1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looking ahead to next weeks Europa League second leg...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Roberto, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Roberto

Roberto Member

Looking ahead to next weeks Europa League second leg encounter with Sparta I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the match and the potential inclusion of academy players Coady, Sterling and Ince.

To be honest I really want us to win the Europa league this season. The Sparta tie isn’t the hardest but isn’t the best either. N’Gog struggled the other night, he was bullied out the game by Repka (who should’ve been yellow carded prior to the double booking him and N’Gog got) and his hold up way was not great at all.

Kuyt also had a poor game he gave the ball away too much and his first touch was once again crap.

The only bright spark for me was Wilson. He kept the ball well didn’t panic in possession and didn’t shy away from the tackle. I’d include Wilson in the team again. I don’t see any reason not too. Cole had a good start when he came on but he failed to change the game too much for us, but for me his desire was a lot better than Maxi so I’d also include him over Maxi.

Based on N’Gog performance the other night I wouldn’t want him to start. I’d prefer Kuyt up front despite his poor showing in Prague, the benefit of this would be the have him running Repka all other the pitch and Kuyt can hold his own in the tackle. If only we had Carroll and Suarez… BUT… fate has left us without them. I think it's likely that Gerrard and Agger will return and for me it’s Gerrard's performance which for me will be decisive. He bossed the Napoli game at Anfield and in my opinion Napoli were more equipped than Sparta.

If we start the game well and get a couple of Goals I’d like to see Sterling on towards the end. His pace alone would be handy with the defenders already knackered from Kuyt’s hard work (hopefully). I’d also like to see Coady get in there at some point maybe after Gerrard is done destroying Sparta (again hopefully) replace him like for like.

I’m thinking a possible, 4-1 win to the reds.

Goals from: Gerrard (pen), Agger, Raul M, Cole. And Kweke (don’t know spelling) for Sparta.

<magic><badger><magic>

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I don't think Ngog will play again after that performance. I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him in the summer - he really looked like he didn't want to play the other day.

I think we'll see Pacheco playing since he's one of the only forwards we've got left that isn't europa tied or injured. Him and Kuyt up front should look good and I'd back him to get a goal if he plays, or an assist at the least.

Unfortunately I don't think the youngsters will get a run out in this game, we need to win this one so I think a bit more of an experienced lineup will be used, perhaps without Gerrard though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same 3-5-2 lineup, but with Kelly back in RWB and Johnson LWB. Soto, Wilson and Agger back 3 - Wilson impressed me against Sparta, he looked very steady and could be found all over the pitch at the same time.

In midfield I'm going to take a wild guess and say it'll be Raul Meireles, Lucas and Shelvey in the middle, with Lucas sitting behind Meireles and Shelvey slightly. Up front Kuyt and Pacheco.

Currently I think this is the best mix of youth and first team we can get without sacrificing anything important.

My heart says 4-0, my head says 2-0. Depending on the team we put out, should be a comfortable game - but we need to look out for 18 year old Kadlec, he looks really good and if we were lacking forwards then I'd want us to go for him.

3. Roberto

Roberto Member

I'm not sure that Kenny will take Carra out the team especially if he has no Gerrard to captain it.

Also isn't Shelvey injured for a while...? Might be wrong but I thought he had a knee problem?

Reina

Carra-Kyri-Aggs

Johno < > Wilson

Lucas

Raul < > Gerrard (c)

Cole

Kuyt​

Have a bench of: Gulacsi, Sterling, Pacheco, Aurelio, Kelly, Coady, Skrtel

4. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Sorry yes, forgot about his knee injury. Gerrard is looking a bit tired to me, I think it's about time we started to play him in games where we need him, after all he probably has another 3 years left in him, and in that time we've got to find a replacement, that replacement has to get games too.

5. Roberto

Roberto Member

Gerrard for me still has that ability tired or not (West Ham 2006) and given that he's had the last week or so off he should be a tad refreshed.

As for his replacement... Well... I agree that time is not on our side here... I can't see anyone from the academy making that step up in 2-3 years. I think we'll end up bringing in someone to see us through until Coady is up to scratch.

6. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Ngog will come good when Andy Carroll is ready,I'm sure of it,Hold up play isn't Ngogs thing,running off the target man is.It will not only be Ngog that will benefit from having a 6ft 4 tank in the side,the midfielders will also benefit,the team will benefit too as they already have brilliant delivery from set pieces,now they someone to take advantage of it,as Big Andy is lethal in the air,as well as having a lethal left foot.Its scarey thinking about what he'll bring to the team.Crouch was good,but this lad has the overall size to crucify defenders.

7. crazyhorsealegend

to be honest i think we should concentrate more on the premiership and try to get that champions league spot which i firmly believe is still in our grasp.
    yes i also believe kenny should play the youngsters in the second leg to give them some experience and if we get into the next round he should continue with them and then he can bring them through next season along with other transfer targets he will buy.
    yes i did say he (kenny) as i firmly believe he will still be in charge next season,only a moron could not appoint him!!!!!

8. Roberto

Roberto Member

I do think N&#8217;Gog has potential but I doubt whether he&#8217;s at the right club to fulfill that potential. I don&#8217;t see him getting games ahead of Carroll or Suarez and there was talk of us signing another striker in the summer. If we can loan him out to another premier league club he might progress but even regardless he&#8217;s only ever gonna be third option or even fourth if like I said we get another in. But I can&#8217;t predict the future so perhaps he will become a decent striker for us and maybe a good option to switch around with Suarez and Carroll.

I&#8217;m always hopeful that we&#8217;ll get fourth but I think that would require some phenomenal football over the last set of games. I trust Kenny a lot but I can&#8217;t see us going the rest of the season without dropping more points like we did against Wigan, unless of course Carroll and Suarez both click straight away and hit the ground running. It&#8217;s possible but not very likely to happen.
    I agree Kenny will be here, NESV haven&#8217;t put a foot wrong and they&#8217;ve dealt with some stuff really well. I find it hard to believe they wouldn&#8217;t put Kenny in charge. I&#8217;d like to see next season some of the younger players fulfill their potential or go on loan to other premier clubs (like N&#8217;Gog). I think it&#8217;s time to give Pacheco some chances in the team not just the odd one or two but a consistent run to see what he&#8217;s got.