1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Magpies v Owls - a lame attempt at a Match Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

We're a championship side so we're bound to lose a few games.

Seriously the amount of arrogant attitudes I'm seeing is ridiculous!

Wednesday played well and that's has more to do with the result than anything else.

If we do get promoted you better all be ready for another relegation scrap and hold back on the booing because without an oil rich Arab that's all we will ever be.

Our entire squad lacks any real quality outside Lacelles and Shelvey who arnt even top half premiership players

The rest and I include the vastly overrated Ritchie aren't good enough so it's amazing we're doing so well

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I knew shelvey being out was going to be a problem last night. Cost me a lot of money. I should of cashed out after city game. Still up 50 but if we hadn't been so sh*te would have been properly celebrating

3. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

about the ref - well it seems that this ref Paul Tierney has something against us
    before anyone moans that I can't blame the ref, well if you're better than a level 2 ref, then you can call me
    while most of you talk about and watch formation and tactics I watch the ref's performance

If you read the BBC timeline of last night's game
    you can count that they committed 15 fouls in the first half alone
    5 of those fouls were committed by the same player number 45 Forestieri (dirty bastard)
    who was spoken too on a couple of occasions but was never booked
    shocking that a player can commit so many fouls in such a short time and not be punished
    the referee could not see that Sheff Wed employed systematic fouling tactics to disrupt the game
    yet pulled Lacelles to one side to speak to him about us moaning at the amount of fouling

last year's encounter was v Bournemouth
    extract from nufc.com
    Referee: Paul Tierney - first senior game in charge of Newcastle for the Lancastrian official - and only the fifth Premier League appointment of his career.
    He let a handful of questionable tackles go without comment but called fouls on other occasions for the merest of contacts and theatrical tumbles.

this season we had him ref us against Barnsley
    extract from nufc.com
    Referee: Paul Tierney - Lancastrian appointed to his first Magpies game of the season.

We had the dubious pleasure of his company in March, when his poor officiating did nothing to aid our cause during a 1-3 defeat by Bournemouth at Gallowgate.
    And tonight Tierney had a valid claim to being Barnsley's man of the match, indulging the Tykes players as they blocked, kicked and man-handled Gayle in their own half and then tumbled over under the slightest contact up at the other end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it seems that it is all right to kick us off the park

now does anyone want to discuss the Laws of the Game ??

4. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

They were dirty last night, but I wouldn't say any of them warranted reds, they clearly just saw us as soft touches, and realised they could easily bully us and control the game and all it would cost them was a couple of yellows.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  5. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

due to the inept official, but was he inept, out of his depth or vindictive, we all have opinions
    either way his weak performance allowed them to disrupt the game
    I thought the tackle on Anita could of been red, the player made no attempt to get the ball and played the man
    ( dangerous play- likely to endanger another player )
    yes I'm biased, but I can tell you, so are the other refs

leez and Delusional Full Stop like this.
  6. Captainchaos.

If they were dirty we need to practice influencing the ref better

7. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Agree with the Hangman.

Wed just systematically fouled throughout the game and spread the fouls around to try and avoid any single player from being sent off. Referee was shocking again and had a very poor game. Not blaming him for the defeat as we had a few below par and Colback is not Shelley who for me is the best player in the division.

Poor refereeing does impact upon the game however and 2 Wed players should have been off. One for the foul on Anita and the other, can't remember who it was, who dragged one of ours down off the ball as we were breaking. Can't remember who as was to busy shouting at the poor excuse of a referee...again.

BBC match stats

Home TeamNewcastleAway TeamSheff Wed
    Possession
    Home64%
    Away36%
    Shots
    Home9
    Away13
    Shots on Target
    Home4
    Away5
    Corners
    Home11
    Away5
    Fouls
    Home11
    Away23

A foul every 3 minutes and 55 secs approx by the thugs from Yorkshire. Going off Footstats average for all teams in Championship this season is between 10 and 14. So just about twice the average number of fouls which suggests to me a deliberate plan. Combine that with no red cards but 6 yellow cards suggests spreading the fouls around the team again suggesting a deliberate plan. Disgusting tactics and a disgusting team makes me hope they make the play off finals again and lose again.

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

They were full value for their win and fully deserved the victory. We threw another of "those" performances we've been prone to all season. If anyone is any doubt we are no more than a good championship side, then just watch a rerun of that game. We don't have many PL standard players.

Gayle got bullied far too easily and it took Rafa far too long to realise the game needed Mitros physicality. The midfield is so bland. Hayden, Colback are just plodders. We lack pace at full back which means there is no overlap. Gouffran and Ritchie offered little but they are inside forwards as opposed to wingers so need full backs like Yedlin going past. Ritchie's defensive work was appalling - left Anita with 2 all the time. People go on about Shelvey and how we missed him but he is not even a top half pl midfielder. We do miss him but only because the quality is midfield is so poor.

We will likely do enough to squeeze up but this side is nowhere near as good as the one we went up with last time regardless of stats etc. The amount of work required in the summer is a worry.

The bright spark is young Atsu. He came on and we came alive because he has pace and can make defenders work and pull them out of position. Perez is also a worry - I just don't see his use to us.

Benitez is hailed as some sort of God by some but whereas I'm glad we've got him and he will set this club up for years to come, on quite a few occasions this year his subs and sitting on his hands too long is worrying. It's like we have no plan b for when the oppo plays well or tactically get the better of us like yesterday.

A frustrating night for all concerned. I don't understand the desire to place any blame on the officials. We just weren't good enough.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  9. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

So are you saying th referee didn't have a poor game?

For me he clearly did and he failed to "protect" our players time after time last night. Wed were systematically fouling and the referee failed to notice or address it. Clearly that was going to have an impact on the game otherwise they wouldn't have used that tactic. Nowadays teams aren't supposed to have an enforcer a la Stiles, Bremner et al. Gayle was bullied but he was entitled to protection from the referee which the referee clearly failed to give.

Above I have agreed most of our players were below level required but to ignore the referee's impact is just closing your eyes to reality and hence why his performance deserves comment.

10. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Aye but its jonjo shelvey not zidane! Swansea were laughing when we bought him and id argue it was only up til a few weeks into this season he showed any consistency over a match even. I just think if leeds can storm up table wi their cms then benitez can replace shelvey and not the style, most of the time it offers protection so i dont mind it

11. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

Anyone got the stats for the number of headed goals against us and goals from dead ball situations. we have a hopeless back 4, Clark is the exception.

12. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

He wasn't great but he was not particularly poor. You could sense the frustration at our lack of quality in the ground. This for me then spilled over into looking for someone to blame. I thought sheff wed were very good and played a perfect away performance. They were cute with their fouls. Not many yellow card offences and spread them about well when they were. Physical and niggly but it's not checkers.

Gayle just did not fancy it. Went down very easily on a number of occasions. This was countered with niggly fouls the ref didn't really pick up on. You can't condemn one without the other or try to claim one was as a result of the other. It's just blinkered in my opinion. Perez likewise.

To be honest I think it's a load of sour grapes because our team got physically bested. We need to man up because they are not the first side to target our weak spot. We have a soft core.

Teams are not going to be like Birmingham and just roll for us. We need to learn to battle and Rafa needs to learn how to counter it when it occurs. He has managed in Italy so he must have seen it plenty. Find a way to win and make tactical adjustments. It was blatantly obvious at half time we needed two up top to occupy the centre backs. Gayle needed space and Mitro was the only way to create it. Also there was no pace wise and this was allowing the full backs to push on. Atsu should have been on too. I don't really understand why Yedlin and Lazaar are not playing. They bring pace to the side. We are just inviting trouble and it's a very negative approach.

It suggests we are either being very negative, very stubborn and perhaps not doing our homework scouting wise with the opposition.

13. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

The biggest factor in the result last night was how well Sheffield Wednesday played, not how poor we were or the ref. IMHO like.

We need to learn to break down teams who set up defensively against us and stop us playing. Or buy the players who can.

14. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Loathe to criticize Rafa, but our home defeats are largely down to his tactics and failure to identify subs properly. Last night night was a physical game and with Gayle being outmuscled it was crying out for Mitrovic to come on and mix it about. Who came on though? Perez. Starting one up up top at home is causing us problems. Mitro and Gayle should be playing.

Midfield - We had two defensive midfielders starting at home to a very average Sheff Wed side. Diame should have played in the centre alongside Hayden. I don't care that Diame was crap again- He may have had a better game in CM since that is his best position. Colback is ****. He will always be ****. That will never change. He generally weakens our team whenever he plays.

Defence - Paul ****ing Dummett. The Championship sides must watch videos and be like 'attack their left side.' Dummett is **** beyond belief. Get ****ing Lazaar in that side.

Anita - He can be very good or very ****. Last night he was the latter. Yedlin would have ripped them a new arsehole with his pace and tbf has done little wrong when he has played.

Ritchie - Starting to get annoyed with him. He has been bang average for most of the season to be honest. He doesn't beat his man and his final balls are awful a lot of the time. Atsu, when he has played has posed a far bigger threat. We looked far more dangerous when he came on.

Ayoze Perez. Where to start with him. He is a liability. He comes on and coasts. He offers nothing. No skill, no product, no physicality, no presence. He is a damp squib that is living on a reputation he built up during his first season. Why he is given a shot ahead of Mitrovic is baffling. He isso predictable. Tries his little tricks that don't work and loses the ball. Falls over as if he has bern shot. Rarely tracks back. The lad is stealing a living and his time is up. He is not good enough for the Championship, nevermind the Premier League. I am sick of seeing him play. Rafa needs to watch his contribution both this season and last and realise that he brings nothing to the side.

15. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

One thing you need to get used to with Rafa is that he won't make a sub before 60 mins unless he's forced to. At Liverpool he often would make one bang on 60 and not a second before! Very rarely will he do anything different at HT, despite the best impact a sub has ever had in his career being the HT change he made in Istanbul to bring Hamann on!

16. leez

leez Well-Known Member

prob the kick up the arse we needed ... rafa will sort this ..i am sure in jan ..

17. Captainchaos.

Wow what a delicious lemon cake