1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Making room for new players

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by DaiJones, Dec 4, 2016.

1. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

10 players in the under23 squad have been told to find new clubs, Warnock thinks that there are too many in the squad and it's stopping the younger players progressing. A agree with this if you can't get a first team start by 23 you need to go to another club.

Warnock has also said that there will be some from the 1st team squad told they can go in January and said there will be a few surprises.

It's been already said that Manga can go and that Huws can go out on loan.

Discuss

2. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

get the feeling Noone and Pilks will be off i hope he doesn't sell o'keefe as i think he can do Ralls job but better in the midfield (press opposition players hard), i can however see warnock bringing some premier players in with strikers a midfielder and a keeper (despite me liking Amos quite a lot actually)

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I supoose it depends if we can find enough buyers - unless we give them away like Hudson, Burgstaller and Guerra.

Of the senior players, there scope to shift at least half a dozen that will probably never get a game under Warnock.

The defence can shed Manga and Richards for a start and probably Declan as well.

Midfield is ripe for pruning. Huws, Noone, Kennedy and even Immers could be shown the door - I'd keep Pilks.

Up front the only one worth keeping (for this season at least) is Lambert - Gounongbe, Zohore and Chamakh are a waste of wages.

If that lot goes then we need 4 or 5 genuine contenders for a place in a Championship starting 11 - we don't need any more bench fillers.

4. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

He's winning me over too, great to see him catching the ball and not punching it every time. For a while I thought they had changed the rules.

Ccfc4ever likes this.
  5. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that except these 3;
    John- good backup left back
    Huws- still only young and never really given a chance (a defensive midfielder can't thrive in 20 minutes at the end of a match like a striker or winger can
    Gounongbe- Warnock sees something in him and he could be one of those that needs a season with a good manager and he'll start firing, he played decently against a very good Brighton defence yesterday, if he starts against Ipswich i fancy the confidence boost could carry him for a bit as if eel he's struggling after the Brimingham miss on the first day

6. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I've seen nothing in Huws to make me think he can do any sort of job for us and that includes his Wales games. He sees himself as a box to box mf but I just don't see any of the attributes needed for that.

As for Gonzo he needs a goal really soon otherwise any confidence he still has will be totally shot. Why was Lambert out? Will he be back next week?

7. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Looks as if Warnock is doing a roots and branches review. I assume it has Tan's blessing. A big clear out by the look of things.

Who would be leaving the U23s? Who would then play in the U23s?

Is Warnock in this for the long haul? Why would he take an interest in the U23s otherwise?

Maybe my inference is wide of the mark.

Less worried about a keeper, but a couple more wingers and a couple strikers we definitely need.

If we assume two players for each position plus a few spares and youngsters, who doubles up for the midfielders? Do pilks and noone stay or does warnock want better?

8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think those 3 will get a game under Warnock unless there was absolutely no alternative through injury or sickness of others.

Declan and Huws do not figure in Warnocks plans and are consuming wages whilst Gounonbe has played because there is no other credible alternative to Lambert up front.

If we don't get a couple of decent front men in January we can write off the season and just play to stay up - if we're not doing it now.

9. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

10. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

That's one way of looking at it Remote.

The other side could be that he has been told to further cut costs to give him any sort of budget for new players.