1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v West Brom

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Apr 1, 2017.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

53 points in 3 less games this season than last ... definite improvement .

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We all knew how he was like when he was recruited. You don't buy a Yorkshire Terrier and expect it to behave like a poodle. United sacked LVG because LVG s possession football was awful and soporific despite his winning the FA cup. There is no doubt that JM is an improvement.

I think some of us are comparing his football with Ferguson's. This is unrealistic. Despite all the money spent we haven't yet got a decent strike force to convert the chances we create (and I'm not talking about this match). And this is something that he'll try to rectify this summer. But at least he gave Rashford a chance.

glazerfodder likes this.
  3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm quoting two games I was at where we hammered the opposition and didn't win. Like you asked.

Sorry, I don't do Internet streams.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

We have hammered the opposition many times this season and didn't win because of poor finishing.
    I am at a loss to see what Treble is getting at here, we are playing decent football AND creating chances (even against packed defences), our problem is **** finishing and nothing more, Zlatan alone has missed enough to have put us in 3rd, throw in some of the other clear cut chances others have fluffed and we could be challenging Chelsea for top.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  5. Christiansmith

Having said that finishing and scoring is part of the game. You get nothing for dominating and "deserving to win". That is a huge deficiency. with Ferguson it was almost the reverse. We won games we hardly deserved because we were more clinical. JM has a point in having a go at his strikers.

Diego likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not at all. Where have I ever quoted the football we played under Fergie? It's very simple for me, there's a reason we're not scoring goals and it's largely down to the quality of our final pass, our players inability to run beyond the defence, the poor movement of our forwards in the box.

Look at the quality of the final pass by Delle Ali for Son to get on the end of, for Tottenham's second goal yesterday. We don't do that. Look at ball in for Carroll's goal and Vardy's goal AND the movement of both players to get on the end of them. We simply don't do that. Look at the way Fabregas ran beyond the Palace defence yesterday and the quality of the pass by Hazard for him to score. We simply don't do that. 3 perfect examples of three areas of quality in the final third which is effecting our ability to create chances.

Here's another thing, when was the last time we scored from a corner, and how often have we??? The lack of goals from that ALSO exemplifies how poor we are at delivering quality into the box. It's largely "hit it in there" 99% of the time aimed for Zlatan. All these things are linked, they show we have no clear approach to creating chances.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We haven't hammered anyone this season. If you said that to anyone who wasn't a United fan, they'd laugh. To dredge up marginally better performances from November against a poor West Ham side and an Arsenal side that hasn't beaten us at home in the league in like a gazillion years is nothing more than scraping the bottom of the barrel <doh> Like I said, I'm happy to hear examples where we've created lots of chances but they will be the exception rather than the norm.

Alan Shearer "Manchester United were so so wasteful in the final third" speaking while the BBC were showing a montage of our final balls during his post-match analysis. "It's been the story of their season. They've done it far too many times and it's no surprise they've drawn that many games." He wasn't talking about our finishing.

Maybe if we all hold hands and start singing "we need results" it will all come good <laugh>

8. Christiansmith

I don't think we are a million miles apart. We seem to identify the same problems but have different approaches to our criticisms.

Of course our attacking players have to do better. The assisting and the scoring are both important and both are crucial. That's why it is a shared responsibility. JM ultimately will carry the can but all the attacking players have to be more ruthless. Creating the opening as well as the clinical finishing. How many chances do Rashford lingard or martial need to convert one of them?

The point was made that in many of these draws (not yesterday's match) we were well on top in terms of chances (not possession) and SHOULD have won if we had converted only a tiny fraction of chances. If we had lost half of these draws but won the others, we would be well in the chase fir the title. Yes, JM has to take a share of responsibility but we are all agreed that we want to give him more time.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Fair comment Christian <ok> We can agree to disagree on a few things but there's a lot there I do agree with you on.

I also agree about the bit in bold. But when I pointed that out after one of the games (namely against Stoke) I was castigated for it.

10. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

<rofl>

Treble likes this.

11. Skylarker

That was before I read Treble saying 'if you said that to anyone that wasn't a Utd fan they'd laugh' <laugh>

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The funny thing is, if the situation was reversed and a Livpl fan was saying that, we'd also be laughing on here. Surprised ppl can't see it.

13. Skylarker

But there are people saying that on the Liverpool board, and to an extent they've got more right to say it than Utd fans as over the season we've been better than UTD.

Add to that Diego is the first to wum the living **** out of anyone to say anything like that on our board....

Quite a funny turn of events tbh <laugh>

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

There's a much of a muchness between the two clubs at the moment tbf. Technically a point in it if we win our games in hand. I could argue that atleast we're winning silverware. Also that period between December to the end of February for Livpl was pretty bloody awful. Where you do outperform us on, which is THE important point for me in all of this debate, is that you play well in the final third. You create chances, you move the ball forward quickly, you stretch defences, you have runners who go beyond the defence. For me, the more of that you create, the more opportunity you give for your forwards to score. It was no surprise that when Liverpool lost the players to do that from Dec to Feb, you ended up creating fewer opportunities to score and therefore you scored less. It wasn't about the finishing.

15. Skylarker

Our problems are defending. Our attack is generally very good. So we have different problems in that sense. However, it's not the players it's the managers that have very different approaches.I know which I prefer.

But we did have a massive dip in form. But as Diego says - we would be challenging for the top if that didn't happen. However you could say the same for any club!

Treble likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Mourinho may be a pragmatist, but I do think we have a manager who is capable of at least getting our players to create chances. That has little to do with football philosophy imo. He has managed it at every club he's worked at. An element of our problem IS the slow build up play at times, I won't deny that, and that makes it difficult to break down defences. But I feel the greater problem is that he hasn't identified how poor our final ball is, or that our forwards are so static which means we either don't pull or stretch defences OR get into open positions to score. I gave 3 perfect examples earlier for Tottenham, West Ham and Chelsea yesterday demonstrating what we're missing in all of those areas.

17. Skylarker

Bias aside...

Given the choice for a long term manager would you stick with Jose or let Klopp take your club forward?

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'd take Klopp all the way to the final, then can we change to Mourinho <whistle>

Honestly... Klopp <ok>

Skylarker likes this.
  19. Skylarker

Nice to see some honesty on this board.

Get ready for the outrage from your fellow fans mate <laugh>

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Oh i don't know, I think plenty would rate Klopp very highly on here and would admit to having him over Jose.

Tbh anything trying to tackle our poor form gets ignored and it all comes down to "results". Which are **** anyway, so fck knows what the point they're making <laugh> . It will probably end up with posts claiming how both clubs results are blah blah blah. So I might as well post "whoooooooooosh" now and be done with it.

Skylarker likes this.