1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ - I am not convinced Birmingham have the money

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 6, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss makes surprising claim about defender as Birmingham City interest continue
    please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image
    Date: 6th August 2017 at 2:05pm
    Written by: Hayden Atkins

The Championship campaign got off with a bang this weekend and for Bristol City, they had arguably one of the results of the weekend.
    The Robins comfortably beat a poor-looking Barnsley side 3-1 at Ashton Gate to fly to the top of the Championship after matchday one, a result that no supporter would disagree with in the slightest.
    In a blistering first-half spell, Bristol looked every bit a team that could do damage in this division next season and for Johnson, it takes the pressure off after a tough campaign last time out.

But there was one man that was left on the bench that would very much have been part of proceedings, had there not been transfer interest in his signature.
    Talented defender Aden Flint is a very public target for Birmingham City but with Bristol rating him at £10million, manager Lee Johnson says he won’t sell for less than that.
    After the game,
    Johnson told Sky Sports News: “The owner has come out and said what he will accept.
    “I am not convinced Birmingham have the money to do that, but it’s important we leave the door open for Aden.
    “We haven’t fallen out. You saw the reception he got from the fans, everybody loves him here.
    “We just move on whether he stays or goes, but that’s the problem sometimes with the window. If it shut tomorrow I would be absolutely delighted,”
    he added.

Landlord’s Verdict
    You can see that Aden Flint is a proper hero in the eyes of the Bristol City fans and manager Lee Johnson certainly doesn’t want to sell.
    But moving forward, asking £10million for a player of his quality is absolutely ludicrous. If Flint wants a move he’ll soon start trying to force it through but Birmingham won’t and shouldn’t pay £10million for a Championship player.

It’s ridiculous.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/transfer-rumours/bristol-city-boss-makes-surprising-claim-about-defender-as-birmingham-city-interest-continues/

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

We should just tell them to up their offer or bugger off, it's developing into an issue and as the article says 'It's ridiculous'

3. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Good talk from Johnson. It will either cause a "will show you whose got the ****ing money!" reaction and they'll meet our valuation or they'll bugger off. Win-win

Supcon72 likes this.
  4. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Hope our price tag puts buyers off on one hand - especially in our own league, but we should relax a bit if a Prem team comes in with a serious bid - if Flint wants away we shouldn't block it - he will be **** for us anyway if his heart isn't with us.

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I don't think we're holding out for £10m, but it would be interesting to see what figure would be accepted - maybe £5m-£6m?

We're in a strong position, so it's good to see us playing hardball. If Flint does end up staying though, it would leave us with an awful lot of centre back vying for game time (unless any can play at full-back?). The biggest victim would likely be Magnusson, who I am worried about letting go to waste - I don't think he'd accept being a bit-part player for two seasons running.