1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Saint

Saint Active Member

To add my two cents:

As far as the performance goes, I don't need to say anything, to come back from 2 down against one of the best teams in the land and genuinely look like winning it is a credit to everyone in white yesterday, not to mention the manager who got it bang on. At the end of the day, the team gave it their everything and we got to celebrate 2 (3) goals, I can't complain about that.

But as someone who is often critical about our atmosphere, my absolute standout performance of the day was us fans, I can honestly say I have never experienced atmosphere like it. We were a credit to ourselves all day long and as a group of supporters deserved more. The noise that was created from our end of the stadium was outstanding throughout. The Gabbiadini chant - chills just thinking about it. Not to mention the incredible tribute to Markus.

So actually, honestly, well done us.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I get all that, and as you know I have been one of the loudest supporters of this theory all season. Just my patience was beginning to slightly fade....then we got Manolo.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

People who say "I told you so" when apparently vindicated bycircumstances are really annoying.

But sod it. Despite a sometimes difficult season so far, I have never been tempted to put the blame on Puel. And having been sorely frustrated by all the expert fans convinced they knew better than him, I say "watch and learn. This guy knows what he's doing".

4. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

... it was clear, it was real, it WAS going to happen. I have never felt so certain of anything in my life. Manolo Gabbiadini scissor-kicked in an 89th winner from a Cedric cross. Saints won the League Cup. Much rejoicing ensued.

A calmness came over me, the like of which I had rarely encountered before. Time seemed to stand still. The crowd became a blur of noise & colours.... Everything WAS going to be alright....

Then the manager substituted Manolo Gabbiadini.

He took off the bloke who scored twice (well, three times) and was going to score the winner.

He took him off the pitch.

He was no longer on the pitch.

The player that was scaring the **** out of the United defence was not longer able to do so.

He was no longer going to score the winner. Saints were no longer going to win the Cup.

What followed was inevitable. It almost cushioned the sickening feeling when United scored and the final whistle blew. I didn't feel pride afterwards, I felt bitterly disappointed and a bit angry. Never will that substitution make any sense to me. Do you think for a nano-second that Mourinho had thoughts of taking off Zlatan? No, because he's a winner, a player who does things when you need him to. I believe we had that kind of player yesterday playing for us.

Don't give me "Manolo was tired" crap. If the ball fell in the box, he was the only one in our team I wanted anywhere near it. Long should have been bought on to play alongside him for last 15 or so. Let Long stretch the United defence and Manolo could react as he did so 3 times already. But no, Puel did a like for like substitution because that's all he ever does.

So, we lost and it feels horrible. I'm not going to look back at this game with pride, but with regret & annoyance. Yes, we were done out of a legit goal, Yes, a couple of senior players made mistakes for United's goals, Yes the lads played their hearts out, Yes the fans were superb.... but we lost.

5. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I heard the chant, something like;

Les reed went to Italy,
    To buy a Lamborghini,
    He came back with a striker,
    Who's name is gabbiadini!

Libby, Archers Road and Osvaldorama like this.
  6. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

I will say that two players I have had big doubts about this season, Redmond & JWP did win me over. They were excellent.

Manolo is a brilliant signing. Well done Les for this gem.

Forster, nah. I thought my eyes deceived me with the freekick. Stood at the game, I swear the ball went over a yard inside the post. Sadly when watching it back this morning on TV, my eyes were right and Fraser's position & reaction was terrible. He's not up to the job.

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Knew you'd be back as soon as we lost a game.

You're like the Phantom of the Opera, CBK, Lurking behind the curtains waiting for anything remotely negative to latch on to so you can take centre stage.

8. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Not looking forward to the gloating I will get this week from Manchester United fans that are a fan because their dads friends cats owners second cousin twice removed once drove outside of Salford. They are not fans. Afternoon yesterday I know what real fans are, and Manchester United do not have many of them.

MountwaySaint likes this.
  9. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

Oh hi babe, Please let me have the forum rules for when I am allowed to comment or not comment?

Velcro Roy and garysfc like this.
  10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Gabbiadini is a real handful....his second goal shows he can turn on a sixpence when defenders think they have got him. Remember his second goal against Sunderland....having his back to goal is no deterrent. What an asset he is going to be....he is our missing link that Puel has needed all season. Let's hope no other PL side has noticed him (fat chance)....we struck gold, especially as we got him for less than other teams had offered (but they got turned down). Liverpool fans are already joking about buying him....please can we keep him, Les.

P.s. Praise for Manolo, does not imply lack of praise for his team mates. They were all effing brilliant.

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Well I think we know your glass is half empty. There were so many positives. Sometimes you don't get the luck.
    I don't massively agree with the decision to take Gabbiadini off either, but to look back with 'regret and annoyance' instead of pride is hysterical nonsense IMO. We were fantastic all over the pitch, and he took a gamble on Long which didn't pay off. It didn't cost us the game though, that's ludicrous.

12. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

United have some dickheads, but then so do Saints, so do every club. We can't slag off United fans for being "plastic" or whatever seeing how our crowds were down to 20,000 a few years ago. So, probably at least 10,000 fans who were there yesterday either didn't go watch Saints back then, or have started watching us since we got into the Prem.

13. saintsfcfan

I actually thought Long did well when he came on. Instantly looked a threat and had the ref not been threatened at gun point by Manchester United before the game then he may have givem us a penalty when Long had his legs swept away from underneath him just as he was about to score.

14. Osvaldorama

Yeah he is different gravy. It's not just his finishing, but his all around hold up play. He is smaller than graziano, but he holds it up so much better, he always seems to find a team mate with his flicks and one-touches.
    I'd imagine FLT was drooling at his performance yesterday!

15. saintsfcfan

I'm not saying that we don't. I'm saying that yesterday there was only one set of fans supporting their team. I was talking to a United fan who didn't go yesterday and he said that they were probably quiet because they weren't used to not winning. I'm sorry but that is **** support of that's your genuine reason. At 2-1 down we made more noise. You support your team, especially in a cup final.

MountwaySaint likes this.
  16. CBK

CBK Well-Known Member

I was very happy with our performance, the players did give their all (maybe not Forster, but I think he has self confidence issues). I have no doubt that we "left it all on the pitch" and gave it our best shot. I was simply pointing out how the fine margins in football can turn on a single decision, or an underlying mindset.

Yes, it probably wouldn't have made any difference, the luck wasn't with us, but then luck is something that people who don't win, go on about the most.

SotonOldBoy likes this.
  17. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Well now. There are a few interesting points that make it out of this fiasco. In the first instance I was obviously reluctant to part with that kind of cash to a reseller. Indeed I did not straight away. Instead, I contacted Wembley and was called back by their sales team. They said straight away that I could get access to the final but that it was a wee bit more involved than simply making a one off purchase. I would actually have to buy a half season membership to Club Wembley at a cost of £1030. This would include EFL, both FA Cup Semis, FA Cup Final, the odd England International and some other fluff. When I stated that I lived in Glasgow and would be unable to attend anything except the EFL, the guy went on to explain the reseller market and suggested that I would probably end up making money. What is clear is that Wembley are entirely aware of this practice from their members and even use the reseller market as a benefit to prospective members.

After paying the reseller, in this instance www.hotfootballtickets.com I was concerned about delivery. They had explained that receipt of tickets (and therefore postage out) was often last minute but as I was travelling from Glasgow, this would be no good for me. They then arranged to deliver it to my hotel instead. Then, out of the blue, they email me an eticket which I foolishly thought solved all of the problems. By this point, I had been dealing with them by phone and email for a week or so and, due to their professionalism, I suppose my guard was down as I allowed this to replace delivery of a physical ticket. So, maybe this is a ploy, who knows. The fact is that I had a legitimate Club Wembley transfer from a guy called Roy Ettlinger but when I went to use it, nothing but red lights and a manager explaining that someone had already used it and that there had been a total of six attempts to get in using the same barcode.

I'll certainly be taking it further but I haven't let it wind me up as it is such an emotive matter that I feel a coronary may be induced if I do!

Here's the ticket:

Attached Files:

18. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I like it. To the tune of?

19. Osvaldorama

I just can't believe with all things considered - their expensive squad, their manager, out injuries... You can look at it in such a negative manner. It was always a big ask to get anything from the game, even if VVD was fit. We were literally a terrible Lino call away from taking it to extra time, against a manager who never loses finals, with the most expensive player in the world playing.

And we murdered them. Murdered. Them. If we re-played that game 10 times, saints would win it 9 out of the 10. It's rare to speak to away fans that say that didn't deserve anything, but all the united fans I spoke to on the way out agreed that we should have won.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Hotbovril, you should report it to the police....it is fraud. It may well be part of a larger crime that they are already investigating.