1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Stoke City

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Wonderfully deft finish by Kolorov. Shame it's an own goal <laugh> City look rattled.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

<whistle>

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  3. theevilreddevil

theevilreddevil Well-Known Member

After almost getting relegated a few weeks ago, what a ****ing wasted opportunity we had today of getting within 3 points of City

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Mad isn't it?

A bit reminiscent of van Gaal, the top club loses so we scrape a drawn at home to the bottom of the league.

5. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

sad since I'm somehow expecting a goal from Pogba, but it's still a great game tho.

6. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

You didn't lose so Matth stays on Match Thread duty?

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Only the result but little else. On another day we could've scored a hat full. When did we feel like that when we lost to a relegation team under Van Gaal? It was just "one of those days", I felt. We keep playing like that, then in the long term the future looks good imo.

I have to say, I am a bit concerned about our defence. Generally very good but prone to a costly brainfart every now and again. I know ppl are focusing on De Gea, but it was Blind that put us in that position unnecessarily. And he did the same a couple of weeks ago for another goal.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Could you not see the jinx @Matth_2014 showered on Blind and De Gea ffs! I called it at the start of the thread, could see it a mile off. Jinxed t' ****!

9. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

You didn't lose.

The rules state he keeps his place :emoticon-0100-smile

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We have a tradition of not starting matchday threads until a day or two before the game. But that might need to change for the next game. If Matth really supports United (and not Chavbus) he will realise what's best for the club and leave well alone.

11. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Can't we start an unjinxed dipper match day thread now. Far too important a game to risk another jinx.

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Get in there before Matth that's what I say. I'd leave it to Chief, personally.

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, another player Klopp had no idea how to use, shame really.

14. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Great performance but poor result .

On another day the score would have been 3-0 or more. So let's take that silver lining. The RS may have won but they were dominated snd had a lucky dodgy pen. Arsenal performed poorly too but had a lucky handball goal given in the last few seconds. City lost.

Not a bad weekend.

Diego likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's the toughest this league has ever been. It's unrealistic to think Mourinho's going to come in, change 4/5 of the starting 11 from last season and expect us to dominate. It's all about the performances for me, and in the long-term he's taking us in the right direction. That's the difference.

Had that finished 0-0 I would have been less disappointed than drawing 1-1, simply bcos it was a piss poor goal to give away.

Diego likes this.
  16. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

This may be subjective (and wishful thinking!) but the team is steadily coming together. Rooney is no longer the mainstay of the team and seems willing to contribute despite coming on as sub. The performances are improving and Mourinho could be getting closer to finding his best team.

City always start like a steam train pulverising everyone in the first half a dozen matches and then fall off. Although Spurs are clearly title contenders and top 4 challengers, the win was good for us and the league. We do not want one team disappearing over the horizon. Other teams will now think they can get something from City. If Celtic can get a point, then anybody should be able to do it.

I am more confident with our next match against the RS and City. No doubt we can expect the same thing from the RS: lots of pressing, and running. I just hope that JM will not sit back and invite pressure. Like Swansea showed, their defence is their weakness and if our attack is on their game, I can see us taking the points. Their goals conceded is one of the worst in the top half of the league. Like last season showed, they give their desperate deluded fans hope only to let them down at the end.

luvgonzo likes this.
  17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It's going to be a cracker imo, you lot will look to get at us and we only play one way so there should be goals. Bit of a gap if you lose though.

18. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Proper 6 pointer as they say, but the incentive is there for both teams. Beat you and we could go above you, or lose and fall behind by 6 points. The question is, based on this, who is the more motivated?? We have a proper carrot and stick behind us tbh, which can work us. Liverpool will be up for the game. They'll have the incentive of extending their lead.

If we play against you like we did yesterday (barring the **** up for the goal) I'd be very happy.

United Strengths
    - Spine looks solid
    - Pace from width in Rashford and Lingard
    - Great depth with players like Martial and Rooney to come on from the bench.
    - Ibrah

United weaknesses
    - Both full-back areas (if Shaw isn't back)
    - Team still gelling
    - Occasional brainfart in defence atm

I could do Liverpool but I've only watched them 3 times this season so can't really comment.

20. Tibbers

Tibbers Active Member

Good thing Juan Mata finds their match result with Stoke City a motivation for them.