1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It won't be our only chance of glory for 14 years. The club is run completely differently from how it was in 2003, and since 2009 we have been getting closer and closer to the top. We will have the odd fallow season like this one, but I am confident we will be back at Wembley in the next few years, not to mention getting to the knockout stages of Europa. Every player there yesterday in a white shirt would have been knocked out by how much noise the Saints fans made, and most of them will be desperate to win us something, just like they did a few years back in 2010. Support like we showed yesterday must mean a lot.

I'm sorry you're taking it so hard, I can only commiserate. I am obviously disappointed but my overwhelming emotion, 24 hours on, is still massive pride in my team.

2. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

I did say 'might'.

Seems like I've been around this 'good times around the corner' a few times in my life with Saints though.

Hong Kong Saint likes this.
  3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One thing I meant to say is how disgusting the behaviour of the Man United players was in trying to get Stephens and Romeu sent off. Pricks.

RSS, Dell Boy and Saints Fan4Life like this.
  4. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Were both Romeu's and Stephens' fouls on Herrera? He's a bit theatrical isn't he?

EDIT; I've just seen that Stephens' was on Martial. They're both theatrical then seeing as in both cases it was the trailing leg that caught them and not a boot.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

No, but he made sure to be first on the scene and in the refs face.

Shame he's such a twat as he's a great player.

RSS likes this.
  6. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Maya absolutely right....we cannot afford to wallow...an important game v Watford this weekend if we want to finish as high as we can. Due to the ManU game being moved, we have a wait until the next match. The final is over, move on.

7. MelbourneSaint

MelbourneSaint Active Member

Sat in the lounge, awaiting to board my plane back to Oz at 8pm.
    24 hours on and still can't fathom out how we didn't win.
    However, expect to be back again in the next couple of years for our next final!!
    Thanks to all of the saints fans for great weekend.

Cheers

MS

8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I thought he was constant menace only in theory to be honest, he posed such a threat on paper but it was neutralised for the vast majority of the match. He presented such a mismatch but barely took advantage of it, he didn't win more than 2 or 3 headers and he gave the ball away several times. His two goals were huge in stature but pretty average in reality, yeah a goal from a free kick is fairly impressive by nature, but it was in an area where keepers will be expected to save it 99% of the time if there was no deflection or vicious movement. Perhaps they'd been doing their homework on Fraser's immobility and Joey ****ing Barton catching him out moving early and so it was deliberately 'safe', but I'm not sure. His second goal, regrettably, couldn't have been more simple as neither of our CBs had gotten back, and he still put it within reach of Forster from a free header 6 yards out. Goals are goals, so he played well, but I can't help rolling my eyes when I see people saying stuff like 'Well you can't help it when a world class player performs at his best'. Get off it! I don't much like Ibrahimovic, but I've seen some truly world class performances from him over the years, that wasn't close to one.

garysfc likes this.
  9. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

He has lots of energy, often topping the game stats for ground covered. If he gets a rep for whipping crosses in then the FB will have to stay close to him, he can take the FB out of position and make the FB cover more ground and slow him down that way and leave space for Cedric on the over lap

10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Supporters might be interested to know that perfectly good goals, that are ruled out due to officials getting their snap decisions wrong, may be thing of the past fairly soon as testing of video assistant referees (for game changing decisions) will be getting underway before the 2017-18 season, according to the International Football Associations Board (IFAB).

And it would not surprise in the slightest if St Mary's was the first place they tried it for real.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Saints Fan4Life and ChilcoSaint like this.

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0159-music Wrong side of the equator, you're on the wrong side of the equator, wrong side of the equaaaaaaaaatttttttooooorrrr, you're on the wrong side of the equator :emoticon-0159-music

:p

Fantastic effort to get to Wembley, safe journey home. <ok>

12. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

There was a big fan watching from very far away :)

NorfolkSaint, RSS, Sam777 and 4 others like this.
  13. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Someone took a picture of Stuart Burt yesterday .......explains a lot <laugh>
    image.jpeg

14. oldstocktonsaint

oldstocktonsaint Well-Known Member

Sometimes a player's reputation puts pressure on opponents without him actually being brilliant. As a spectator I was more worried when he got the ball more than any other Manure player. Couldn't believe how poor their defence was.

15. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Just had Carragher talking on MNF about Ibra, saying he was the most effective player on the pitch and carried Utd. Had the least touchest of any player on the pitch who played the full 90 and had the biggest impact

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

I thought Ibra looked a lot better live than when you watch him on tv personally.

Incredible professional too, to the play the amount of games he has and score the goals at his age is incredible really.

17. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Good one Richie,first genuine lol for a very long time.

18. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Likewise, but most of the time my worries were unfounded. Just a shame he scored the two goals. <laugh>

19. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Here's the ticket:[/QUOTE]
    At the risk of being a pedant, he`s 6`7". I think he should`ve saved it from that range too.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

I think he should`ve saved it from that range too.[/QUOTE]

That was my initial reaction too. Both that and the wall wasn't great. Will have a proper look later in the week.