe, just maybe, we have a point? But you don't want to hear that or debate it and give sweeping comments instead.

Patronising twat.

9. TheSecondStain

Must I be concerned.? Is there a law stating that I have to be concerned.?

BTW, don't start with the name calling please. Keep it civil.

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Hey... isn't that me? :)

davecg69 likes this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Not sure I ever called you a twat <laugh>

:bandit:

12. TheSecondStain

Btw, the nice bloke you called twat recommends you try Cricfree for the boxing.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Already tried but thanks <ok>

14. TheSecondStain

15. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

This thread has become really very boring. All hot air. Do you lot think that anybody is taking the least bit of notice of what you are saying. FFS do something with a more productive outcome.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Glad you've carried on the trend Godders :biggrin:

St. Luigi Scrosoppi likes this.
  17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I disagree. It's not change for the better people are resistent to - it's change for the sake of it. We've all seen plenty of examples of analysis to paralysis, where an incident is viewed 57 times from a dozen different camera angles, and still observers can't agree on what really happened.

You may be right that change is inevitable simply because we have the technology to implement it. Whether the game and it's participants will benefit is another matter, & is at the very least open to question.

Libby likes this.
  18. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

You don't have to wait long for examples for technology. There was a penalty awarded yesterday to Burnley for a handball, but it was a Burnley player which actually handled it.
    Something easily resolved on review and stops the ref looking like a twat(insult of choice)

Football has rightly been cautious about the introduction of technology, but I don't think the current Human only aspect is satisfactory

fatletiss likes this.
  19. fatletiss

There is a an area between black and white that can be explored which may reduce the number of bad decisions and this is what I champion. If we had the extra chap watching and communicating with the on field referee, it could help reduce these. I'm not talking about stopping and reviewing. I'm not talking about dozens of re-runs, but just a quick review nobody knows is happening accept the referee.

Easy example: Swansea v Burnley yesterday. Referee awards a penalty to Burnley. Clearly the referee made a mistake and some people saw this first time in normal time and within 5 seconds it was clear on first replay that it was a Burnley hand. With a man in a room talking to the referee, he can be told very quickly that he got that wrong and it's a free kick to Swansea not a penalty the other way. Came carries on. No harm, no damage. Correct decision made.

This becomes continuous improvement, not major change or interruption and the result would be more correct decisions made, which hopefully is what everyone wants.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. fatletiss

I should have read that first!!

saintlyhero likes this.