1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Loyalty

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by WWOCB, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Essex Al

Essex Al New Member

An example of loyalty from the 50's

I run a Sheltered Housing complex for the elderly, I have a gentleman by the name of Sandy Anderson living with us. To this day he still holds the record for the most league appearances for Southend United (494). A really lovely man.

I think it would be very hard to find that sort of loyalty to one club these days simply because money talks!

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Loyalty is a two way street- will a club keep a long serving player if he has no use to the team? It's messed on both sides.

3. robbieaddick

robbieaddick Member

Clubs are tied to the contracts though, Parker didn't want to play for us and engineered a move away.

We didn't want Yassin or Mcleod and we got stuck with them and their wages for three years!

4. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

A lot of sense being talked here and I agree that in the modern era loyalty is a two way street and money and financial security is a major issue for players. All of which combines to give the culture that we see today. Loyalty also has to be shown throughout the organisation and we as fans are as guilty breaking loyalty as anyone else. The boo boys (as our missing friend would call them) attack and undermine any feeling of loyalty between club and player. The manager merrygo round is another example where we might want to ditch a manager and in turn we have no loyalty for them either. On this board we see countless issues of criticism of players when we don't know what is going through there head or there relationship with club and manager. I am probably as guilty as the next man in doing this and sometimes on reflection doubt the validity of comments I may have made. However, I will still make them.

As for Elidiot as goalkeeper rather than Sullivan, what I saw of Sullivan last season was a keepr who earned trust from the defence and commanded his box. However loyal Elliot is and forged through our academy etc. I d didn't see that from him and there were occasions when I questioned his commitment. I think the no 1 shirt should be parked with Elliot and Sullivan having twelve and thirteen to stimulate genuine competition between them. Let's break with tradition and give the #1 shirt to an outfield player or possibly even the captain!

Semedo I would be very sorry to see go and if we can reach a reasonable settlement on wages I would love him to stay. If he doesn't then I will accept the inevitable and if crippled alice signs him then I will wish him well, hoping to waive him a fond au revoir as they get relegated next season and we go hope.

Loyalty is earned and we as a club, players, managers owners and fans have done little to earn it in the last few seasons.