1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Makes for painful reading

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Bodinki, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

2. bluemoon2

bluemoon2 Well-Known Member

Off all the players that have been sold on , the one I regret most is Petr Cech. Apart from being far more talented in the keeping department than Courtois, he was a big contributor to team spirit as well . Of the rest Mata was a surprise departure but I think Fabregas has done as well in the role. As usual these things are all about being wise after the event!

Bristol Blue likes this.
  3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's a hell of a list. <laugh>

4. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

You could do the same article on 6 or 7 of the premiership teams and reveal a similar, and in some cases more depressing story, what it cant do though is reveal what might of happened if they had stayed, its pure speculation to suggest that they would have achieved the same levels had they stayed put, as some players just aren't the right fit at the time and also the players themselves were more likely under more pressure to preform under the manager of the day.

Blueman likes this.
  5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Since hardly any of them ever played for Chelsea, at least not in abundance, we will never know.
    Cech and Mata certainly performed for Chelsea.
    Lukaku, Bruma, De Bruyne, Sturridge and Bertrand were never even given a chance.....so it is equally pure speculation to say that they WOULDNT have become great players if they had stayed.
    Schurrle is a total mystery to me why we sold him....I always thought he was very good.
    Felipe Luis I understand was out of our control, he got homesick and wanted to go back to Spain.
    Ramires I agree with selling.

6. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Bit of a sensationalist article. Since when has Bertrand been a centre back? Oh since it enabled the author to shoe horn in both Luis and Bertrand! Likewise Bruma at right back. And not having Lukaku walking into our team. Costa is far better.

Don't think Mata has done anything much since he left us and we got good money. Luiz is now back and we made about 20 million in the process.

I liked Schurrle but he was very hit and miss and his best position was cutting in from the left, aka Hazard's position. The author though puts him right wing to compare him to Pedro and Moses. Well how about compare him to Willian who has spent the past 2 years in that position?!?!

The only real one who would dramatically improve us is KDB. That on hindsight looks a mistake, even if his application was questionable.

7. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

If we go with the 3-5-2 formation, then Lukaku would improve us being upfront with Costa, Lukaku is better than any of our other strikers bar Costa.
    Cech is still and imo, always will be, better than Courtois, so he would also improve us, albeit marginally.

------------------Cech-------------------

------Zouma------Luiz-----JT---------

Azpi--Willian--Kante--Hazard-Bertand

-------Lukaku----------Costa----------

That'd be a team that would challenge, and then some.
    Bertrand was a rock for us in the CL in that left mid position.

And thats WITHOUT De Bruyne.

--------------------Cech---------------------

-------Zouma--------Luiz--------JT---------

Willian--KDB--Kante--Hazard-Bertand

---------Lukaku-----------Costa-----------

if you fit him in, you could dump Azpi and move Willian out further, and stick KDB next to Kante in the middle.
    All pipe dreams I know, but that would be a good team.

8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Sorry bod going to have to disagree. Schurlle was always hot and cold and i just dont rate as a footballer. Hes not a striker and hes not a great winger. Hes more akin to walcott pace merchant and decent runs into the box to finish although not a prolific finisher.

Lukaku again im not a big fan of. Hes strong and quick but i dont think he applies himself properly. Prefer costa myself as hes a better finisher. Michy i think can maybe do as good as a job.

Would have loved bertrand personally and he was never given a proper chance. Hes better than alonso and i believe he has a bigger upside. Again felipe luis is class but was criminally underused by mourinho. Tancious hard working strong in the tackle good attacking and bags of energy. Again shining for simeone.

The biggest regret has to be kdb. That mid is wc.

Mata was ny favourite player and met him in real life. A class act and a brilliant person but i dont think hes a player you can carry of you ever want to aspire to be the best in the world. You need athletes around him and we dont have that especially since we play so deep with our criminally slow back line

StanDMan likes this.
  9. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only KDB from that list & Lukaku marginally.

Others are OK - we have good (adequate) replacements.

100% with BobbyD.
    Van Aanholt is better than our current LB choices let alone Bertrand.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Dunno about that. Van Aanholt is great going forward, defensively he's been terrible. He has improved though and he has bulked up in the past year (so light before) but i'm still not a fan of his. He's part of that shocking sunderland defence.

11. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sunderland's defence lacked so much in the Centre back pairing.
    Van Aanholt is decent tbh.