1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[Mafia] (Sign-Up and Discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DHCanary, May 31, 2013.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Afternoon all,

We had a discussion a few weeks back about ways to keep this forum busy over the summer, and I suggested running a Mafia game (which we've had success with on the F1 board), and that seemed pretty well received. The game consists of a group of people trying to work out who the anonymous killers are, before too many people get killed.

How it works: Once I've got an idea of numbers, I'll randomly assign players the roles of killers (mafia), the doctor, the cop, and general "innocents" by PM, so nobody knows anyone else's role. The game works on a "day"/"night" cycle, with players having different things to do at certain times. By Day and Night, I don't mean literally, I'll just let each part of the cycle run until everything necessary has happened.

Killers: Each night, they decide between them who they want to bump off, and PM me their name. During the day, there job is to avoid people working out who they are. The killers win if they kill everyone else before they can work out who they are.

Doctor: Each night, the doctor PM's me the name of someone they wish to save from the killers. If they guess right, nobody dies.

Cop: The Cop can PM me the name of someone they wish to investigate each night, and I'll let them know if they've identified a killer or not.

So each "night", the above happens, and then in the "morning" I'll put up a "Day" thread, usually with some kind of narrative detailing who's been killed. The remaining players then have to try and work out who the killers are, and vote on who they wish to "lynch" to try and protect themselves before the next night. At the end of each day, the mob kill whoever they think is most guilty, in the hope of finding the killers.

I'm only roughly out-lining the game here, if people are interested then I'll start the game and include fuller rules. It sounds a little complicated, but it's really fairly straightforward, and we've had a lot of fun with it on the F1 board, and we're now looking to start out fifth game. If people are curious what the game looks like, our 4th game intro-thread is here, with the full rules. The day threads look something like this.

We've found that the game works really well, but you really need the key players to be logging on nearly every day, or at the least every other day, or things get slowed down. But, if you sound interested, comment saying so, and we'll see if we can get a game going.

Current players:
    -JKCanary
    -Hucks for Manager!
    -ThaiCanary
    -YellowLittle
    -Cruyff's Turn
    -gruffnuts
    -Dazz19
    -Cornish Canary
    -Canary Rob
    -Maestro
    -ncgandy
    -I Clean Holty's Boots

2. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

I'm on here pretty much every weekday DH, so provided we get the numbers I'll be interested bor.

3. Hucks for Manager!

Hucks for Manager! Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could be quite good fun DH, especially if the mob start desperately 'lynching' exasperated innocents! I'm in, providing you get the numbers. <ok>

4. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Sign me up, sounds interesting

5. YellowLittle

YellowLittle Well-Known Member

I am up for that.

6. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

On the F1 board we've run it with around 10 players, any less and it doesn't take too very long. I've seen other forums do this with upwards of 30 players, with other roles added in as they've felt appropriate, so really any number can be accommodated. Ideally an even number is good, but it doesn't matter too much.

7. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

Count me in.It sounjds more fun than watching Stoke play,sorry I meant paint dry.

8. Dazz19

Dazz19 Active Member

Go on, I'm in.

9. gruffnuts

gruffnuts Active Member

Keen. As a bean.

10. Cornish Canary

Cornish Canary Active Member

I'm in. Looks like it could be fun!

11. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Sold. I'm in.

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Me too please DH

13. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Sounds a slice DH, would like to take part please.

14. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

Sounds pretty good, i shall give it go please <ok>

15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Well we've definitely got enough interest, so I'll get things started tonight. Until then, there's still time to sign up if you're interested.

16. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

DH, is there any chance you could delay or give us a role that I don't need to pay much attention too over the next day or 2 as it's my wedding anniversary tomorrow and were going to London Monday?

17. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I'll assign roles randomly. We've currently got a dozen players, of which only 4 have active roles, so you've a 1 in 3 chance of having to be particularly active. That's the best I can offer you as it's unfair to rule you out as a suspect before the game has even started.

18. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Ok, let's get this started.

Welcome everybody, to...

The not606 Summer Tour!

[video=youtube;rbNP5yqg7hc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNP5yqg7hc[/video]​

What with the Canaries flying out to the US of A for their pre-season friendlies, our motley crew felt this was a perfect opportunity to get together, see the States, and cheer on our boys. We all rendezvoused in San Diego, with a bus hired to take us up to Sacramento in time for the first game, stopping off in LA and Vegas on the way. After a long, tiring flight, the group had a couple of drinks, before settling down for the night in their hotel, and nearly everyone quickly went to sleep. However, unbeknown to the rest of the gang, there were two killers in their midst! These two cold, calculated assassins had a bone to pick with the rest of the group, and had secretly vowed to kill someone each night of the tour...

[video=youtube;y8Kyi0WNg40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Kyi0WNg40[/video]​

But, for now, everyone went to bed, blissfully unaware of the heartless intentions of their 'friends'.

Ok, this is now the "Night Phase" of the game, and therefore you are all asleep! This means that you can't discuss anything about the game until you wake up the next morning. Shortly, I'll be PM-ing roles to people, so please make sure your inbox is empty! If your inbox is full, I'll try and leave you a message via the rep system, but PMs are far easier for me.

How it works:
    1. After I've written this, I'll randomly assign the roles of killers, cop, doctor and fans by PM.

2. Once roles are assigned, we'll begin day/night cycles will begin.
    i. Night: When people know their roles a night will consist of each member with a special role PM-ing me the name of the member they want to kill/save/investigate. Where necessary I'll reply with what's needed.

i. Day: Once the night cycle has finished, I will post a new thread, explaining the events of the night before (like who's died). The thread is then a free-for-all (for rules see below) for people to argue who they think the killers are. When you've heard enough to make your mind up, post Vote: <Insert Name> in the thread, and after a set time period (2 or 3 days?) (or when the conclusion is obvious, the person with the most votes will be lynched, and then a new night cycle will start. If at any point you wish to change your vote in the light of a new argument, please edit your first vote, rather than posting a second one.

Roles:

The murderers: Two murderers will be elected, and will know the identity of each other, but will be unknown to everyone else. During each night cycle, between them they must decide who to kill, then PM me the name of the person they wish to assassinate.

The cop: The cop will also be elected anonymously by PM from me. Each night, they will PM me the name of someone they wish to find out the identity of. I will then reply to them by PM telling them whether the person they asked about is a killer or not. (The doctor will not be revealed this way)

The doc: As with the others, the doctor is anonymously informed of their status by PM. Each night, they PM me the name of one person they wish to save from assassination. This can be themselves or any other member.

Fans: Those not allocated a special role are simply fans, they either sleep blissfully through the night, or get brutally murdered in their sleep. They are most involved in the day cycle, where they try and argue over who they think the killers are.

Rules:
    • Yes people are being brutally murdered left, right and centre, but please by nice to each other in all discussions.
    • The cop, the doctor, and the fans, can all be murdered. For now, we'll stop the killers tactically bumping each other off for simplicity.
    • If someone is killed in a night cycle, their identity will forever be a mystery, people killed in a day cycle will cry out their role as their dying words
    • Once killed, you are not allowed to post in the 'day' threads, or talk to anyone about the game via PM
    • Only the murderers are allowed to communicate with each other by PM. All other discussion must take place in the 'day' threads.
    • During the game, you can claim to be anyone you want (Ie, the killer could claim to be the cop), but, you can never provide any definitive proof of your identity (like printscreens of your initial PM). You can present an argument as to why you are who you say you are, but never physical evidence
    • If I've missed something, I reserve the right to add to the rules as needed, and if an independent adjudicator is required, my decision will be final.

Feel free to ask any questions about the game, or if you think something needs clarification, say so and I'll add to the rules, or we can decide a solution between us. These rules are identical to the ones I've used on the F1 board, and we've had no issues with them over there.

Current Players:

-JKCanary
    -Hucks for Manager!
    -ThaiCanary
    -YellowLittle
    -Cruyff's Turn
    -gruffnuts
    -Dazz19
    -Cornish Canary
    -Canary Rob
    -Maestro
    -ncgandy