1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Wolves FA cup 4th Round

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Jan 25, 2017.

?

What will occur?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2017.
  1. Liverpool Win

62.5%
  2. Draw

25.0%
  3. Wolves win

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

I'd totally agree with this. The problem was not the team selection yesterday as such, more that the squad players Klopp thought were good enough, simply are not. It's a much bigger problem than one games team selection <ok>

2. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

We thought we had a chance cos we weren't playing in the fluorescent away kit <ok>

Diego and Page_Moss_Kopite like this.
  3. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

How can team selection not be a problem but the quality of the players is? Definite contradiction IMO :bandit:

By saying that Klopp thought that the squad players were good enough to play but in fact they were really not ready, you lead us to the inevitable question. Who's job was it to know the quality of the players and prepare them? The manager cannot have it both ways. When he makes a judgement about the players and makes his selection, he gets credit when he wins. When he selects 4 teenagers/non regulars, he makes a judgement that they are good enough against a team like Wolves.

So which is it? Was it an underestimation of (and disrespect to ) Wolves or was it an overestimation of the players he manages? Both options condemn him and to be fair, he's held his hands up and said it was his fault not the players. You cannot condemn a player for not being Coutinho.

Zanjinho likes this.
  4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We're also only 2pts away from second. Maybe Chelsea just deserve a bit of credit for where they are?

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING and Diego like this.
  5. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Re. linekars comments - aren't we about to play 4 games in around 10 days?

That's why we have to rotate.

And our manager has gotten us to the final of the LC last year and semi this year - but Klopp doesn't understand English football ??

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Seeing loads of comments (not just on here) about playing the strongest available XI every game and making changes once the game is won. I think they're all stuck in the 80's!!!

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  7. Jimmy Squarefoot

It's crazy isn't it.

And we did play a 'weakened side' - but I listed all of the experienced players that started before. We still should have won with ease.

Zanjinho likes this.
  8. carlthejackal

I have to disagree. That in my opinion is a disrespect to Wolves as a good team. In effect you are saying our reserves are so much better than them and should win no matter what.

It is all a matter of assessing the situation. I've not condemned Klopp for playing weakened sides against Plymouth or even Southampton. But yesterday morning, before the selection I would have thought: "This game against wolves in an early FA Cup round I would play my reserves. But hang on a second: we've just lost the semi final of the EFL, two home games in a row and only one win so far. I have ensure a win to boost morale, to arrest the winless run."

To me, it was not a question of never playing a weakened team. It was that it was not the right time to select the weakest team for a tie like that. An unnecessary gamble wihich backfired. As I said this is not being wise after the event because I said it as soon as the team was announced. Gave a huge boost to Wolves in a match we desperately needed to win.

9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

It's not disrespectful to Wolves. We'd have played the same team had we been playing Accrington Stanley or Manchester City.

We played a weakened team in the League Cup QF game against Spurs (yes, they made ten changes too but we didn't know that until it was too late to change)

No argument with the rest as that all comes down to opinion <ok>

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

Wolves are 18th in the championship and we played at home.

We started Karius, Lucas, Klavan, Moreno, Firmino, Origi and Gini.

Whilst not all of the above are starters, they are experienced and they are squad players.

If we can't rely on them to beat Wolves, how can we expect to rely on them when mounting a title challenge?

There was enough quality on the pitch to beat Wolves. Klopp will take responsibility but the performances of the so called experienced players were terrible. They need to take responsibility as well.

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.

11. carlthejackal

That's what I like and love about football. A game of opinions ;)

Yes, we had some seriously good/experienced players out there. But like people have already said here, if we play 7 such players that means there are 4 inexperienced/young players too. It is about playing as a team and like a chain, its strength is determined not by its strongest ring but its weakest.

I still maintain that it was an error of judgement by Klopp. He's already acknowledged it. It is like throwing the teenagers into a team without much evidence that the team will blend and do well.

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Lol true.

But we also have to remember that we're about to play our 4th game in around 10 days. We have to manage the limited squad that we have.

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Linekar is just like people who try to WUM on forums

If you're not #brave enough to call the manager as disrespectful and lacking knowledge when the team is announced, no one cares about your posts once the result is known

Man Utd have just named a ****e starting XI but so long as the ref throws them a decision #noshowmourinho won't be called out as disrespectful

And yesterday Southampton were disgraceful with their rolling over rehearsal, where was the respect then?

14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Have you seen how much they paid for some of that starting XI? Rooney, Mata, Felliani, Shaw, Martial, Henry Ryan etc were a combined £200m+

* Record Points Total likes this.
  15. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Jimmy, what's the worst thing that could happen on Tuesday? Realistically, what is the best? Was it worth going out of the FA Cup for?

16. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

That bastard of ball going in the net.

^meltdown. <laugh>

<laugh>
    <laugh>
    <laugh>
    <laugh>

17. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Well. I can talk about it now.

Attached Files:

BobbyD and Diego like this.
  18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

^^^^ #rattled

Sweats likes this.
  19. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

20. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Trawling the net to find some dirt on Everton's owner because he can't say much about football <ok> :emoticon-0100-smile

Sweats likes this.