1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United vs Southampton EFL CUP Final Sunday 26/02/2017 Kick-Off 4:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I've not had a moment all season where I didn't think Puel was doing well enough. He simply didn't have the firepower at his disposal, so he had to adjust the team so that they had a better chance of winning. He rotated the squad, not because he didn't know what worked, but because he wanted to expose everyone to games. That so-called tinkering [I hate that description - he's the ****ing manager, he can do what he wants] became more so when he lost Charlie Austin. Clearly, Rodriguez isn't on the same wavelength as the rest of the team for much of a match. Shane Long is, but has never been a prolific main striker, more of a support or impact. Even so, Saints have often been the superior side in games, yet haven't been able to score enough. Consequently, I've thought that Puel has played the cards he's been dealt pretty well, and since the end of January he's acquired a new Ace. Hence now we see a settled side. Don't expect that 11 to open every match. Happily, there's too much competition, and when all the long term injured players like VVD, Charlie, Florin and Matty come back, there will be even more.

Le Saint likes this.
  2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Can't sleep, still buzzing. Utterly gutted, football breaks your bloody heart. But god, I love the Saints - the fans, the club, the players (for just as long as they are our players), and especially, today, Gabbi - A - ****ing - Dini, you scruffy little Italian beauty. No doubt everyone in the press will be raving about Zlatan tomorrow - & the guy is class, diving aside - but the best striker on the pitch had a white shirt on today.

Big word for Maya too btw. For rising to the challenge today but also for realising that the fans were as heartbroken as the players at the end, and being the first to come over and applaud.

RSS, NorfolkSaint and Le Saint like this.
  3. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Yoshi has become my new favourite since Fonte left. Love the guy and am proud of the way he has turned into a solid reliable defender. Only way I could have been happier for him is if VVD had been out there with him today and shut Ibra down in the 85th minute : (

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I honestly think we'd have restricted ManU to zero or one goal had VVD been playing alongside Yoshi. Jack Stephens did well but he was up against a very tall, powerful and skilful world class striker. Possibly THEE world class striker of the last decade. It would have been a very different story had Virgil been there. The best CF in the PL up against arguably the best CB in the PL. Forget about earlier in the season. Maya and Virgil were well and truly getting their act together by the time VVD became injured. I agree it may well have been a different story today.

5. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Congratulations on a great performance.

You were robbed. It is not new when Manu plays - opposition mostly gets robbed.
    Today it is your turn unfortunately.

Hope your new kid scores plenty for you & pushes you up the table <ok>

RSS, Pelletron, ChilcoSaint and 2 others like this.
  6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

He's 25!!!! Thanks Stan and good luck in your QF and let's hope for a London party in the FA Cup final. Chelsea v Millwall/Tottenham!!

StanDMan likes this.
  7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Thought I was taking it pretty well but reading back through this thread was a mistake. Gutted isn't the word. Speaks to just how good our performance was that there's so much pride on here and minimal anger when there could justifiably be so much bitterness.

So pleased with how we played and would love to expel all bitterness myself... But it had to be bloody United getting the rub of the green, and had to let their over-hyped twats get over-hyped... Football, as usual, isn't fair.

Still, even if it's been rocky going and not been as clear as it has been in previous years - progress. And in the 'Southampton Way'.

RSS, Pelletron and AshbySaint like this.
  8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I have only one complaint about yesterday and it took the edge of a wonderful day for me. We arrived back at MK station having sat with United fans all the journey, them shaking their heads in disbelief we hadn't won - these United fans were very gracious in victory, thanks chaps. However sat across from me was a Saints fan who was watching something on his device with his ear plugs in and perhaps hadn't heard the United fans sing our praises. As we got off, he looked at me, shrugged and declared. "well at least that might mean Puel is out"

What a cock. If you are on this forum and reading this, don't bother replying. You are a disgrace of a fan. My 15 year old asked me if he was for real.

Onionman, RSS, Pelletron and 9 others like this.
  9. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

My whole day was brilliant apart from getting hit by a loose beer can from some united fans thinking they were hard.

In general, the fans around me were brilliant.

Slept like crap, work will be fun today.

RSS and Archers Road like this.
  10. fatletiss

Got to Heathrow for 5:45am and now sleeping in my scrambled eggs.

Come on you Saints!!

RSS and ChilcoSaint like this.

11. fatletiss

Libby and Qwerty like this.
  12. fatletiss

In that case I take back the nice things* I said about you.... :)

* I don't think I really said anything nice

tomw24 likes this.
  13. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Unbelievable. I mean, you actually met some decent United fans. :) Seriously though, that bloke is a disgrace.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. fatletiss

@hotbovril

Just read about your plight. Sorry to hear that and it is scandalous. I'm sure you want to forget it, however I really think you should take it further.... Wembley/The FA, someone should be investigating this. I'd even be tempted to go to the media if you got no sensible response from either of those two organisations, if I was in your shoes.

The owner of that ticket should be banned for life, fined and made known publicly.

RSS likes this.
  15. fatletiss

I'd just point out that Virgil and Fonte couldn't stop Zlatan at Old Trafford earlier this season either.

16. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Just woken up with a sore throat, wonder if it was caused by singing and shouting so much yesterday... :emoticon-0127-lipss :)

RSS, ChilcoSaint and fatletiss like this.
  17. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed yesterday. We were not there by fluke we got there on merit. Hope it's the start and not the end of a bright future

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

18. Le Saint

Le Saint Well-Known Member

Me too!

19. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

I am able to confirm that following a full investigation that the lino for the cup final was NOT responsible for handing the wrong card at the Oscars giving la la land best picture in error.

ChilcoSaint, AshbySaint and fatletiss like this.
  20. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

The fact that Puel annoys these strange people makes me like him even more. If anything his press conferences are too interesting. :)

fatletiss likes this.