1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ Can't Cope With Full Workload

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 16, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

John Pemberton reveals attempts have been made to ease Bristol City boss Lee Johnson's workload
    By a_stockhausen | Posted: February 16, 2017
    please log in to view this image

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson issues instructions to his players with Bristol City coach John Pemberton and Bristol City coach Dean Holden

John Pemberton has revealed how he and fellow assistant coach Dean Holden have tried to ease the workload on boss Lee Johnson.

Ever since Holden joined the Ashton Gate staff in the Autumn, he and the long-serving Pemberton have combined their resources and talents in a bid to take some of the pressure off City's young head coach.

Both have taken responsibility for training ground matters at times this season in order to free up valuable time for Johnson to talent spot potential new players and focus on the important matter of recruitment for the first team squad.

"We have a lot of players and there is a lot of work that needs to be done, so we tend to share that workload and responsibility between the two of us," confided Pemberton, who joined City in 2013 and acted as assistant manager to Steve Cotterill in the League One title and Johnstone's Paint Trophy double winning campaign of 2014/15.

"It's important to take a bit off the gaffer, because he cannot be expected to do everything. Dean and I come together and pool our in-put when it comes to what we're going to do in training, especially with regard to set pieces.

"With my background being more defensive, I tend to look at how we set up without the ball. For everything else, we have Dean. We share the load and it seems to work fine.

"If that frees the gaffer up to look after other key areas, then that's a good thing. I think he's handled himself very well and stood up to everything that's been thrown at him."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/john-p...n-s-workload/story-30139240-detail/story.html

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Johnson to talent spot potential new players and focus on the important matter of recruitment for the first team squad.

He does not now what to do with his current squad,let alone more players arriving.

<doh><doh><doh><doh>

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This gets more comical every day, now we have Pemberton saying that he and fellow assistant coach Dean Holden have taken on more of the load because LJ has to big a workload..

So they are saying he can't cope, straight from the horse's mouth, no matter which way you interpret it the job is too big for Johnson, his own management are saying it..

Red Robin likes this.
  4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Well you could read it that the majority of our problems is defense and when we don't have the ball.......
    A quote from above by JP "With my background being more defensive, I tend to look at how we set up without the ball"
    Plus he and DH quite often takes training..
    Yes the buck stops with LJ, but in my opinion there are three that are responsible for what goes on the pitch.......If SL sacks LJ, he should sack them all....

5. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I agree all should go:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Coaches follow the instruction of the Manager. They concentrate on the tasks they are given by the Manager. If the Manager was no longer in the post those coaches may change how they work e.g. When Mr Cotterill left John Pemberton instantly altered the way the team played.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  7. oneforthebristolcity

Surely LJ wouldn't give instructions what to do without the ball?? Would he get them to do opposite to what JP is asking of them?
    So you would replace LJ with JP for our survival?

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

JP should not be misunderstood with what he post's and reading it / speed reading it often gives an incorrect picture!
    JP has done very well here, and should you read the comments above has his finger on the button .. I will conclude this post at this point and allow further comments before commenting further .. ( mainly because I have to go out!!! but also to measure others opinions)

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Morning 1For.
    If one of your minions said you couldn't cope what would you think ?
    It wouldn't happen would it.
    This like everything else is just spin emanating from Lansdown desperately trying to hoodwink City fans.
    May the Lord help us.

10. Cliftonville

LJ wouldn't give instructions what to do without the ball? The answer is yes. John Pemberton can only follow Lee Johnsons tactics and ideas. Mr Pemberton then supports that with training 1v 1 drills, overloads, shape, triggers and on.

Mr Pemberton may be thinking "Jesus, WTF is he doing now" or "exactly that is what I would do against them", but his role is to support, yes offer advice, but the role is to support.

So you would replace LJ with JP? I do not believe that BCFC will be relegated. This squad is easily good enough to get through this and Mr Johnson v Derby and Leeds may have seen the obvious green shoots in front of him. Is Lee Johnson the man for the future? No. Would I put John Pemberton in charge as an interim? Yes.

The article looks a bit uneven. Lee Johnson does take training as well!

11. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

If this is the case then maybe LJ is more suited to a Director of Football role, given that he has been pretty damn good recruitment-wise (let's be fair).

Alex Ferguson was well known for doing very little (if any) training/coaching, he'd be watching his coaches do the work for him. Difference is, he knew how to pick a team.

12. oneforthebristolcity

Morning RP
    I think if things are going well then it's much easier to cope, with whatever workload.
    When it's not going so well, I imagine it feels as if all the weight is on your shoulders......That's the name of the game I suppose!

13. oneforthebristolcity

Your views would be how you expect things to work at the club....but might not be reality........for all we know, setups, team selection etc could well be a joint decision.
    I can't imagine that LJ instructs everything at all....yes he's the front man but I don't believe with the advice he's given he does the opposite.

14. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

to me it reads as "We are doing the job we are hired for"

15. Cliftonville

He does not instruct everything, he influences everything, training follows game plans. Ultimately the game plan is Mr Johnsons. If that is not the case ... Well he is not Managing.

Redprintt likes this.
  16. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Maybe its going down the lines I think that it will and that is that LJ will be given some contrived role with someone else taking over first team affairs.

17. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

LJ is supposed to be Head Coach isn't he ? His role is not that of a football Manager in the traditional sense dealing with Directors, Chairman, Cleaners, Ground Staff etc etc .

In my view that means that his main job is on the field activities which is why the likes of Mark Ashton are there surely to deal with signings, contracts and such like ?

So he clearly still doesn't have a clue of what his best 11 is and also cant cope with it ?

And when Managers (or Head Coaches) go then the Coaches usually follow suit as they are all tarred with the same brush...i.e failures ?

18. Cliftonville

Mr Johnson was employed as a head coach. John Pemberton was part of the backroom team. The club has been structured so that the Head Coach can be removed without substantial change in existing back room staff.

In my view that means that his main job is on the field activities which is why the likes of Mark Ashton are there surely to deal with signings, contracts and such like ? Yes. Which was my view as well.

Head Coach now is an acronism. Mr Johnson is clearly the Manager as his influence goes beyond team selection and coaching.

19. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Everytime some IQZERO comes up with something pathetic there is subtle response from the "management"
    We have to assume that probably less than those signing the EVIL POSTS petition have never been in a number of management situation .. and I mean management situation .. I was a "manager" but only of my own departments ..the main one with 2 minor side shoots.. in deed I was just a side shoot of one higher than me .. I responded to the area manager who in turn responded to the regional manager etc ... put more simply I was a departmental head! that seems to be the similar situation at AG ....

HE WAS ALSO BLESSED WITH A SQUAD THAT COMPRISED MANY WORLD CLASS PLAYERS
    Disagree .. when things are going easily you have to keep on top to make sure they stay that way .. sitting back it can become the vicious circle
    Would agree here, he is the front pin of the team that is trying to win games on the field
    Sorry you are trying to add a supposition that has no ground .. he is the head coach .. does training .team selection as a whole or part and runs an eye over prospects.. you cannot change his job or title ...only SL can do that

20. Cliftonville

It is a job title in name only. I do not suppose he is involving himself in Mark Ashtons role. I do not suppose Mr Johnson is bringing in his own players and recruiting them. Mr Johnson states he is.